Charlottetown for Two If By Sea

Charlottetown, PEI? Yes, please! We will be in town on Canada Day this year. We have a car reserved (from the only rental agency open that day). We will have our 8-year-old daughter with us.

The only thing we're planning so far is a trip to the Anne of Green Gables house.

Can you recommend other things that might interest an 8-year-old? Anything special happening for Canada Day before 4pm? I realize we will miss the evening festivities.

There are numersous tourist attractions in the Cavendish area near Green Gables, including many "Anne" themed things and amusement parks with water slides and rides. But back in Charlottetown there will be plenty of things going on as part of the Festival of Lights which runs from Jun 28 - July 1. Here's the schedule of events http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/festival-of-lights/schedule-of-events.php

You couldn't have picked a better day to be in Charlottetown, most things happen within a short walking distance of the pier. Going to be a tough choice to pick and choose from all the things available in the short time you are here ;)

Thanks!

I know I want to see the sand castles.

I am really sorry that we will be missing the fireworks. I don't see why the ship couldn't stay just offshore until 11:00 PM....

Looks like most things start at noon. Maybe we can get over to Green Gables first and then back to Charlottetown in the afternoon. About how long is the drive?

She might like an amusement park, though.... If you had to pick one amusement park, what would be the best one? I see there is a midway associated with the Festival. Do you know if that has rides for older children, or just little kids' roundabout rides?

Thanks!

I know I want to see the sand castles.

I am really sorry that we will be missing the fireworks. I don't see why the ship couldn't stay just offshore until 11:00 PM....

Looks like most things start at noon. Maybe we can get over to Green Gables first and then back to Charlottetown in the afternoon. About how long is the drive?

I think you can do it all, well a lot. The drive from Charlottetown to Cavendish is 30 - 40 minutes (if you don't get lost). If you can pick your car up as soon as you get off the ship and head to Green Gables, it open's at 9:00. You should be able to see everything there in an hour as the amusement parks don't open til 10:00 anyway.

She might like an amusement park, though.... If you had to pick one amusement park, what would be the best one? I see there is a midway associated with the Festival. Do you know if that has rides for older children, or just little kids' roundabout rides?

I can't really recommend on the amusement parks, there are basically two close to Green Gables, Sandspit and Shining Waters Family Fun Park. Shining Waters is the newer one which I haven't been to (I don't have kids) I have been to Sandspit with my nieces and nephews before Shining Waters opened and they seemed to have a good time there.

So if you got to one of them by 10:00 you could spend a couple hours there, head back to Charlottetown and be back there by 1:00 or 2:00 and still have a couple hours to see what's happening there.

I haven't been to the Midway at the Festival of Lights but I would think they would have a variety to suit all ages. You could have a peek before you head to Cavendish and see if it would be worth coming back to Charlottetown a little earlier.

Here's the website for the Cavendish Area

http://www.cavendishbeachresort.com/index.php

Here's the Tourism PEI website

http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3

Too bad you only have 8 hours here, you'll have to come back when you have more time :p

Thanks for the advice -- I was doing some searching online and I kept finding wonderful sounding parks that closed permanently a year or two ago.

Yes, of course we need to spend a week or more in PEI. That will be another vacation, another time.

Thanks for the advice -- I was doing some searching online and I kept finding wonderful sounding parks that closed permanently a year or two ago.

Yes, of course we need to spend a week or more in PEI. That will be another vacation, another time.

You are probably talking about Rainbow Valley, it was THE amusement park in Cavendish for years and the owners just couldn't afford the insurance anymore so closed up, sold the land to Parks Canada and the equipment to other's in the area. The Shining Waters Fun Park came in to being as sort of a replacement.

You are probably talking about Rainbow Valley

Yes, that was the one -- also there was an outdoor Science Museum park or something like that. The websites all still exist -- just no park.

Anyhow, it is clear that there is way too much to do, so we'll just have to make some decisions :). I generally prefer to go somewhere for a week or more, but this time -- for the first time -- we're cruising instead.

Ah, that would have been Captain Bart's Science Adventure Park, it had a building shaped lke a space shuttle, don't think you missed out on much there.

Some people cruise to get a taste of places so you can decide if you want to come back for more, me, I cruise not for the ports but for the experience on the ship.

I think you'll get a good taste of the Island if you do Green Gables, Shining Waters Fun Park then head back to Charlottetown to take in a bit of what's going on at the festival.

Thanks! That may indeed become our plan.

I just want to be sure not to miss SandLand. But that appears to be right near the pier and even if I just dash in for 15 minutes I'll be happy.

My other thought for PEI had been to make it a beach day (of course then we would skip Shining Waters), given the claim that the waters are the warmest north of (pick your favorite Eastern Seabord State). But maybe that is more true in August than on July 1? Is there likely to be a swimmable beach available near Cavendish? If so, can you recommend one that has:

-- Clean, wide sand

-- Warm, tranquil, shallow water

-- Facilities

Thanks!

Thanks! That may indeed become our plan.

I just want to be sure not to miss SandLand. But that appears to be right near the pier and even if I just dash in for 15 minutes I'll be happy.

My other thought for PEI had been to make it a beach day (of course then we would skip Shining Waters), given the claim that the waters are the warmest north of (pick your favorite Eastern Seabord State). But maybe that is more true in August than on July 1? Is there likely to be a swimmable beach available near Cavendish? If so, can you recommend one that has:

-- Clean, wide sand

-- Warm, tranquil, shallow water

-- Facilities

Thanks!

A quick drive from Green Gables will take you to Cavendish National Park. This park runs for miles along the north shore of the Island and has beautiful red cliffs and white sandy beaches and dunes. It's probably the number one tourist area and on a nice day is a very busy spot. There is an entrance fee of around $20 for a family to get into the park. Some days the water can be down right frigid and only the hearty can make the full dunk. Our Julys have been pretty chilly the last few years so I can't say with any certainty how nice it will be or if the water will be warm enough for a comfortable swim. There can also be alot of jelly fish in the water, which while mostly harmless tend to freak some people out.

There is a very good surf guard and one should stick to the marked, guarded areas for swimming, these are generally calm and safe and depending on tides you can get some nice shallow tide pools. There can be some pretty strong currents and undertows and usually one or two people lose their life every year by not paying attention to the warnings. There are plenty of warning signs and conditions are posted daily.

Now my favourite beach is Cabot Provincial Park. It's about another half hour or so further west on the north shore. It has a wide sandy beach and usually not quite as crowded as Cavendish. It also has surf guards but is much calmer, safer and warmer for the most part. But be warned you're not going to find the bathwater warmth of Carribbean waters anywhere here I'm afraid.

As expected, my daughter would like to go to an amusement park. We'll just have to decide between Shining Waters and Sandspit. I think Shining Waters looks a little nicer, but we shall see. At Sandspit they do have Go-Karts, which she would probably enjoy.

We'll also take a look at the midway before leaving the port area to see what they've got going there and if there's anything we need to save time for on the return.

I'll ask around at work and see if anyone has been to both and get their opinion. My nieces and nephews don't arrive til July 12 so won't be getting there at least til then.

Mona.. we have some friends sailing on a cruise the first week of October into Charlottetown. We are going to go over to PEI to meet them at the ship and do something with them. Our experience in the past is that everything closes up after the Labor Day Weekend. Can you recommend anything to do with them? Are there any lobster supper places open for lunch? and are they still open at that time of the year? If not can you recommend a place to get a good lobster mean at lunchtime?

Thanks

Yes, most tourist attactions will be closed by that time of the year but there will be plenty to see and do within walking distance of the pier in Charlottetown. Check out this site for info on what's available http://www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/

The lobster suppers will likely be finished for the season but there is one restaurant practically on the pier at which you can get a lobster lunch or dinner, I"m pretty sure it will still be open the second week of October http://www.lobsteronthewharf.com/restaurant.asp

There's another just up the street but you might want to check with them as to whether they will still be serving lobster at that time.

http://www.waterprincelobster.ca/

If you're going to have your vehicle, you could always take them for a scenic drive up to the Cavendish area, leaves might be changing by then and it's a pretty drive any time of year.

Thanks Mona. We will have a vehicle. We are coming from Nova Scotia to meet them. I think we will take them for a drive up to Cavendish and maybe to the lighthouse at Tignish area and then back to the Island Preserve Company for lunch if they are still open and then we will go back to Charlottetown and explore by foot. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Mona. We will have a vehicle. We are coming from Nova Scotia to meet them. I think we will take them for a drive up to Cavendish and maybe to the lighthouse at Tignish area and then back to the Island Preserve Company for lunch if they are still open and then we will go back to Charlottetown and explore by foot. Thanks for your help.

I assume you're speaking about visiting North Cape, which is beyond Tignish. I don't know if you realize it, but from Charlottetown it's about a 2.5 hour drive just to get there. So if you really want to visit North Cape (it really is worth a visit), I wouldn't plan on doing much else. At least I would plan on a late lunch at the Island Preserve Company. There is a restaurant at North Cape, not as nice as Island Preserve Company but not bad and I can't find out right now but I think they will still be open then.

Hi I just found this thread. I will be visiting PEI with husband and another couple on a mid October cruise. We will be in port October 12. I've reserved a rental car for the half day we will be on the island hoping there will still be some color to see. Just wondering what our chances are. I'm somewhat surprised that with large cruise ships still visiting in October that most attractions end before then, but I guess that even with several thousand people arriving on a weekend it doesn't make sense to keep things open all week. Any suggestions on which way to head out of town to see things. Husband and I have been to PEI before but that was 14 years ago and I sure things have changed since then. That was even before the bridge was built.

My only time on PEI was also before the bridge was built. We were there in the middle of the summer. I remember that the last time we saw another car on the road was at the 15-minute traffic jam getting past the stop sign just off the ferry.

It was like magic: we went one way, everyone else disappeared into the sunshine, and from then on we were the only visitors on the island, or so it seemed. Maybe not quite, but it sure wasn't crowded.

Hi I just found this thread. I will be visiting PEI with husband and another couple on a mid October cruise. We will be in port October 12. I've reserved a rental car for the half day we will be on the island hoping there will still be some color to see. Just wondering what our chances are. I'm somewhat surprised that with large cruise ships still visiting in October that most attractions end before then, but I guess that even with several thousand people arriving on a weekend it doesn't make sense to keep things open all week. Any suggestions on which way to head out of town to see things. Husband and I have been to PEI before but that was 14 years ago and I sure things have changed since then. That was even before the bridge was built.

Chances are pretty good that you'll still get to see plenty of fall colours in Mid October. However, the way the climate is changing these days, there are no 100% guarantees of anything anymore.

It's true, it's just not economically feasible for tourist attractions to stay open into October for a few reasons. First, the seasonal businesses are generally staffed by students who are long back to school by that time, second, the weather can be pretty cool, hence making beaches, amusement parks and other warm weather activities less enjoyable and finally, yes, the numbers of visitors drop dramatically to a few bus tours and a couple cruise ships which for the most part are populated by those a little less interested in the usual tourist attractions.

The biggest attraction of the Island is it's the natural beauty and that's available all year round. Having said that, there will be plenty to do and see right in the port city of Charlottetown. It's our capital city with lot's of historical sites that are open year round. If it's shopping you're worried about, there's plenty of that and there will be lot's of souvenier shops open.

There are walking and cycling trails in the city and around the island and fall is a great time to take advantage of them, no mosquitoes to harass you! And If you know anyhting about the sport of geochacing, it is growing by leaps and bounds here on PEI with over 500 caches on the Island which will take you to some hidden gems all over PEI.

There are three scenic coastal drives that are set up, you can find info here http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3?number=1009847&lang=E I would suggest doing the Blue Heron Coastal drive, making sure to make your way through the centre via New Glasgow which, IMHO, is one of the prettier spots on the Island.

My only time on PEI was also before the bridge was built. We were there in the middle of the summer. I remember that the last time we saw another car on the road was at the 15-minute traffic jam getting past the stop sign just off the ferry.

It was like magic: we went one way, everyone else disappeared into the sunshine, and from then on we were the only visitors on the island, or so it seemed. Maybe not quite, but it sure wasn't crowded.

You're going to be here on one of the busier days in Charlottetown so I'm afraid you're not going to have the feeling of being the only visitors this time around :D

Thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear that a lot of the historical places are open year around. That is actually what we are interested in besides scenery. We are not ticky tack tourist attraction type people. So I guess we fit into the cruise crowd........I am very excited about getting to go back to PEI. We loved our first visit there.

As expected, my daughter would like to go to an amusement park. We'll just have to decide between Shining Waters and Sandspit. I think Shining Waters looks a little nicer, but we shall see. At Sandspit they do have Go-Karts, which she would probably enjoy.

We'll also take a look at the midway before leaving the port area to see what they've got going there and if there's anything we need to save time for on the return.

I have two kids and find Sandspit very overpriced for what it is - basically expensive midway rides. I haven't been to Shining Waters but friends have recommended it. We used to visit Rainbow Valley every year and it sounds very similar. My family loves Avonlea Village. It does not have rides but brings the Anne story to life with actors and activities all day long. Unfortunately, it would take the better part of a day -time that you probably don't have. I also recommend Cavendish Beach - beautiful!

Thanks for the recommendations!

My daughter turns out not to be all that interested in the Anne stories, so we may skip Green Gables and Avonlea Village. It is sounding like Shining Waters is where we'll head, along with any time we spend in Charlottetown proper.

If weather isn't cooperating that day (ie raining!), Ripley's Believe It or Not in Cavendish is worthwhile. The Wax Museum of the Stars is not. I have travelled throughout Canada, US and some in Europe and still love PEI the best. I NEED to go every summer. You'll understand once you've been there! Have lobster if you can fit it in.

Thanks. We do get good lobster in Boston. Also we are planning on a lobster lunch in Bar Harbor. Is PEI lobster very different?

Thanks for the Ripley's recommendation. If it is raining we may do that, although we may go to the beach briefly -- I like the beach in the rain (unless it is pouring) and there probably won't be as many people :).

Do you have any indoor suggestions for Charlottetown, with children?

Archived