Dubrovnik

Can anyone recommend a tour company that may do a half day tour to surrounding areas near Dubrovnik? We would like to discover Dubrovnik on our own, but would also like to drive around the countryside. DH does not want to rent a car.

Or, are there any nice restaurants outside of the walled city that offer a pick-up service? I also noticed the restaurants seem to open for lunch at 12:00pm.

Any suggestions?

Just returned from my land vacation which included 6 nights in Dubrovnik

If you go to my website...look under Our 2008 Adventure

You will see a link on the right for Private Driver Option. We loved them and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM,

excellent communication prior to arrival, the service was excellent for our pu at the airport, drive to Mostar and Montenegro and drop off for our ferry

Scroll down and you can see a video on Dubrovnik..

Back on the main page you will see a link for Croatia that will take you to our photo albums if you interested.

If you click on the bonus albums...you'll see one that says

Hungry? I mention some cheap eat options..

Other Restaurant Recommendations

There is a restaurant right outside the wall on the left with a nice view

Another restaurant called Cafe Buza in old town that is on the side of the

walls with fabulous views

There's a "restaurant row" that runs parallel to the Stradun but no views

link to our website:

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

We had a fantastic day with a taxi driver who was at the port. We started off planning to catch the taxi just down to the walled city for $10 (much cheaper for our family than the ship's shuttle), then extended it to a 45 minute tour for $50 total (we were a family of 4 with 2 teens) and had such a great time we stayed with him for nearly 5 hours. We saw so much more than all of the ship tours combined at a fraction of the price. We even went to the border of Bosnia and Montenegro. Make sure you go to Chavtat - it is beautiful.I think it totalled $120 but we gave him $200. The driver's name was Rade Ppedojevic and his phone number is 098 847152. He does not have email.Rade was great fun, had an excellent rapport with my teens, spoke very good English, was very knowledgeable and proud of his city, and had a very comfortable, new, air-conditioned mercedes. It was one of our favourite days. We had him drop us off at The Walled city at the end. There are plenty of restaurants there. It is a beautiful region and we took hundreds of fabulous photos. I am not on this board often so feel fee to email me at

jennie1@exemail.com.au for any other questions. I can then email you Rade's photo so you will recognise him. LOL! I received so many helpful hints from CC that I am happy to share and "give back"

The borders CROSSINGS of Bosnia-Herzegovina and Montenegro are in opposite directions.

Though there is a border there.

If you are to cross any borders you will need your passport in your possession. though you should have it on your body at all times.

To Mostar is 3 hours, To Kotor Montenegro about 2.

This was off season, could be longer.. each border crossing into and out of either country was about 25 minutes.

I too am thinking that we want something more organized than roaming the streets of Dubrovnik. Thank you for the links. There will be four adults. The taxis you mention are there only sedan taxis there or would we find minivan type vehicles so that we dont feel too squashed in if we take a tour for the day?

Thanks,

N

We may go it alone anyway. If the town is small and at the end of our trip, we may just want to do our own thing. Perhaps even find a hotel that has a nice restaurant/pool or beach.

Thanks again,

N

We had a fantastic day with a taxi driver who was at the port. We started off planning to catch the taxi just down to the walled city for $10 (much cheaper for our family than the ship's shuttle), then extended it to a 45 minute tour for $50 total (we were a family of 4 with 2 teens) and had such a great time we stayed with him for nearly 5 hours. We saw so much more than all of the ship tours combined at a fraction of the price. We even went to the border of Bosnia and Montenegro. Make sure you go to Chavtat - it is beautiful.I think it totalled $120 but we gave him $200. The driver's name was Rade Ppedojevic and his phone number is 098 847152. He does not have email.Rade was great fun, had an excellent rapport with my teens, spoke very good English, was very knowledgeable and proud of his city, and had a very comfortable, new, air-conditioned mercedes. It was one of our favourite days. We had him drop us off at The Walled city at the end. There are plenty of restaurants there. It is a beautiful region and we took hundreds of fabulous photos. I am not on this board often so feel fee to email me at

jennie1@exemail.com.au for any other questions. I can then email you Rade's photo so you will recognise him. LOL! I received so many helpful hints from CC that I am happy to share and "give back"

How did you have time in one day to get to both the borders of Bosnia and Montenegro and also time in the walled city of Dubrovnik at the end? I guess the borders aren't that far, just the time to cross? Where did you go for 5 hours?

Nora...

there's only 2 hotels per se that are inside the walls and they are historical little boutiques that are VERY expensive the rest are sobe's (private residences that rent rooms) no pool in any of them

outside of the walls is the Hilton...very exclusive not sure about the pool and if you can acces it.

The rest of the hotels will be farther out on the way to Lapad Bay.

It's not really a hotel with a pool/beach type of place.

There's plenty to see in Dubrovnik, the history there is extensive...

FOR EVERYONE

Here's a few questions for you...feel free anyone to report back the answers...

this will begin your learning about Dubrovnik course...

and I will give you a hint you can google the answers or many are on our website...:D

What does a la cravate mean...?

what/who or where is cravate ?

When the United States of America was 1st founded

the Republic of Ragusa was one of the 1st to recognize it

as a new country....

Where is the Republic of Ragusa located?

What is the connection between Croatia and the

grape we know as Red Zinfandel?

Do you know the smoking laws for Croatia?

What language is learned as the 2nd language for Croatian children.

What does Hvala mean?

Have fun!

Nora...

there's only 2 hotels per se that are inside the walls and they are historical little boutiques that are VERY expensive the rest are sobe's (private residences that rent rooms) no pool in any of them

outside of the walls is the Hilton...very exclusive not sure about the pool and if you can acces it.

The rest of the hotels will be farther out on the way to Lapad Bay.

It's not really a hotel with a pool/beach type of place.

There's plenty to see in Dubrovnik, the history there is extensive...

FOR EVERYONE

Here's a few questions for you...feel free anyone to report back the answers...

this will begin your learning about Dubrovnik course...

and I will give you a hint you can google the answers or many are on our website...:D

What does a la cravate mean...?

what/who or where is cravate ?

When the United States of America was 1st founded

the Republic of Ragusa was one of the 1st to recognize it

as a new country....

Where is the Republic of Ragusa located?

What is the connection between Croatia and the

grape we know as Red Zinfandel?

Do you know the smoking laws for Croatia?

What language is learned as the 2nd language for Croatian children.

What does Hvala mean?

Have fun!

Have you been to Ston? Is it a good half day trip? Is there anywhere to buy antique prints in Dubrovnik?

Regarding your questions, I believe smoking in public places and restaurants is being banned this year. Isn't Ragusa Dubrovnik?

Hvala = Thank you (Ok, I looked that one up)

Hi Jade!

You are correct!

Hvala is Thank you

The Republic of Ragusa is now known as Dubrovnik

2009 is when the smoking ban begins..

We did not go to Ston, though I think it would be about a 5-6 hour day Our driver asked us if we wanted to go,

when we were returning from Mostar,

but we decided to pass...It had already been a 13 hour day

and Mostar created such a mix of emotions and adventure that

at that point we were just drained!

What Ston is famous for is their wall.

If you have done Dubrovnik, it might be a nice option.

has anyone figured out the other questions???

a la cravate and cravate ones are important to know

if you want to do some authentic shopping.

We were just in Dubrovnik and after we walked the wall we took the ferry to Lokrum http://www.dubrovnik-guide.net/lokrum.htm The ferry cost 6E RT and it is just a short ride. There are nice hiking trails an old monestary and a fort. We were late getting into town because of the ship having problems clearing immergration so we had only two hours to spend on Lokrum. We did not make it to the fort which is about a half hour hike. The island is rocky and it's "beaches" are flat rock with ladders to get into the water. The water is beautiful. There is a snack bar near the boat dock and a resturant at the monastary. You get the ferry in the harbor of old town at the oppisite end of the Pile Gate. We would have loved to go for a swim but being the middle of May it was still a little too cool.

Hi Jade!

You are correct!

Hvala is Thank you

The Republic of Ragusa is now known as Dubrovnik

2009 is when the smoking ban begins..

We did not go to Ston, though I think it would be about a 5-6 hour day Our driver asked us if we wanted to go,

when we were returning from Mostar,

but we decided to pass...It had already been a 13 hour day

and Mostar created such a mix of emotions and adventure that

at that point we were just drained!

What Ston is famous for is their wall.

If you have done Dubrovnik, it might be a nice option.

has anyone figured out the other questions???

a la cravate and cravate ones are important to know

if you want to do some authentic shopping.

Necktie

Originates from Croatia.

You are correct..

This is an intersting article, scroll down to the last 2 paragraphs.

Those from California or familiar with Napa wineries will recognize the Grgich name!

There is a wine store on the Stradun in Dubrovnik...you can purchase a small bottle to taste their wine for an equivalent to 7 Euros, just perfect for picnic. You can see a picture of the wines in my bonus photo album.

Along with cheap eats options in town.

http://www.crozinfandel.com/

Knowing details like this will only enhance your visit

We are deciding whether to spend the entire day in Dubrovnik, or to spend a half day outside in Croatia.

The offer we have is a pick-up at the ship at 8:30am and drop-off in the old city of Dubrovnik at 12:30pm. The choices so far are Ston (50 minutes drive each way and 2 hours there), or Cavtat and then a drive through the Konvale valley. I am undecided because some say to get to Dubrovnik early to beat the crowds and heat. Our ship departs at 6:00pm.

My DH and I really believe you should get into the old town early.

It will be a totally different experience if you arrive later.

Also, we allowed 2 full days to fully immerse ourselves in all that Old Town has to offer in terms of Museums, architecture, views, history.

There's a lot to see there!

You will also be there with A LOT of people since you are traveling in high season, so that will slow you down.

The valley is pretty, it's a wonderful fertile valley, and the drive IS nice but I wouldn't trade it for time in old town, but that's just my 2 cents.

My DH and I really believe you should get into the old town early.

It will be a totally different experience if you arrive later.

Also, we allowed 2 full days to fully immerse ourselves in all that Old Town has to offer in terms of Museums, architecture, views, history.

There's a lot to see there!

You will also be there with A LOT of people since you are traveling in high season, so that will slow you down.

The valley is pretty, it's a wonderful fertile valley, and the drive IS nice but I wouldn't trade it for time in old town, but that's just my 2 cents.

Did you get to Ston?

Regarding Dubrovnik, I read it takes 90 minutes to walk around the wall. Does that sound right?

What do you recommend to see besides the Synagogue, Cathedral and Monastery? What were the entrance fees when you were there?

Here's our checklist and added to along the way...

These times were based on our off season travel dates

you will want to confirm them .

Climbing the wall is 50 kuna, I just checked our notes

Everything that charged entrance was between 10-25 kuna for entrance

45 kuna at the time was equal to 10USD,

my anwer about Ston is in a post above.

DBV isn't about a quick walk of the walls, then up and down the stradun and move on, there is much to it.

And the walls took 2 hours in off season. You will be in height of high season,

with your cruise ship in, probably another and people who are there on a land vacation.

Pile Gate

Stradun

Pustijerna district behind Cathedral

Area inspired by the Spanish Steps

Synagogue

Cathedral 8-7 daily (includes treasury)

Orthodox Church and ICON Museum 9-2 closed Sun

Church of St. Blaise 8-8 daily

Clock Tower

St. John’s Fort 9-6 M-Sat, closed Sun

Maritime Museum 9-2 Tues-Sun, closed Mon

Onofrio’s large fountain

Church of St. Saviour 9-4 daily

Minceta Fort 9:30-6:30 daily PART OF WALL

Ploce Gate

Revelin Fort

Sponza Palace (Museum of Dubrovnik defenders) 8-2 daily

Rector’s Palace 9-6 daily (Museum of Dubrovnik)

Dominican Monastery 9-6 daily

Bokar Fort

Fort St. Lawrence ZIP LINE from Amazing Race, spectacular views

Jesuit Church of St. Ignatius 8-7pm daily

Ethnographic Museum 9-6 daily

Franciscan Monastery 9-6 daily (includes pharmacy & museum)

Here's our checklist and added to along the way...

These times were based on our off season travel dates

you will want to confirm them .

Climbing the wall is 50 kuna, I just checked our notes

Everything that charged entrance was between 10-25 kuna for entrance

45 kuna at the time was equal to 10USD,

my anwer about Ston is in a post above.

DBV isn't about a quick walk of the walls, then up and down the stradun and move on, there is much to it.

And the walls took 2 hours in off season. You will be in height of high season,

with your cruise ship in, probably another and people who are there on a land vacation.

Pile Gate

Stradun

Pustijerna district behind Cathedral

Area inspired by the Spanish Steps

Synagogue

Cathedral 8-7 daily (includes treasury)

Orthodox Church and ICON Museum 9-2 closed Sun

Church of St. Blaise 8-8 daily

Clock Tower

St. John’s Fort 9-6 M-Sat, closed Sun

Maritime Museum 9-2 Tues-Sun, closed Mon

Onofrio’s large fountain

Church of St. Saviour 9-4 daily

Minceta Fort 9:30-6:30 daily PART OF WALL

Ploce Gate

Revelin Fort

Sponza Palace (Museum of Dubrovnik defenders) 8-2 daily

Rector’s Palace 9-6 daily (Museum of Dubrovnik)

Dominican Monastery 9-6 daily

Bokar Fort

Fort St. Lawrence ZIP LINE from Amazing Race, spectacular views

Jesuit Church of St. Ignatius 8-7pm daily

Ethnographic Museum 9-6 daily

Franciscan Monastery 9-6 daily (includes pharmacy & museum)

Thank you for the great details! Is this in the order from when you enter the gates?

Jade13, When we were there two weeks ago it was 10E per cab. Just look for another couple and ask them if they want to share a cab to town. We did that both ways so it only cost us 5E a ride. It was much more convient than the shuttle bus which was 10PP RT.

Jade13, When we were there two weeks ago it was 10E per cab. Just look for another couple and ask them if they want to share a cab to town. We did that both ways so it only cost us 5E a ride. It was much more convient than the shuttle bus which was 10PP RT.

Thanks!

The list is not in order, as it was based on what days places were opened during off season and the fact we were on a land vacation with several full days to pace and yet immerse ourselves.

You can use our list as a reference to find out during your

research if each place interests you.

You will want to pick up a map or view the DK or Rick Steves books to plot your course.

There are 2 seperate gates that cruisers can enter through.

It depends if you are in the New Harbor or if you are tendering into Old Town.

Archived