Murano-Venice-pizza

o.k., since the search feature has been down all day I will try this and hope to not offend - anyone been to Murano in Venice to see the glass blowing? We saw it on Travel Channel and thought it would be interesting during our day stay before our cruise.

Also, can anyone recommend a great spot for pizza? I know there must be 100's of walk up stands but was thinking of a sit down cafe. thanks so much!

We visited Murano on our Brilliance of the Seas cruise in Apr of 07. We took the water taxi over. There are many places where you can see glass blowers. Most have shops that sell the glass items. Just walk up the canal until you find one. Of course, they will give you a good sales pitch before you leave! There are several cafes along the canal as well. We had a wonderful lunch at one of them and most of them serve pizza. We loved Murano--it was a very relaxing place.

The glass blowing factory will be interesting but there will be high pressure to buy.

There are many places where you can get pizza in Venice. I go to

Ai Leoncini down a little alley on the left hand side of St. Mark's Bascillica.

o.k., since the search feature has been down all day I will try this and hope to not offend - anyone been to Murano in Venice to see the glass blowing? We saw it on Travel Channel and thought it would be interesting during our day stay before our cruise.

Also, can anyone recommend a great spot for pizza? I know there must be 100's of walk up stands but was thinking of a sit down cafe. thanks so much!

We did both on our trip to Venice last May. We were walking along the canal right near St. Mark's Square and were asked if we wanted a free trip over to Murano to see the glass blowers and factory there. Now we knew this was a "set up" to get us to a specific factory but we took the free water taxi ride over anyway. We enjoyed the demonstration and the factory tour but then went off on our own to explore the town. After we spent a couple hours there we caught a vaporetta ride back over to Venice. That ride was not "free" but we had a day vaporetta pass anyway. It does take much longer to go back by vaporetta, but we enjoyed the journey!

That same night we were just wandering on the opposite side from St. Mark's Square - along Fondamento Zattere probably a mile or so back - and then back along a side canal and found a lovely little cafe with outside seating by the side canal that was advertising €10 for a pizza and a carafe of house wine. DH and I split that and it was a wonderful meal. Just keep your eyes open and there are wonderful little places off the beaten path in Venice!

pizza in venice is not a great idea. unless u want to say that u have eaten pizza in italy: it's usually frozen and cooked in the electric oven.

What dishes would you recommend we try? We ate pizza in Naples last year because it is the "birthplace of pizza"; we enjoyed gelato and pasta dishes in Rome. Our cruise in Aug/Sept. 2009 will be our first trip to Venice and we would love to try something that is special to Venice.

Thank you.

Kathy:)

Now I am beginning to think we should reconsider Murano. I hate the badgering and pressure from merchants. It destroys the desire to purchase. We can and do make many purchases while travelling but at our discretion and not because someone has shamed or harassed us in to it. For those of you who've been to Murano would this be the norm or the exception? Maybe we would do better exploring Venice during our day there before boarding our cruise. Thank you to everyone offering advice.

If you only have a day in Venice I would skip Murano unless you really want to see glassblowers. The ride over in a vaporetto is nice, but I wouldn't want to hook up with one of the free tours. Our major purchase, a chandelier, was made in the San Marco area. Not all of the beautiful glass is in Murano and there wasn't a price difference for us. Whatever you do, enjoy Venice. It's a magical city.

Joan

We arrive in Venice on the 2nd, overnight on our ship, and depart the 3rd at 4 p.m. We have some beautiful Murano glass pieces now and I guess that was a motivation in going there. That said, I am sure wandering Venice with our 16 year old son could be a lot more adventurous and rewarding. Hopefully we could stumble upon a decent pizza place. Any thoughts on gondola rides? We've heard pros and cons - touristy vs. magic. We sail and powerboat so I have wondered if this might be a bit boring? Relaxing but . . . . .

Again my thanks to all for all thoughts and advice.

We have been to Venice several times and, previously, looked down on a Murano as much too "touristy" for our "cultivated" tastes. Well, were we wrong! Just before our latest trip there last summer, we talked to a colleague from the university where I used to teach. He had just returned and mentioned that the morning they spent in Murano was a highlight. So we gave it a whirl. What a great afternoon we had--paid for the vaporetto ourselves to avoid any high-pressured sales pitches, had a scrumptious lunch at a charming outdoor restaurant next to a canal, wandered from glass showroom to showroom, then took the vaporetto back when we had had enough.

Sure there were some tacky, "made in China" pieces at some low end shops. But it was very easy to distinguish these from the "good stuff" in the better showrooms. Some of the latter was museum quality, far beyond our means but a lot of fun to look at. And I found candles sticks I had been searching for for years which the showroom made to order and delivered on time as promised. They now grace my dining room table and bring back great memories of that sunny, breezy, relaxed day.

Would I recommend it for a single day excursion on a first trip? Of course not since Venice has so much else to offer. But for those of you who have been to Venice before, it is a lovely morning or afternoon excursion.

Since we are on the topic of Pizza (a favorite topic in our home) I thought i would offer another tidbit about Pizza in Italy. We have noticed that it has become much more popular as prices for food increased due to the Euro. But, most Italians (and Italian restaurants) only serve pizza for dinner. You will often find places marked as "Restaurants - Pizzeria" and will see reasonbly priced pizza (except in Venice where nothing is reasonable) on the menu. But, its not uncommon to enter a restaurant at lunch, try to order pizza, and be told that they do not have pizza at lunch. So, if you want to eat pizza and do not see others in a restaurant with pizza, ask (before you sit) if they offer pizza at lunch. Pizza in Italy is almost always served as a single portion (it fills the plate) and should generally cost 5 - 9 Euros per person. However, in major tourist centers like Venice you may have to pay higher prices. Most restaurants will also charge you a "cover charge" of 1 - 3 Euros per person (this must be listed somewhere on the menu) which generally is supposed to cover the cost of bread (you will be charged even if you do not eat any bread). Another friendly tip is to look carefully at the prices of drinks. Its often cheaper to get an entire liter of house wine (Vino della casa) rather than soda.

Hank

I did find a great sit-down restaurant in Venice that served great pizza at a very reasonable price last May. I had it for dinner (I believe it was €8 for more than could ever eat!) the first night we were in Venice. The restaurant was full of locals. Taverna San Travaso on the Guidecca canal behind the Accademia bridge. (Just don't order off the tourist menu, prices were much more costly. We watched what the locals were ordering!) I also got a great peach Bellini for only €3. (super cheap compared to Harry's bar!)

Since we are on the topic of Pizza (a favorite topic in our home) I thought i would offer another tidbit about Pizza in Italy. We have noticed that it has become much more popular as prices for food increased due to the Euro. But, most Italians (and Italian restaurants) only serve pizza for dinner. You will often find places marked as "Restaurants - Pizzeria" and will see reasonbly priced pizza (except in Venice where nothing is reasonable) on the menu. But, its not uncommon to enter a restaurant at lunch, try to order pizza, and be told that they do not have pizza at lunch. So, if you want to eat pizza and do not see others in a restaurant with pizza, ask (before you sit) if they offer pizza at lunch. Pizza in Italy is almost always served as a single portion (it fills the plate) and should generally cost 5 - 9 Euros per person. However, in major tourist centers like Venice you may have to pay higher prices. Most restaurants will also charge you a "cover charge" of 1 - 3 Euros per person (this must be listed somewhere on the menu) which generally is supposed to cover the cost of bread (you will be charged even if you do not eat any bread). Another friendly tip is to look carefully at the prices of drinks. Its often cheaper to get an entire liter of house wine (Vino della casa) rather than soda.

Hank

Hank,

I haven't traveled in Italy nearly as extensively as you have, but my husband and I were told the 1-3 EURO cover charge was for the napkins and cutlery to be cleaned. I think they tell you whatever just to get the 1-3 EURO extra. Be careful of the chalkboard specials too, it will say dinner for two 25 EURO but that is 25 EURO each, not the two of you for 25 EURO. They also don't normally serve just a glass of tap water either, they want you to buy a bottle of water. And be prepared to eat later, you won't find a restaurant open at 5:00 for dinner.

What dishes would you recommend we try? We ate pizza in Naples last year because it is the "birthplace of pizza"; we enjoyed gelato and pasta dishes in Rome. Our cruise in Aug/Sept. 2009 will be our first trip to Venice and we would love to try something that is special to Venice.

Thank you.

Kathy:)

seafood seafood seafood and again seafood with pasta or risotto . i suggest to ask infos about where the locals go eating and avoiding touristic places that are usually really expensive.

Now I am beginning to think we should reconsider Murano. I hate the badgering and pressure from merchants. It destroys the desire to purchase. We can and do make many purchases while travelling but at our discretion and not because someone has shamed or harassed us in to it. For those of you who've been to Murano would this be the norm or the exception? Maybe we would do better exploring Venice during our day there before boarding our cruise. Thank you to everyone offering advice.

what u call badgering from merchant is more used in south italy and it's a way of hospitality, in venice it's no used since is north. people are colder here hehehehe

Our experience at a Murano glass factory had no badgering involved and when we didn't want to purchase anything there they were still cordial to us. The only item I REALY was interested in (a lovely mirror) was way above my budget, so I just admired it and then left to go explore the little town and the shops along the canals.

We've been to Venice three times and Murano twice. A vaporetto trip to Murano is worthwhile--don't bother with the "free" trip hucksters. If you like the glass, as stated before there is everything from total junk to the most beautiful high end pieces. Don't be afraid to bargain and walk out if needed, especially on anything over 100 euros. I only regret that we didn't buy more glass there when the $ was strong. There was a lovely waterfront seafood restaurant in Murano that was quite good for lunch--it wasn't far from the interesting glass museum. We also thought that the best food by far in Venice was the fresh seafood--look in any good guidebook for some choices.

Les

Hank,

I haven't traveled in Italy nearly as extensively as you have, but my husband and I were told the 1-3 EURO cover charge was for the napkins and cutlery to be cleaned. I think they tell you whatever just to get the 1-3 EURO extra. Be careful of the chalkboard specials too, it will say dinner for two 25 EURO but that is 25 EURO each, not the two of you for 25 EURO. They also don't normally serve just a glass of tap water either, they want you to buy a bottle of water. And be prepared to eat later, you won't find a restaurant open at 5:00 for dinner.

Dinner at 5 pm! My mama would have called that lunch time. If you think the Italians eat late (we find that 8 is a rough norm in that country) try traveling in Spain where many restaurants do not even open their doors until 9 pm. As to buying bottled water, many would cause that a wise precaution when traveling in foreign lands. Many of our fellow Americans have no problem buying bottled water at home (which costs more than gasoline) so why would they be different in Italy. The thing is that every country has their own customs and the cover charge is the norm in Italy. So is the fact that you will normally have to pay extra if you want potatoes or vegetables with your dinner. On the other hand, I like the fact that I can often buy a liter of wine for less than $8. Can you imagine how the Italians feel when they dine in the USA where restaurants have no problem charging more than $30 for a bottle of cheap wine!

Hank

meal times vary a lot along italy, here in north people usually have lunch at 12.30-13 and dinner at 19.30-20 (someone at 12 and 19), in rome lunch at 13-14 and dinenr at 20-21 in naples lunch at 13.30-14.30 and dinenr at 21-21.30 in sicily as far as i know lunch and dinenr later, but i'm not sure since i don't knw sicily so well and i have no sicilian friends to ask to at the moment

Archived