Solstice Dec 14 2008 non inaugural pricing?

like2cruz

As a stockholder in RCL I totally understand why they changed the date.

The ship will be ready, it can earn revenue and why not get an extra three weeks of revenue?

Makes great sense to me.

Kudos to RCL for expediting the building of the ship and getting it out earlier than expected.

Spencer

The ship will be ready, it can earn revenue and why not get an extra three weeks of revenue?

Makes great sense to me.

Kudos to RCL for expediting the building of the ship and getting it out earlier than expected.

Spencer

Spencer,

I agree with you 100%. Although disappointed, I understand the reason for the change and have no real gripe with the decision. What I'm upset about is how they treated those of us who had booked this cruise when it first came available and do not have the flexibility to change plans. Had they offered us the same pricing for 12/14 as was initially offered to the general public for 11/30 and 12/7, I'd be thrilled. Had they offered us a two or more level upgrade, I'd be accepting and happy. Had they offered us a token $100.00 pp obc, I'd grin and bear it. But instead, they have offered us nothing and insulted us by saying they haven't changed the terms of the cruise. So yes, the business decision to sail earlier makes perfect sense and is the corporate responsible thing to do. Making your best customers unhappy (when it would have been so easy to appease us) makes no sense at all.

The cruise was not cancelled, I don't see what the issue is other than the loss of bragging rights. I really don't see why those whose priority it is to want to be first are not switching. They are giving money to do so and there is still plenty of time...:confused:

The cruise was not cancelled, I don't see what the issue is other than the loss of bragging rights. I really don't see why those whose priority it is to want to be first are not switching. They are giving money to do so and there is still plenty of time...:confused:

My schedule does not permit me to change to the new inauguaral, or to the two previous sailings. So, its no longer a question of missing out on the "bragging rights". Its a question of having paid a premium price for what was to be the inaugural. Now that its just another cruise X has not adjusted the prices, eventhough the two previous sailings were sold, to the general public, at reduced rates. So I'm still paying a premium price for an ordinary sailing. Yes we could cancel, but shouldn't X be a little more responsive to its customers than limiting us to that option?

Makes great sense to me.

Spencer

For me (and mine) the issue isn't that the ship was ready early.

1. =X= did the right thing to offer the new inaugural to folks already booked. Good news. But, what if you couldn't change? What was the accomodation to your Captain's Club members who booked so far in advance?

2. They offered $100 credit towards airfare change. Have you priced changing flights to a holiday period? Not so good news. Imagine if you booked your airfare using miles almost 1 year in advance - changing at this date is not an option. It is impossible. For those traveling on miles - really bad news. More fees.

3. They added 2 additional sailings at normal off season pricing; and they opened them up to the general public first. By the time I got the call from =X= that the sailing date had changed; I looked and already the best cabins as well as inside and outside were sold out. Really bad news adding insult to injury. We booked to have a nifty aft balcony - all gone on the new sailings. Totally crappy news and hardly values customers who are the best demographic to your business - those willing and able to pay a premium. Don't forget those rebooking get to "enjoy" a fuel supplement charge - something that didn't exist when we booked. More crappy news.

4. =X= surely must have known that a fair number of the passengers would not be able to switch (because of their work, lives, etc.) and because the new date was now a holiday (Thanksgiving). In our case, we already had set plans for Turkey day AND our work (on-call schedules, events, board meetings, etc.) and college-aged kids meant earlier travel was impossible.

5. The prices we booked for the hoopla for an inaugural cruise are more expensive. But now that it isn't inaugural - it still has inaugural prices. Hoopla pricing with no benefit. Other lines with new ships (HAL) are priced appropriately for mid-December, non holiday, offseason and non-inaugural. In my case for 2 cabins, the difference was $1,700 to move to the new HAL ship. I'm not a particular fan of HAL, but at that price - suddenly, I am a fan.

6. As a result of some or all of the above - many who were on the cruise have gone to a competitor that allows them to use same flights, or they are opting for a land based vacation closer to home and will use the airline credit (minus penalties) at a later date since much has happened to the economy since we originally booked. Most are completely annoyed with =X= - some are holding onto their cabins and will cancel on the last day as a protest.

Less than 25% of our roll call remains. =X= is going to have to lower prices at some point to fill this sailing. As more cancel - they will need to lower even more. As a stockholder, you might want them to value their loyal customers - they could have reduced the price somewhat (or offered some benefit) and kept the already booked customers. Instead, they were poopy - refused to address the issue and maintained the inflated price which sent most everyone looking at other options - giving us significant time to do so. When the final payment date arrives and more cancel - they will scramble and the prices will go on special to attract new bookings during this off season week. This will be a net loss to =X=.

So . . . the cruise we are booked on is completely overpriced. Even if our schedule allowed us to change to an earlier week - the airfare change is significant, desirable flights not available and the poor cabin selection further makes changing undesirable.

Finally, changing an inaugural is always going to be a disappointment for some. But how you handle it can define it you can make it a success or a dismal failure. =X= handled this very poorly - their delays in responding means it is costing them business. Not just losing business on this cruise - some are stuck staying but moving forward will not longer do business with RCCL. In this economy? Wow - the handling of this was just plain stupid. Very poor business decisions and the stockholders will pay the price.

I would have developed a plan to retain my Captain's Club members and not drive them away.

I got an email response too. Here's the important line "At this time Celebrity is not offering any compensation in this matter."

Keep an eye on the pricing - it will go down. And the ship will sail with fewer passengers and with cabins at lower prices than it could have. While we haven't decided which option we are taking - the option of staying on this cruise is last on our list.

Hope this helps explain why folks like me see the problem not as a result of changing the date . . . but what they did as a result is the real problem. And I hope this addresses the comment of "still plenty of time". There are NO options for using miles during the Thanksgiving week - that went to those who planned almost a year in advance. For those of us who thought we had done just that . . . well we are SOL.

Cruzmaven and Coreopsis ~ you both sum this up perfectly. It's not the fact that the sailing date was changed as much as it is the way in which the situation was handled. We experienced the same type of situation when Celebrity chartered Solstice out from under us with our March 2009 Cruise Critic group cruise.

I don't understand why there is so little consideration for loyal customers. It wouldn't take much to show they care a little.

I'm truly sorry we won't get to meet in December. Hopefully we can on a future cruise!

Coreopsis:

For your sake I hope that =X= reduces the prices for your cruise as soon as they open up the (new) inaugural cruise to the public on June 12, so you can get at least some reimbursement for all your troubles.

We booked Solstice after the announcement of the change expecting the rates to go down since it is no longer the inaugural cruise. I was on the phone about a reservation problem and asked why they were waiting so long to drop the price. She told me it was not originally priced or advertised as an inaugural sailing, that it was such a wonderful ship it would sell out at those prices. I asked her why the 2 previous weeks were so much lower, no answer but she offered to book me on one of them.

It stuns me how something so clear to all of us seems beyond their comprehension.

She told me it was not originally priced or advertised as an inaugural sailing

I really hope this comment was just the rep being stupid or uninformed and not the company line.

When I tried to discuss this issue with a rep I was told prices were high the week of 12/14 because it was a holiday sailing. She couldn't tell me what holiday though.

Poor customer service reps just a refection of Celebrity's poor customer service.

Just to confirm that after speaking to Customer Resolutions team leader they say it was sold as just another cruise and it is the company line and that for a refund of deposit I had to prove to Celebrity that they had sold it to us as an Inaugural Cruise. As for 100$ help with airfair change when we priced change it was well over double that amount not that we could change.

As an a side we have also booked an Alaskan Cruise for 8th May which would probably have been with Celebrity but is now with HAL

Ex cruisers on 12th Dec sailing

Lynn & David

Host Anne, truly one of the disappointments we have will not be having the chance to meet you (yet!) Thank you for all you do for the Cruise Critic community and for your kind words. I've learned so much from these Boards and have made many new friends as well.

I agree with your comment -

"so little consideration for loyal customers"

When I called and emailed, I was very professional and the customer service rep acknowledged the problems - however she didn't have any authority to fix and when I asked for her supervisor, she said she was it.

Here's how my email was signed:

"We still look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises,"

Well I am sure you do look forward to welcoming me onboard - but why on earth would I still sail with you now that:

a) we've been mistreated - actually several times during this process;

b) we bring it to your attention to try to correct the error and we are dismissed with no offer of assistance or apology whatsoever;

c) you are engaging in price gouging and while your customer service rep indicated the pricing will probably come down at some point and I should just keep checking - you've given me time to check other vacation options and investigate those who may appreciate our loyalty.

We may have chosen Celebrity Cruises originally, but they gave me at least three reasons to go elsewhere with my dollars and loyalty. In this economy - who wants to push loyal customers away?

Signed, sad puppy

Sad Puppy ~ thanks for the kind words. For us, one of the great things about cruising (I tell people this all the time when they ask why we like to cruise so much) is that we get to meet so many wonderful people from all around the world. There's nothing else we can do that enables us to meet so many people from so many different places all at once (I include the crew when I make this comment). Cruise ships are truly a melting pot of the world.

In my opinion, what the cruise lines are missing is that they are impacting (negatively) what makes cruising so much fun for so many of us. For me, the excitement of sailing on the maiden voyage of Solstice has been greatly diminished. Many of those I'd gotten to know through our original roll call cannot switch to the new date. I feel very bad that many are so disappointed. It makes it difficult to get the same excitement back for the new sailing. I'm still excited (and feel fortunate that we could make the switch) but it isn't the same.

To make matters worse, Celebrity refuses to deal with those who couldn't make the switch with any care or compassion. It's been detailed here quite well. We all know that if inventory for the Dec. 14 takes a serious dive that prices ultimately reflect that and go down. Why not show a little compassion for those who couldn't make the switch and give them so type of break. If we weren't able to make the switch, we would have cancalled altogether. Sailing just before the holidays wouldn't have been choice dates for us to begin with. To make us pay more the Dec. 14 sailing would have been an easy decision for us.

OK....I'll stop. Some may disagree and not understand, but for many of us who were looking forward to this for the past year, Celebrity has put a damper on the Solstice coming out party all the way around.

Just took a quick look at prices on the Ruby Princess for its inaugural and the following weeks. Remember its inaugural was moved up one week from 11/15 to 11/8. Prices for 11/8 are slightly higher ($100.00pp) for some categories than 11/15, most categories are the same for both. Prices for 11/15 are slightly higher for some categories than 11/22 (eventhough 11/22 is a Thanksgiving cruise). Prices for 11/29 (the 4th sailing) are slightly lower than 11/22.

So, on Princess prices decrease after the 1st sailing. On X, prices for the 4th sailing (12/14) are still much higher than sailings 2 and 3.

Prices on Ruby for its 12/13 sailing are less than all previous sailings. So much for that week being a high demand week.

I don't know what the previous prices were so I can't say if there was any adjustment on Ruby to the original inauguaral prices after the change was announced.

As I stated in an earlier post I don't think the Ruby inaugural is as big of a deal as the Solstice inaugural so I understand premium pricing for the Solstice inaugural. I don't understand why we're still being charged premium pricing for week 4.

I am booked on the December 7th cruise. What I see happening is the prices are going up and up from when I first booked. Right now there is only a $240 difference between the SV I booked on Nov 30 and the Dec 14th cruise.

I think X is going to wait until theJune 12th deadline when the New Innaugral date goes on sale to adjust the prices of the Dec 14 cruise. By then, they will see what the true difference in prices between the new cruises and the Dec 14th cruise. And by then, there may not be a whole lot of difference which is unfair to those of you who originally booked on the Dec 14 cruise.

I am still holding two cabins on Solstice - I noticed the roll call is down to 39 - it drops every day.

So, if Solstice pricing comes down on the 12th as everyone predicts - does pricing get updated overnight?

My son graduates from High School Wednesday (!!!!!!), and we've got all sorts of festivities this week so I am afraid I will miss the window. I have subscribed to this thread so I will learn about the pricing drop via email (how sad I won't learn from =X=!) gotta love the crackberry.

So, kind, informed and helpful Cruise Critic community . . . please post on this thread if and when pricing comes down. I need to finalize what we are doing - haven't booked the Eurodam yet - not excited about the cabin locations left, but the price helps with the excitement.

Here's another factoid . . .

As of this morning, here are the number of folks registered for the Cruise Critic parties:

11/23 cruise - 54 (new inaugural)

11/30 cruise - 103

12/7 cruise - 65

12/14 cruise - 39 (original inaugural, I think it was 150+ before the schedule changed - many switched dates and/or lines)

I am still holding two cabins on Solstice - I noticed the roll call is down to 39 - it drops every day.

So, if Solstice pricing comes down on the 12th as everyone predicts - does pricing get updated overnight?

My son graduates from High School Wednesday (!!!!!!), and we've got all sorts of festivities this week so I am afraid I will miss the window. I have subscribed to this thread so I will learn about the pricing drop via email (how sad I won't learn from =X=!) gotta love the crackberry.

So, kind, informed and helpful Cruise Critic community . . . please post on this thread if and when pricing comes down. I need to finalize what we are doing - haven't booked the Eurodam yet - not excited about the cabin locations left, but the price helps with the excitement.[/quote]

I haven't sailed on HAL, so I don't know if they have the same policy as Celebrity, but on every Celebrity cruise that I have been on, several good cabins have been released in the week or two before final payment date, as people make up their minds about when and if they will sail.

When I book, I am more concerned about locking in the price in the category I want (CC) and then I change to a preferred cabin location as better options become available. I have changed cabins as many as 5 times between my deposit and the sail date, and have always had a cabin we were pleased with. I am pretty vigilant about checking, both for location and price drops. ;)

I hope that, whatever ship you sail on, you have the best cruise ever. You deserve it.

How do you 'unregister'? I am still booked on the cruise but I am not sure I want to attend their party.

How do you 'unregister'? I am still booked on the cruise but I am not sure I want to attend their party.

It's not "their party". It's a gathering of cruise critics who wish to meet on board. If you don't want to meet, just don't show up.:cool:

Hi, the "gathering" is from the cruiseline. You don't need

to unregister. You will receive an invitation for the date and time

in your cabin.

No need to do anything else. If you prefer not to attend

that is your choice.

Forensic ~ the cruise line makes a lounge available for Cruise Critic members to meet and get to know one another after spending time chatting on our roll calls. It's really a "Cruise Critic" gathering that is coordinated by on-board crew. Neither any of the Cruise Critic members nor onboard crew had anything to do with decisions made at Celebrity headquarters. It's a really nice opportunity to meet fellow Cruise Critic members you might otherwise not get to see. Hope you decide to attend if you sail on Solstice.

Here's another factoid . . .

As of this morning, here are the number of folks registered for the Cruise Critic parties:

11/23 cruise - 54 (new inaugural)

11/30 cruise - 103

12/7 cruise - 65

12/14 cruise - 39 (original inaugural, I think it was 150+ before the schedule changed - many switched dates and/or lines)

And then there were 29. Wow - that includes my 4 which are doubtful given all the circumstances.

So, everyone has been predicting prices would drop after the 12th . . . any new predictions? When all the reservations have been cancelled???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=792999

OMG. This is a dream right? April Fool's? Closer to a nightmare, actually.

I'm speechless. There are only 29 of us left on the roll call! Pretty soon we can each have a deck to ourselves!!!!

While I am happy for the folks who were able to switch to the 11/23 date - and happy they scored price breaks - I can't even articulate how angry I am.

I think the only other way to mistreat and insult this group would be if they actually raise the prices to "beyond obsence" on the 12/14 non-inaugural, non-holiday sailing. (Sorry, I am giving them ideas.) Surely there must be another surcharge that won't be applied to any other date - just this one! [dripping with sarcasm]

I am stunned. This is painful.

This was supposed to be a happy vacation and we were all happily planning a special trip - without a doubt, =X= has ruined it.

OMG.

Archived