Welcome to Tightwad Cruising - What Do You Do?

16 hours ago, grandmaR said:

That cemented my mom's antipathy to flying.  She said it was like a bus ride without the scenery. 

For many years, this was my Mother's thoughts about flying.  "My legs aren't long enough to touch the ground."  I was able to change her mind.  She had long wanted to visit Hawaii and she enjoyed cruising.  Wanting to thank her for all that she had done for me, I found a  Hawaii cruise RT from Los Angeles, visiting all of the major islands, and returning to San Francisco and Los Angeles.  The "fly in the ointment" was that we would have to fly to Los Angeles and fly home for the trip to fit in my my vacation time period.  After a few discussions over a period of days, she agreed to do it.  Hoping to make the flights the best that they could be since these would be her first two flights, I booked First Class.  A TWA L-1011 to Los Angeles and an United DC-10 back; the flights were all that I hoped they would be.  We flew over the Grand Canyon with almost no clouds below us.  Approaching LAX, as we flew over the desert, there was a thunderstorm below us.  Scenic?  Absolutely!  I have wondered if the plane's cleaners ever got my Mother's nose print off that window!  After that, if we had to fly somewhere for a trip, there was no issue in doing so.  

Sometimes, being a "tightwad" as to how one travels has an impact on the enjoyment of the trip.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

We shop internationally for travel products.  We find that on occasion prices on non North American sites for cruises, AI's, accommodation, and occasionally air can be less expensive for the identical travel product.

Over the years we have booked a cruise through the RCI Sydney call center, booked with Aerolineas by calling their call center in BA, and most recently booking two Mexico AI stays  resorts through a UK travel agent.  We have had the same experience from time to time with accommodation in a number of countries.

We don't book for a small saving but sometimes it has been as much as 30 percent.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We shop internationally for travel products.  We find that on occasion prices on non North American sites for cruises, AI's, accommodation, and occasionally air can be less expensive for the identical travel product.

Over the years we have booked a cruise through the RCI Sydney call center, booked with Aerolineas by calling their call center in BA, and most recently booking two Mexico AI stays  resorts through a UK travel agent.  We have had the same experience from time to time with accommodation in a number of countries.

We don't book for a small saving but sometimes it has been as much as 30 percent.

One thing though...you need to be aware of the T's and C's.   Cancellation poliicies, etc.  Most of our out of country travel are late bookings....completed while we are in the midst of an independent land trip. 

Over the past 15 years we have only had to cancel once with no refund.  And even that was an inexpensive one night Charlotte airport  hotel that we got on a Priceline win.

Edited by iancal

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 7:02 AM, Souljourner said:

What does it mean to mystery shop a flight? 

Look up mystery shopping. (It is legitimate) the only thing is your area might not have an option to do mystery shopping on flights. I mystery shopped for all the large agencies I could find and never was offered this for my area, but I should look into whether I could do flights from Vegas. I did not realize you could mystery shop flights. I have gotten a free eye exam and glasses before. A lot of mystery shops aren't worth it, if it's low dollar stuff. They have a large list of things you need to look for and note. It's very important to read the rules of the shop and what the assessment is that you'll be filling out. I signed up for a mystery shop once that wanted me to go back in after, thank the employees face-to-face and offer a certificate to the best employee that I ran into. It was just a terrible idea, and I withdrew myself from that shop. it wasn't even going to pay well. It can be a fun hobby if you have the time, look into it and see if it's your thing. I stopped once I had my daughter but I even was mystery shopping practically till I gave birth, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Inside cabin! Bid cheap on upgrade, just got balcony on RCL adventure. Get loyalty perks, Diamond on RCL, elite on celebrity, platinum on Ncl and elite on Princess. Okay we cruise a lot of different lines. Always ask questions, recently on RCL adventure the Diamond lounge coffee machine was out of order again, I asked Diamond concierge and she cheerfully said just show Diamond card at Starbucks for free cappuccino! So I’m chugging 4 or 5 a day free. Free laundry means packing less! Beat the bushes for priceless! Complain about service when necessary! Most importantly cruise often as you only get good health for so long!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of risking luggage tags ripping (mostly by me) I looked into the reusable luggage tag holders/protectors like these.
image.thumb.png.65d52e13f63506920af6b4d4cc1b681a.png
They're only ~$6-10 for 4, but why bother when there's a cheapskate alternative? (Especially if you're not a regular cruiser.)

When folded correctly, the Princess luggage tags say, "This luggage tag has been successfully tested for durability." but by stretching and sticking some packing tape over them, I've got improved rip and rain resistance for that inevitable Alaska rain.
image.thumb.jpeg.868b8ab4c9183fdc98329fdb1d07383e.jpeg

I'm too cheap to own a stapler, so I'll be using tape to affix them to my luggage as well.

Cheers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cartographile said:

but by stretching and sticking some packing tape over them, I've got improved rip and rain resistance for that inevitable Alaska rain.

I do the same thing.  The tape makes the paper tags much more durable.  I print and put a tag on each handle the bag has.  I think that increases the chances that at least one tag will remain on the bag.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, Cartographile said:

Instead of risking luggage tags ripping (mostly by me) I looked into the reusable luggage tag holders/protectors like these.
image.thumb.png.65d52e13f63506920af6b4d4cc1b681a.png
They're only ~$6-10 for 4, but why bother when there's a cheapskate alternative? (Especially if you're not a regular cruiser.)

When folded correctly, the Princess luggage tags say, "This luggage tag has been successfully tested for durability." but by stretching and sticking some packing tape over them, I've got improved rip and rain resistance for that inevitable Alaska rain.
image.thumb.jpeg.868b8ab4c9183fdc98329fdb1d07383e.jpeg

I'm too cheap to own a stapler, so I'll be using tape to affix them to my luggage as well.

Cheers.

Dollar tree has staplers. They are small & lightweight enough to pack!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, aml3679 said:

We decided to give Carnival a try and staying in an ocean view room

Curious--did you compare the same date & itinerary to other lines?

We often find that Carnival is not cheaper than other lines.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Barefootwoman said:

I'm retired now and would like to cruise more often. Where can I sign up to receive information on last minute deals? As well, does anyone know of a cabin mate matching service? Thanks

Some TA's  will do cabin mates  or I would look for lines with solo rates or low single supplements

JMO

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 1:20 PM, Barefootwoman said:

I'm retired now and would like to cruise more often. Where can I sign up to receive information on last minute deals? As well, does anyone know of a cabin mate matching service? Thanks

Or sail lines like Carnival. No single supplement like RCL. And if you’re not too fussy about food, Carnival’s ‘included’ food offerings are far better than RCL. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:35 AM, KKB said:

Curious--did you compare the same date & itinerary to other lines?

We often find that Carnival is not cheaper than other lines.

I think Carnival’s prices on interior and OV especially on their older ships are lower. Balcony rooms on their newer ships are pretty close to RCL and NCL at this time.

3 hours ago, Inveterate Cruiser said:

I think Carnival’s prices on interior and OV especially on their older ships are lower. Balcony rooms on their newer ships are pretty close to RCL and NCL at this time.

10 years ago DM wanted to take the whole family on a New Years cruise.

We started with Carnival thinking it would be cheaper but the only rooms that were cheaper were true bunk rooms for 2! We booked interior rooms on Princess for considerably less than Carnival for the same category.

I find RCCL to be expensive if you factor in tips, wifi & drink packages--they can't compete with NCL, Princess or Celebrity. We even got a "free" RCL trip via URcomped & once we factored those things in, it was no cheaper than booking another line!!!!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KKB said:

I find RCCL to be expensive if you factor in tips, wifi & drink packages

My experience with these packages with any cruise line, the price is higher than the cruise price without the packages included.  All I have had my travel agent do is to get the "no package"price and it has always been a better price.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My experience with these packages with any cruise line, the price is higher than the cruise price without the packages included.  All I have had my travel agent do is to get the "no package"price and it has always been a better price.  

Yes, the price is cheaper without the extras. 

But you must pay tips so factor that in.

If you want wifi & the drink package (as we do), factor that in & RCCL can't compare.

Princess charges $50/day/pp more for these things w/ Princess Plus.

Well tips are $13.50/day. Wifi is $10/day.

So about $25 for unlimited drinks--sodas, speciality coffees, waters, alcoholic drinks--is a decent price even if one doesn't drink much.

Now for those who don't drink, YMMV.

i am Diamond on RCL and most recently sailed my first time ever on the Carnival Vista (balcony). My view is that RCL is great if you are an investor (in their stock) - there is so much up selling going on all the time by RCL staff and you need to upgrade to specialty dining + drinks package etc. if you’re going to have a decent experience nowadays. (My last RCL sail was in April on Allure)

But Carnival is great for regular customers cos we had very good meals without specialty dining. In fact I could not see why people on Carnival would pay for Specialty dining when they could access most of the specialty dining venues for free at lunch.

Bottom-line:  Picking the right cruise line matters.

PS. For foodies, I have seen very good reviews for Virgin Voyages - they have done away with specialty dining and instead specialty dining becomes the norm. 

• Like 2

My ideas: 

- I keep comparison-pricing flying with driving, and -- for us, living in NC -- it's not even close.  Driving is cheaper by a long shot; yes, that includes all the little extras that come with each choice.  

- Definitely avoid summer and holidays.  

- We've recently decided to become loyal to Royal Caribbean.  Why?  Because if we stick to that one company, we'll reach Diamond status, and that'll give us free drinks.  Also, we bought stock in Royal Caribbean, so we get $100 OBC for every trip.  

- I have the Royal Caribbean credit card, but my Discover card pays a higher rewards, so that's my go-to -- except for when I'm spending on an actual cruise. 

- We book onboard to get a Next Cruise credit.  

- We definitely watch for price drops.  We only booked two weeks ago, but we've already received two price drops.  

- We are happy with food that's included in the ticket price -- even for celebrations.  

- We brought two bottles of wine each -- no problem.  And we drink ashore.

- I definitely don't shop onboard; honestly, I didn't even see anything I wanted.  

- Pack plenty of sunscreen, Tylenol, cold medicines, etc.  These things are quite expensive to buy onboard.  

- Last one:  Don't skip cruise insurance.  Emergency evacuation is incredibly expensive, even if it is unlikely.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2008 at 11:55 AM, ChevyCruiser said:

Not because the economy is "weak" or gas prices have "skyrocketed" - most of which has been conjured up by the left-wing media 

OP, It's funny how much the world has changed in 14 years 😉  Good tips in this thread.

I'd like to know best way to get free OBC (besides vet. and shareholder)

Edited by JesseLivermore
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JesseLivermore said:

I'd like to know best way to get free OBC (besides vet. and shareholder)

There seems to be an increasing number of offers by the cruise lines that include OBC.  But, I caution you.  Check the price of such a cruise without the package that includes the OBC.  Almost always, the price of the cruise will be less.  One can then decide if whatever the package contains is worth the price to them.  

• Like 1