Orcas in Victoria

Got2Cruise

Has anyone taken a whale watching tour this season out of Victoria? I have seen several posts concerning whale watching in Juneau, but not many about seeing the Orcas in Victoria. I thought Victoria is where many of the pods hang out? Will it be a waste of time to go on an excursion in Victoria? Opinions welcome. We will be there in mid-July. The ship's excursion is 6:15 p.m. but I was considering taking one of the smaller boats where you wear the wet gear.

We went on the whale watching tour out of Victoria and it was a complete waste of time and money. We saw whales on the Juneau and Sitka wildlife excursions. We are going back to Alaska in August 08 and plan to do the horse carriage ride.

You really do NOT have enough port time in Victoria. The ship orca tours are shortened compared to the regular run tours. Yes there are the southern resident JKL pods, but it is a BIG area. Shorter tours have to have them within range of reaching them. When I am there, I am always overnight and always go on two tours, to increase my chances.

I will only speculate, the odds are probably 60-70% with the ship tours.

If you want the zodiac trips, then plan on getting to Victoria with an overnight. I haven't seen them offered with cruise excurions. Another option is to choose one of the FEW cruises that does have a longer time in Victoria.

We did the Orca Whale watch thru NCL last May and had a blast. It was late like in the 6 o'clock hour too but still daylight. I loved it. We saw on really big pod and stayed with it a long while. It also had a baby. I got some really great pictures. They stay on the top of the water verses diving down deep and leaving for a while. IT was really neat to see them so close up. We also did the zodiac jet boats. But you have to know a lot of the tour is riding in the boat to get to the whales and riding back to the ship. You have to go where ever the whales are that day. But we found them and had so much fun watching them. I did read that they did not see any a couple weeks ago so I guess you just have to take the chance. I will do it again in a heart beat.

you don't say when you arrive in Victoria. I can give you a review next week as we're doing a tour(in a zodiac) with Ocean Explorations this weekend. I think their last 3 hr. tour leaves at 5pm. Our kids bought us this tour and 1 nights stay for christmas last year. Can't wait!:D

Just got back from the Pearl and did a orca tour with Prince of Whales on Saturday, May 31st. I contacted them prior to our trip and they set up a special time for us to go out on the Zodiac tour. We arrived in Victoria at 6:00. BEWARE - if you have any type of back, neck, hip and don't want to have a very sore body I highly suggest you don't go on the zodiac tour! :eek: The local pod was 20 miles away and we had to go out over the open ocean and high speeds and it was very windy so the seas were very very rough. We got beat to death. We finally made it to the whales and the guy that did our tour for some reason would not get us close to the whales. We had wonderful opportunity to see them up close and even one of the younger males was breaching alot. But, we were not very close so we couldn't get any good pictures or views. It was overall pretty dissapointing because even the bigger tour boats that were out there got ALOT closer than we did in our little zodiac boat. :mad:

Well, now that I've been, I have to agree with tjbarney. Wouldn't do the zodiac again. I was wet within the 1st 10 min. Seas were very rough and the survival suit was NOT WATERPROOF! I spent most of the trip out and back hudled with my hood almost over my face. Not that I could see anyway with sea water in my eyes and all over my glasses. We did at least get a pretty good view when the whale came a bit closer to us than we were allowed to get to them. The whale watching companies are being monitored constantly and are supposed to keep at least 100 meters away. We were lucky that a couple of whales from J pod came about 50-60 meters away for a better look. I would have been dissapointed if I'd only been able to see their fins in the distance, as I can do that from shore near home.

If you're not into bouncing around and getting wet I'd choose one of the bigger boats, but don't expect to get up close and personal with any whales.

It also depends what operator. You have no control over this with a ship tour, but I most always go on the zodiacs and the operator I use, I know where to sit, and just about never get wet. At most some spray. For my preferences, I like the low water views for orcas.

So, if people happen to be in Victoria independent, all boat operators are not the same or use the same equiptment.

I agree, the boats can also get you wet, but you have shelter to get behind and avoid being out if the boat is bouncing. :)

Just got back from the Pearl and did a orca tour with Prince of Whales on Saturday, May 31st. I contacted them prior to our trip and they set up a special time for us to go out on the Zodiac tour. We arrived in Victoria at 6:00. BEWARE - if you have any type of back, neck, hip and don't want to have a very sore body I highly suggest you don't go on the zodiac tour! The local pod was 20 miles away and we had to go out over the open ocean and high speeds and it was very windy so the seas were very very rough. We got beat to death. We finally made it to the whales and the guy that did our tour for some reason would not get us close to the whales. We had wonderful opportunity to see them up close and even one of the younger males was breaching alot. But, we were not very close so we couldn't get any good pictures or views. It was overall pretty dissapointing because even the bigger tour boats that were out there got ALOT closer than we did in our little zodiac boat.

Well, now that I've been, I have to agree with tjbarney. Wouldn't do the zodiac again. I was wet within the 1st 10 min. Seas were very rough and the survival suit was NOT WATERPROOF! I spent most of the trip out and back hudled with my hood almost over my face. Not that I could see anyway with sea water in my eyes and all over my glasses. We did at least get a pretty good view when the whale came a bit closer to us than we were allowed to get to them. The whale watching companies are being monitored constantly and are supposed to keep at least 100 meters away. We were lucky that a couple of whales from J pod came about 50-60 meters away for a better look. I would have been dissapointed if I'd only been able to see their fins in the distance, as I can do that from shore near home.

If you're not into bouncing around and getting wet I'd choose one of the bigger boats, but don't expect to get up close and personal with any whales.

this is good to know...DW read your post and decided to go to the Gardens instead; the boys, on the other hand, thought the spashing and rough seas sounded great!

It also depends what operator. You have no control over this with a ship tour, but I most always go on the zodiacs and the operator I use, I know where to sit, and just about never get wet. At most some spray. For my preferences, I like the low water views for orcas.

So, if people happen to be in Victoria independent, all boat operators are not the same or use the same equiptment.

I agree, the boats can also get you wet, but you have shelter to get behind and avoid being out if the boat is bouncing. :)

BQ. what operator do you use?

Has anyone had any experience with Five Star? I was thinking of doing a day trip over to Victoria from Vancouver the day before our cruise.

We did an evening excursion with Five Star a couple of years ago and it was excellent. The boat was fast, but very comfortable and warm inside the cabin. The naturalist they had on board was one of the best we have had for any wildlife excursion and provided the information in a way that was entertaining as well as informative. She totally won my kids over! They log every trip on their web site, so you can go back and read about your excursion and the whales that you spotted. I would whole-heartedly recommend them.

We did the Zodiac tour thru NCL and LOVED it. We did not get wet at all. It was cold and bouncy though. We had heavy coats to wear. But never got wet. We felt like we were really close to the whales.... So I guess it does make a difference who you go with on this tour. It was one of my favorite tours yet. But I guess it is all chance on if you see them, how close you get, and how wet you get.

The scenery was beautiful though.

Archived