Day trips in Anchorage?

littlegap

Our flight out of Achorage is not until 10 pm. Checkout time is 11. Any suggestions on day trips etc. in or near Anchorage? I have read a little about Girdwood. How long is the drive? What is there to see? Any thoughts? :) Thank you as always!

not in any particular order...

Girdwood is about an hour south of Anchorage. You would retrace the route you take coming from your cruiseship. You could go to Portage Glacier (further than Girdwood), the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, take the tram up Mt. Alyeska for great views, go to Crow Creek Mine, possibly see mtn. sheep or beluga whales on the way...

North an hour, you are in the Mat-Su valley, where you could see the musk ox farm, reindeer farm, Iditarod headquarters, go up to Hatcher's Pass, visit Independence Mine, go to Matanuska Glacier, views of Mt. McKinley, take a 1/2 day fishing trip, or any number of other activities...

Both directions give awesome scenery and chances for wildlife viewing.

We have 2 full days in Anchorage before meeting our ctruisetour as well. We are thinking about going to Portage Glacier. It's a 7 hour cruise/tour or $76 including transportation...with your own it's $32. The other day we are going to see Anchorage and go to the Weekend market.

I personally think that you can spend the day in Anchorage, just shopping for souviners and relaxing. Here are a few things to see in Anchorage:

- The Anchorage Art Museum

- The Native Cultural Center

- 4th Avenue for shopping & People watching

- The Saturday & Sunday Market

- Fishing at Ship Creek

- Dining at Humpy's (a brewhouse)

- Snow Goose Restaurant & Brewery (Great Patio)

I love Girdwood. I'd say it's worth the drive (about 40 miles from downtown Anchorage) to go to The Double Musky for dinner. It's a really beautiful drive, but it's the same road everywhere. You will end up doing a lot of driving. I think the best advice about visiting Alaska is that You cannot see it all in one trip, or one lifetime. Slow down & Enjoy.

You can also hire a float plane out of Anchorage for some flight seeing, or fishing for a half or whole day. Frankly, I'd fish in the morning, and by the time 2 or 3 rolls around, the thrill of fishing has worn off and I'm ready to go home, take a shower and get ready for dinner.

Your replies are very helpful. We are doing a northbound cruise tour and doing 1 -2 excursions on port days. I am just looking to do something somewhat relaxing. We may decide on Girdwood if the weather permits. Thank you again! :)

Archived