Is Princess Good for Families?

cyberfilly

Trying to decide on a 2010 Caribbean cruise line for the four of us. We are DH, DW, DS, and DD. DS will be 12, DD will be 14 when we cruise. We're not big partiers, are non-smoking, and enjoy good food, but are not food snobs. The kids love swimming, golf, basketball, ping pong, but not so much the kids clubs (Disney anyway!), and neither kid ice skates. Have only cruised once and it was the 4-day Disney Wonder. Liked it, but it was expensive and not much for the kids to do and the pool was really small.

Looking for opinions on Princess Cruise Line from other family cruisers with tweens/young teens. It will be a 7-day on either the Crown or Emerald out of Ft. Lauderdale. May cruise during Spring Break 2010.

Also need advice on how to convince DH to go on another cruise!

Thanks to all!

My kids have been cruising since they were 7 and rarely did they go to the kid's clubs. What they preferred to do was see the shows, go to the napkin folding classes, tour the kitchen etc. They met up with some dancers and did back stage tours and found hidden doors. Not when they were 7 of course, by then they were teenagers. Princess ships also have enough pools that I've never seen it be a problem to find a place to play. They also joined me during bingo, saw the passenger shows (like the Not So Newlywed Game), spent time in the game room (well library), watched movies in the theater etc. There is lots for them to do ON the ship, and the kids of course were with us for the shore excursions too. You might find that your kids enjoy hanging out with you too, since there is no peer pressure about spending time with the parents. We always found it a good bonding time just walking around and talking - and bingo... did i mention bingo. The kids can play it, they just can't "win" it. Which means if they win, you have to collect it for them.

We have sailed on a number of lines with our children, including Disney. Princess has become our favorite as we feel it offers the best balance of activities for our whole family. Our 14 year old and 8 year old like the kid's program the best on Princess. The staff is excellent and the activities are very fun and age appropriate. Like your kids, mine really didn't enjoy the Disney kids clubs all that much, but they really enjoy the clubs on Princess.

Also, there is a lot to do for families outside of the clubs. Many of the activities onboard are family friendly as notentirelynormal points out. My daughter and I like to do the crafts classes together, and my son loves the pools. We really find that Princess offers the best of all worlds for our family cruises.

Is there a cruise line that ISN'T good for kids these days?

Our daughter has so far only cruised on NCL and loves it. Check out the posts on this forum and you'll see that all of the parents here have great stories and information about all of the major family lines: NCL, RCCL, Princess, CCL... they're all good!

Is there a cruise line that ISN'T good for kids these days?

Our daughter has so far only cruised on NCL and loves it. Check out the posts on this forum and you'll see that all of the parents here have great stories and information about all of the major family lines: NCL, RCCL, Princess, CCL... they're all good!

I agree with this. I'm a Princess cruiser because I find they offer the best for me and my twins (though I want to try RCCL once we're all potty trained...), but really I would narrow the choices down based as much on ports and price, as well as which bells & whistles are offered on a ship - Carnival has huge water slides, RCCL has water play areas, etc.

Best,

Mia

I agree with this. I'm a Princess cruiser because I find they offer the best for me and my twins (though I want to try RCCL once we're all potty trained...)' date=' but really I would narrow the choices down based as much on ports and price, as well as which bells & whistles are offered on a ship - Carnival has huge water slides, RCCL has water play areas, etc.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Looks like we're going to be a mutual admiration society!! ha ha ha I agree with you, too!! When we plan a trip, first we decide what we want to do - easy these days, since the answer is always 'cruise'! ha ha ha Next, we talk about where we want to go... I have to admit that we did think NCL first because of a cruise rewards package we bought last time, but it was still all about the itinerary and port of departure. Being in the middle of nowhere, getting to the port is a HUGE part of any planning we do. I envy all of those who live near ports - I would happily do the same cruise over and over and over if all I had to do was drive to the port!! But I digress... the point Mia has made is really of much more importance than 'what cruiseline'... it's about 'where' and 'what ship'. Our next cruise is going to be on the NCL Pearl. After our last cruise on the NCL Star, we expect the kid's crew to be fantastic (our first NCL was on the Dream, which was a little older and their kids' area was not 'built in' as they are doing now, so it wasn't as fun), and even if it isn't, they have a pool with a waterslide, a rock climbing wall, a tennis/basketball court, bowling lanes... well, suffice to say, my girl will have plenty of options!!

Our itinerary is also going to include places where I've never been, which is always a bonus for me. I started cruising when I was 10, so it's a lot easier for my husband and daughter to find ports they've never visited before than it is for me, but I've never been to Roatan, nor have I ever been to any cruiseline's private island (this one includes NCL's Great Stirrup Cay). For us landlocked souls, it means four ports with foliage, landscapes, and adventure that we cannot find at home even in the summer. We're planning on ziplining, playing with monkeys, sailing, scuba diving (beginner courses that allow 10 year olds), and... enjoying BEACHES!!! Our nearest beach (and don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have one within driving distance) is rocky - not sand, but little rocks... it can be a tad 'sharp' between the blanket and the water, if you know what I mean...

Okay... so I've gotten a bit off course here, but Mia really had it right. You've decided to cruise, now figure out when you want to go, which departure ports are going to work for you, and then look at what itineraries are available and what amenities each ship has. Talk about it as a group and find the cruise that offers the most for everyone.

Also, keep in mind that Spring Break is going to be a madhouse, no matter what ship you're on. The kid's activities that your kids 'think' they won't enjoy are going to be full of kids their age - go the first night, even if they don't think they'll go back, that's when they're going to meet the most potential friends. No matter what you choose, I have no doubt that you're going to love it.

Bon Voyage!!

Mia, YOU aren't potty trained yet? :eek:

:p :p :p :p

One of these days - cross your fingers :rolleyes:

Actually, I probably will pee my pants when both twins are finally potty trained! Besides the usual candy and stickers, I'm also using the "We'll get to go on the big fun Royal Caribbean ship" incentive (don't know why that one isn't mentioned in any of the potty training manuals!).

Hi,

I recently got back from a Princess cruise (with my 9 year old) and we have sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean before. I would just like to put my two-cents in. These are in no way major issues that would make or break a cruise, but they are little things to be aware of if you have kids:

"Free" drinks:

Princess - only water and iced tea. (had to practically beg for milk at other times than breakfast and they ran out of milk towards the end of the cruise) We ordered room service one night and I asked for chocolate milk and was charged $1.50. Bring some kool-aid/crystal lite type individual mixes for a water bottle. We also ended up buying the soda card.

Carnival - lemonade, punch, iced tea, white and chocolate milk, apple juice, and free pop during dinner in the dining room. Never bought a soda card on Carnival.

Ice-cream: (this could be a deal breaker for my son:D )

Carnival - 24-hour self-serve ice cream machine.

Princess - ice cream for dessert at dinner or for purchase by the pizza place. He ordered the LoveBoat volcano every night for dessert!

Kids club:

Princess - not as many hands-on games/crafts, lots of individual playstation time. Not as many kids on board. My son had fun but said he prefers Carnival over Princess.

Carnival - more interaction with other kids, going to the shows as a group, great camp counselors.

Royal Caribbean - this was our first cruise and my son was 4 so I didn't know what to expect but they were WONDERFUL...couldn't get my son to leave!!! Also had an extra carry on bag on the trip home for all the stuff he made.

Every one of our cruises was wonderful and I don't really have anything negative to say about any of the different lines! That said, we are booked again with Carnival for Spring Break 2009.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Shannon

We have been on three Princess cruises and only one Carnival, but our experience has been a bit different.

We have never had any difficulty getting milk on Princess. We would get it every night with cookies from room service and were never charged and it has always been available at the buffet.

When we cruised Carnival we were never under the impression that sodas were free with dinner. In fact, we were asked to show our cards at dinner each evening. Also, they wouldn't let our kids order Shirley Temples with the soda card where that was OK on Princess and RCCL.

My daughter had fun at Camp Carnival, but she actually prefers Princess. She has done lots of really nice crafts and beadwork that she still has from each of our cruises. I also really like the California Science program on Princess as it was fun and educational for the kids. They had group dinners twice during our cruise and a Pajama Party as well. She also really likes doing Ceramics at Sea on Princess.

While there isn't 24/7 self serve ice cream, it's always available free for dessert in the dining rooms at lunch and dinner as well as at the daily ice cream buffet in the Horizon Court at 3:30 p.m. And I love that it is real ice cream and sooo delicious. Some of the frozen yogurts are amazing as well. I loved the mango! The other great thing is the warm cookies and milk that they serve by the pool and other public areas between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. everyday.

I guess it really is personal preference which is why it's so great that there are multiple lines to choose from and they all have something unique to offer.

One other difference that could make a difference to parents in making a decision: On Princess, adults are allowed to join their children (one adult per child) in the kids area. No adult passengers are allowed in the Carnival kids area. I like to go with my kids to play or do the crafts, so Princess works out well for us in that regard.

As far as milk on Princess - we had free room service milk in the morning and before bed, and no problem getting it at every meal in the dining rooms (my girls only drink water & milk - plus Shirley Temples for dinner some nights). We don't do the buffet, but I can see that you would have to ask for it at lunch since it's not out - but I've never had to beg for anything on Princess (or any ship!). That's awful that they ran out on the pp's cruise, but on our 3 cruises, it's been plentiful. I believe RCCL offers free sodas at meals.

I will agree about the 24 hours self-service ice cream on Carnival - that was fun (not as yummy as Princess', but nice to get it whenever you wanted it). On Princess though, my girls did have ice cream at lunch and dinner every day.

Best,

Mia

Archived