Which museum is the best to visit and why?

gram4haley

We plan to hit 2 or 3 museums (homes, museums or forts) while in Bermuda. The Maritime Museum at the Dockyard is definitely on the list. I would lilke to hear your opinion on which museums are good and why. I would also like lto know if you feel any should definitely be avoided and why.

We plan to hit 2 or 3 museums (homes, museums or forts) while in Bermuda. The Maritime Museum at the Dockyard is definitely on the list. I would lilke to hear your opinion on which museums are good and why. I would also like lto know if you feel any should definitely be avoided and why.

Just fyi, depending on when your cruise is, Fort St Catherine might be closed for repairs. I've read in several places that it's currently closed and will reopen sometime this summer.

I thought the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute was pretty interesting. It's only a short walk from downtown Hamilton and on a bus route.

The Aquarium and Zoo were just ok. I'd put it way down on the list of "must sees".

I also recommend the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. Here is their link.

http://www.buei.org/

Last Wednesday we took the bus to Hamilton with plans to take another bus to the botanical gardens. It started to rain and a tourist information woman suggested the BUEI. We spend about 2 hours there and really enjoyed it.

I had thought it was a research facility but it is really a very well put together museum devoted to what is under the sea.

Janet

Fort Hamilton is also worth the visit. It is a bit of a walk to get there, but it is a must see location. The fort is in great shape and the former moat is now a botanical garden with a nice walkway through it. When you go across the draw bridge, there is a set of stairs going down into the moat area on your left. The fort is seldom crowded and there are many passeges and galleries to explore. You will enjoy some great views of Hamilton Harbor as well.

Eric

My DH and DS walked to FT. Hamilton. It was July, so they were hot and sweaty, but they really enjoyed seeing the fort, and they met a few locals on the way who were very friendly and gave directions.

Though I don't see it mentioned much on this board, I liked the Tucker House Museum in St. George's. I loved the period pieces of furniture and learning a bit of how life was for a family of status at that time.

• 2 weeks later...
still looking for info on the goverment offices ???:confused:

The Parliament Building is down near the east end of Front Street. It is fenced, although the gates are generally open. Your best bet might be to check the officiel Bermuda tourism web site for links to the government offices and possible tours. You will also want to see if they are in session while you are there. If they are not in session, your chances of getting a tour are probably higher.

Eric

We did the Maritime Museum at the Dockyard and I am not one big on History or Forts, so I thought this was going to be a big flop for me. I loved it. The views by the cannons were great. We got some great pics of the ship docked at the dockyard. The actual Museum's history was so interesting, it truly touched me deeply. There is so much to see there, the place is huge, so give yourself plenty of time for that. You can also see the Dolphin Quest there. It really left me with a different respect with the inportance of history. That is one thing about Bermuda that I truly love and respect is how they perserve their history. Around our area, if a building is historic or not, if it is old, demolish it and put up a new one, that is their motto. The Maritime Museum showed the old ways of electricity, the different types of fishing vessels and anchors used years ago, and the entire history of Bermuda and the British Navy and their role in WWII. I thought this would be so boring for me, but it was the total opposite. The history of it all just grabs you as you walk through and see the artifacts and actual pictures of yesteryear. I am sure you will find this an interesting stop.

• 3 weeks later...
... have now started in the Tucker House Museum and the Globe Hotel Museum, both in St Georges, and very well worth seeing.

I wish they were doing this when we were there! It sounds interesting.

Archived