What to do in Costa Maya?Something to please us all?

Rylisal

We are at Costa Maya during our DCL cruise in October(25th) & really need some advice on what to do/where to go!

We're a family of mixed ages so I'm thinking some sort of 'Beach Break' but I'm getting confused!

Our party's made up of:

Me..Happy to just chill on the beach & maybe get a massage!

DH..loves to swim but would dearly love to Dive too as he's a qualified diver!

DS 14..Probably prefer somewhere a little lively with snorkelling/kayaking!

DS 3...Loves to play in water & build sandcastles!

Granny & Grandad...Happy to chill anywhere but with some shade for granny!

Anyone got any ideas ?I'm just going round in circles trying to decide!:confused:

Do we have to pre book something for Costa Maya or is it possible to just choose what to do when we arrive?

Costa Maya was destroyed during the hurricane and is being rebuilt, scheduled for July or August 2008 opening.

There will be a shopping area, pool and beach at the end of the pier.

You can take a taxi into the village of Majuhaua where there will be beach, bar and restaurants.

We are at Costa Maya during our DCL cruise in October(25th) & really need some advice on what to do/where to go!

We're a family of mixed ages so I'm thinking some sort of 'Beach Break' but I'm getting confused!

Our party's made up of:

Me..Happy to just chill on the beach & maybe get a massage!

DH..loves to swim but would dearly love to Dive too as he's a qualified diver!

DS 14..Probably prefer somewhere a little lively with snorkelling/kayaking!

DS 3...Loves to play in water & build sandcastles!

Granny & Grandad...Happy to chill anywhere but with some shade for granny!

Anyone got any ideas ?I'm just going round in circles trying to decide!:confused:

Do we have to pre book something for Costa Maya or is it possible to just choose what to do when we arrive?

Wish we were going to Costa Maya this winter to see how the rebuilding is going. If it is rebuilt similar to what it was pre-hurricane then I would suggest your DH sign up for a half day excursion and the rest of the family head to Mayahual Village (short bus ride from pier) where there is a sandy beach, massages, shade, etc. Lots and lots of tour operators at the pier and prices were negotiable; my DH paid $30.00 for a horse-riding excursion. Photos from our trip a few years ago in the link below. Please note these photos were pre-hurricane.

Take lots of sunscreen and water!

Kathy

Take a taxi to Mahuhaul......facing the beach from the cruise ship it is to the left......not a long ride at all and very inexpensive. The water is among the best I have ever seen if not the best. It is a tiny Mexican fishermans village with lots of local crafts to buy. For my son and I to rent jet skis we got them down to 80.00 for 2 jet skis for one hour. Massages are cheap and the beach is beautiful. The port area is what it is.....a huge pool with swim up bar and lots of shops and the beach there is too rocky to enjoy. Hope this helps you out. Also at the beach hut we were at in Mahuhaul they had swings for seats at the bar and it was only 25-30 feet from the water....food was good and beers (coronas) were 2 dollars each and shots of tequila were a dollar. My kids at the time were 6,11, and 16 and they loved it there.

You can take a taxi into the village of Majuhaua where there will be beach, bar and restaurants.

How do you know this? Are there any websites showing what progress has been made in the rebuilding of the fishing village?

Thanks for the pics..so pleased it's coming along so well & ahead of schedule i hear!

Thats what we'll do then, grab a taxi to The village.

Thanks for all your info!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there in April 2006. It was my favorite port on our Western Caribbean cruise.

We did one of the ships excursions - We rented 4 x4 Jeeps and went into the jungle. Then ended up on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Then we were treated to an amazing luncheon spread that was delicious and our guide cracked fresh coconuts for everyone. I would go back to Costa Maya in a heartbeat.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the info on Costa Maya. We are cruising in December and it is one of the ports on our itinerary. I wondered how they faired after being demolished by the hurricane last fall. We were supposed to stop there last Dec., but got re-routed.

BTW, we sailed the Jewel of the Seas last December -- you will LOVE your cruise!!! Beautiful ship!!!! Everything about it is perfect!! Have a great time!

Kathy

Archived