Denali train alternatives

24Alaska

Hi all, we will be arriving in Anchorage on July 5th, very late. We are leaving on Carnival Spirit on July 9th. So we unfortunately have very limitied time. My wife really, really wants to take the train to Denali. I've read the forum recomendations about cars, but dont' see many good alternatives. Is there a way to take the train for a portion of the trip and then use a car?

Talking to AlaskaTours, their recommendation is to overnight for 2 nights in Anchorage. Take the Gold Star Train to Denali. Take a tour (reading the boards, we'll do the shuttle.) Then on July 9 take the bus back to Anchorage and then to Whittier to board the ship.

This seems risky. Is it safe to take the bus all the way from Denali to Whittier in one day???

Any other suggestions or alternatives for our limited time?

Thanks!

I would rent a car for the drive to and from Denali, then take the train from Anchorage to Whittier to get your train "fix." Even with your late arrival in Anchorage, I would pick-up a rental car the next day and take your time driving to Denali. Stay there 2 nights, then return to Anchorage on the 8th. Take the train to Whittier on the 9th, and maybe go on a 4-hour Prince William Sound glacier cruise before boarding your ship, if interested.

I agree with Nancy. We rented a car in Anchorage and then drove to Denali. We saw more wildlife on the drive up to Denali and much closer than in the park. Plus we could stop for as long as we wanted to watch. We also saw Mount McKinley and were able to look and take pictures at the highway viewing area for as long as we wanted. At Denali we were able to come and go as we wanted without having to always wait for a bus. We then took the train from Anchorage to Whittier for our train ride. We rented our car from the downtown Hertz location which is directly across the street from the Captain Cook Hotel. Cheaper than the airport location due to airport taxes and only about a 10-15 minute walk to the train station. We checked our bags at the train station, returned the car, and walked back to the station all in about an hour.

Taking the train to Denali Park, takes EXTRA time that you don't have. My only recommendation is for you to drive. Allow 6 hours each way Denali Park/Anchorage, with stops along the way. Two nights at Denali Park and the shuttle bus to at least Eielson. An alternative, IF you have an early bus, and definately doable if only going to Eielson, is one night at Denali park, then the second in the Talkeetna area. You last day would then offer you some time in Anchorage for sightseeing.

Then as the excellent solution above, take the 10am Anchorage/Whittier train. Also consider a boat tour to Prince William Sound when you get there, don't be in a rush to get on your ship. Just a fantastic tour, a not to be missed.

Archived