1st time using rum runner flasks

Ape Cruizer

I'm nervous about using the flasks, not so much being caught by carnival, but more so flying with the flasks. I know they will have to go in our checked luggage, I'm just worried that they might explode in the plane because of cabin pressure???

I'm nervous about using the flasks, not so much being caught by carnival, but more so flying with the flasks. I know they will have to go in our checked luggage, I'm just worried that they might explode in the plane because of cabin pressure???

They come with insrtuctions on how to fill them and leave a little space at the top. However, if a plane is at cruising altitude the outside air pressure is lower than the ground, not higher. How would things explode?

IF they were exposed to the very low air pressure at 35,000 feet, yeah, the bags would rupture but the cargo bay is pressurized... just like the cabin...

No worries... toss 'em in your checked luggage... I did!!

I just used mine last week.. Granted, I did not fly, but they were underneath all of our clothes, and the straps were tightened down. Not a problem in the world. As a matter of fact, I tested it first by filling it with water and gently stepping on it. It held a lot of weight... I was surprised. There is nothing to worry about in my opinion.

we flew with ours, and had no problems. I followed the instructions exactly, and had them in Ziploc bags just in case. No prob. Our next door neighbor had them out on his balcony and he said he had no trouble either, and it was hist first time with them.

They come with insrtuctions on how to fill them and leave a little space at the top. However, if a plane is at cruising altitude the outside air pressure is lower than the ground, not higher. How would things explode?

I had a package of vacuum sealed coffee explode inside a checked suitcase? From what you said this couldnt have happened .... but it did.

I was flying back from hawaii, so maybe the plane flies higher or something?

I would think the rubber on the rum runner flasks would have more give though and be ok.

I had a package of vacuum sealed coffee explode inside a checked suitcase? From what you said this couldnt have happened .... but it did.

I was flying back from hawaii, so maybe the plane flies higher or something?

I would think the rubber on the rum runner flasks would have more give though and be ok.

Air pressure IS higher at higher elevations/altitudes. That is why they pressurize the cabin... to match the outside pressure so the cabin does not IMplode.

at least I think... correct me if wrong!

Air pressure IS higher at higher elevations/altitudes. That is why they pressurize the cabin... to match the outside pressure so the cabin does not IMplode.

Air pressure declines as you go higher, eventually falling to zero.

A good proof is to observe a closed bag of chips/pretzels. It looks normal at ground level but once at 30K feet it is bulging. why? because the gas inside and the environment around it was at 1 atmosphere of pressure when the bag was sealed. Now at altitude the pressure even in the pressurized cabin is less than one atmosphere and the gas inside the bag is pushing outward against the lower cabin pressure. The air outside the plane is at even lower pressure and the fuselage would explode if it could....not implode.

Submarines want to implode as pressure builds as it descends lower into water.

The cabin is pressurized so human beings can breath and not die :D......not to equal the outside pressure.

A good proof is to observe a closed bag of chips/pretzels. It looks normal at ground level but once at 30K feet it is bulging. why? because the gas inside and the environment around it was at 1 atmosphere of pressure when the bag was sealed. Now at altitude the pressure even in the pressurized cabin is less than one atmosphere and the gas inside the bag is pushing outward against the lower cabin pressure. The air outside the plane is at even lower pressure and the fuselage would explode if it could....not implode.

Shows how much I know! :D

Explained that way it makes more sense though. I just learned something new!

Forget the flasks, stop at the liquor store and pick up 1 half gallon (plastic) and carefully stow it in your baggage to go on the ship. We always do it and also take a case of wine through security and they allow it, don't like it but it is done all the time/ Have fun:) :)

The cabin is pressurized so human beings can breath and not die :D......not to equal the outside pressure.

WOW,, you just went CHarlie brown teacher on me.

Muaw Muaw muaw, Muamuaw muaw mauw???

I've been flying aircraft for nearly 40 years and I can guarantee you that air pressure decreases with altitude...

At 35,000 feet the pressure is about 3.4 lbs/sq in as opposed to 14.7 lbs/sq in at sea level...

We pilot understand the problems associated with decompressed cabins and the rapid onset of hypoxia... essentially your brain dying do to lack of oxygen...

If you tossed a RumRunner out of an aircraft at 35,000 feet the dissolved gasses would start to bubble out, what air is trapped in the bag would expand rapidly and the bag would explode...

Mach

DH and I are flying in and did not have time to get these rum runner flasks. I know we flew with alcohol back from the cruise last year, so I'm not worried about the flight. I'm more worried that I will get caught with the alcohol getting on the ship. Other than the Rum Runners, what is the best type of bottle of alcohol to get to put in my checked luggage?

Should I look for a plastic bottle or one with a platic lid instead of metal or what?

DH and I are flying in and did not have time to get these rum runner flasks. I know we flew with alcohol back from the cruise last year, so I'm not worried about the flight. I'm more worried that I will get caught with the alcohol getting on the ship. Other than the Rum Runners, what is the best type of bottle of alcohol to get to put in my checked luggage?

Should I look for a plastic bottle or one with a platic lid instead of metal or what?

I ordered mine on MOnday and had them Wednesday for a Thursday departure...forgot to order but glad I got 'em...

It amazes me, after all these years, that people still go to great lengths to disguise their booze. We always pack an entire large suitcase with nothing but liquid. Beer, wine, liquor, water, soda, etc.. All in their original containers. It probably weighs 90 pounds, so there is no question what's in it. We drive to ports so we don't have to worry about flight weight limits. It always makes it to our cabin. There is just no need for the sneakiness. It's an unenforced rule, because it's unenforceable.. Think about the logistics involved with hand searching 4000+ bags. Your 7 day cruise would be 6 days because it would take them a day or more to search all the bags. Carrying on is a different story. I have seen alcohol confiscated in carry on bags. Just pack it securely in your checked luggage, and don't worry, mon. I don't even use the bubble wrap/zip-lock combo. I just pack it securely, and wrap large bottles in a towel. I prefer glass bottles. They are susceptible to breakage, but don't succumb to pressure like the soft plastic bottles, and as long as you pack them well, you're good. And you don't have to hide it from your steward either. They're not gonna rat out the cash cow.

It amazes me, after all these years, that people still go to great lengths to disguise their booze. We always pack an entire large suitcase with nothing but liquid. Beer, wine, liquor, water, soda, etc.. All in their original containers. It probably weighs 90 pounds, so there is no question what's in it. We drive to ports so we don't have to worry about flight weight limits. It always makes it to our cabin. There is just no need for the sneakiness. It's an unenforced rule, because it's unenforceable.. Think about the logistics involved with hand searching 4000+ bags. Your 7 day cruise would be 6 days because it would take them a day or more to search all the bags. Carrying on is a different story. I have seen alcohol confiscated in carry on bags. Just pack it securely in your checked luggage, and don't worry, mon. I don't even use the bubble wrap/zip-lock combo. I just pack it securely, and wrap large bottles in a towel. I prefer glass bottles. They are susceptible to breakage, but don't succumb to pressure like the soft plastic bottles, and as long as you pack them well, you're good. And you don't have to hide it from your steward either. They're not gonna rat out the cash cow.

It's a totally different story when you're flying to the port.

It's a totally different story when you're flying to the port.

Yea, but the point is, don't waste your time and money buying flasks and/or transferring liquor out of the original containers. It's just not necessary.

Yea, but the point is, don't waste your time and money buying flasks and/or transferring liquor out of the original containers. It's just not necessary.

Other than the fact that your 90 lbs bag will cost you an extra $50 on the flight...

Archived