HAL vs RCCL

mbtaz

Hi everyone, I am an avid cruiser and would love to hear from anyone who has cruised both RCCL and HAL. I am doing my first HAL in January on the Eurodam and know very little about this cruise line. I'm so looking forward to experiencing something new. Can anyone tell me some of the differences?

Thanks so much in advance!

I have cruised over 50x on RCI and about 6 times on HAL and HAL is our preferred line these days. These are the differences, IMO and IME:

RCI

- more casual

- more announcements

- more kids and families

- noisier

- better nightlife and entertainment'

- great gyms and saunas

- activities poolside

- better live music (for my tastes)

- great nightclubs

- jazzy ships

- outgoing staff

- more crowded

- cheap bath amenities

HAL

- more formal and traditional

- elegant ships in an old world style

- gracious service

- sommeliers and proper wine glasses used in the dining room

- nicer wine list

- more respect for the dress code of the day

- great bedding

- large bathrooms with spa quality amenities

- wonderful libraries

- low key day and night with not very good live music choices

- better quality food overall

- less crowded ships

- great room service options

- liberal wine policy

The Noordam is a great ship and we totally enjoyed our cruise to Alaska last year. I do prefer the overall design of the Radiance class ships of RCI and think they are amongst the pretties ships at sea. But I prefer the overall experience of a HAL vessel more.

I have cruised over 50x on RCI and about 6 times on HAL and HAL is our preferred line these days. These are the differences, IMO and IME:

RCI

[snip]

- jazzy ships

[snip]

Jazzy music, also?

SIL & I are both RCL fans, but we're looking at HAL for Hawaii next April ...

You mentioned that the gym/spa facilities are much better on RCL, can you go into more detail regarding what's available on HAL?? Is there a walking/jogging track, cross training machines, etc on HAL ... is the gym small, too crowded, not very crowded? Do they offer any aerobics/etc classes, and what is the fee?

thanks very much! Our daily exercise is very important for both of us!

SIL & I are both RCL fans, but we're looking at HAL for Hawaii next April ...

You mentioned that the gym/spa facilities are much better on RCL, can you go into more detail regarding what's available on HAL?? Is there a walking/jogging track, cross training machines, etc on HAL ... is the gym small, too crowded, not very crowded? Do they offer any aerobics/etc classes, and what is the fee?

thanks very much! Our daily exercise is very important for both of us!

Me, too! and the gyms on HAL are more than adequate for a good workout with a nice selection of cardio equipment, a machine circuit and a weight bench or two. They are just as not as well equipped or wonderful as those on Radiance, Freedom and Voyager class which are the best at sea, IMO.

And I love the free steam room and sauna on RCI ships but HAL does not offer that, though there is a thermal suite you can purchase that provides a hydro pool and sauna.

I also found the classes to be more challenging on RCI (step,aerobics, kick boxing) and not as much as HAL but that is likely due to difference in demographic.

The fee is about 11 per class but I have not taken them for the reasons noted. I have observed only while working out.

They do have "On Deck for the Cure" which is a great event if you are a supporter of the Komen foundation.

I had thought to add my opinion here, but see that caviargal has already done a great job of summing up the differences.

We did our first HAL cruise last month (10 day Sea of Cortez on Ryndam) and we were delighted with this cruise...a little disappointed with the lack of variety/quality of music; being a Mexican Riviera cruise, we would have loved some Salsa/latin music on deck now and then. Otherwise it was great.

Previously, our favorite cruise line had been RCL. Guess we'll just have to keep on sampling cruises for ourselves to be sure!:D

HAL has the wonderful wrap-around deck - great for exercise walking. On the Zaandam it was deck #3 and 4 times around was a mile. Being closer to the water than some walking tracks was nice - better views and less wind.

Caviargal hit the nail on the head. RCL is an excellent choice and a very good cruise line for those with families seeking a higher class of cruising. HAL on the other hand is an excellent pick for those looking for the grandeur that seems to be lost on RCL. HAL is luxury but not overly pretentious like some of the higher end luxury lines.

Archived