Wireless charge?

littlegap

Does anyone know about how much is charged on the Diamond for wireless use? I am debating if I should take my laptop or not. Alos, about how much do they charge to use the internet cafe? Thanks!

.75 a min. for wireless. Only around the net cafe and a few other areas.

Inside on their computers you can buy a package 100.00 for 250 mins I think it was. Unless you have a suite (not a mini) it is free. Well, it gets credited back to you.

There are some of the ships that are being changed around and to where you could get the internet in your cabin and that the wireless would be as part of you min. package. But I dont think Diamond has changed yet. I could be wrong but.

Now, we went to Hawaii and was able to use our PC Cell card on our laptop around the Islands. THAT was nice. Because the ships internet IS slow.

Don, what is a PC cell card, how does it work, and where do you get this? I was recently given a laptop as a gift, and was thinking of taking it on the next cruise.

As you can tell, I qualify a a "computer dummie". LOL

Don, what is a PC cell card, how does it work, and where do you get this? I was recently given a laptop as a gift, and was thinking of taking it on the next cruise.

Some people use there cellphone and hook it to their computer. I choose to have the data card. It is only going to work around land. But it is broadband/national card. Meaning if you are in a broadband area you will get anywhere from 1.5 per sec. to 380's or so. If it cant hook into broadband then it hooks in Nationwide. Which is still faster than a modem and MUCH faster than the ship. LOL

But again, your only going to use it around ports. And the cost is (for 5 gigs per month. They call or use to unlimited but that is plenty) 59.99.

We are with Verizon and you can go to verizonwireless.com and look for wireless internet. Like I side. You can also use your phone and hook to the laptop if it is campatable. But you would still pay for the wirless package.

It was very cool to wake up in the morning. Go out on the balcony and the card would kick in while approching the Islands. Even sometimes going BY one.

ALSO, depending on your laptop? They are either PCMCI cards or express cards. The express cards are narrower. Dells I know use the express slot.

We use it all the time in the RV also. You travel. I drive. Mama is online. LOL

Here are the cards and what they look like.

Here are the plans.

Does anyone know about how much is charged on the Diamond for wireless use? I am debating if I should take my laptop or not. Alos, about how much do they charge to use the internet cafe? Thanks!

Wireless or in the ship's Internet cafe -- it's the same price. The difference is that, on your own laptop, you can download/upload emails in a fraction of the time it takes to do so on the ship's computer.

On your laptop, with a properly configured email client, you download your emails and disconnect -- the clock stops ticking ($$$). Read and compose your replies at your leisure. Then log on and upload the replies. Fast and easy, no muss no fuss.

Wireless or in the ship's Internet cafe -- it's the same price. The difference is that, on your own laptop, you can download/upload emails in a fraction of the time it takes to do so on the ship's computer.

On your laptop, with a properly configured email client, you download your emails and disconnect -- the clock stops ticking ($$$). Read and compose your replies at your leisure. Then log on and upload the replies. Fast and easy, no muss no fuss.

Then they must have changed it since 10-2007 cool!! Cause it was packages for the on board computers and then per min. via wireless. On Diamond anyhow.

Wireless is 50 cents per minute.

The internet cafe is 75 cents per minute, or you can buy a package:

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes.

If you are platinum or elite, you get a credit that can only be used in the internet cafe, not for wireless.

donscomp - have you ever gone over the 5GB allottment of the broadband?

No. And I have used it in the RV a LOT. I have it hooked in to a router and Mama & I are on it all day. Corurse were not downloading songs all day. We absolutly love it. Pricey but I love not relaying on parks internet and or hot spots. We are our own hot spot. :)

But 5 Gigs is a LOT

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes.

If you are platinum or elite, you get a credit that can only be used in the internet cafe, not for wireless.

Ya know Paul. I THOUGHT I was only charged .50 a min. for wireless. But wasnt sure.

Just an FYI

This is the router we use for the wireless broadband. We did NOT take it on the cruise though as when we were in port we were not on the ship except mornings and evenings. We only took one laptop on board.

It just dawned on me. As far as you getting wireless access on your cruise FROM the ship. You wont need anything. The cell PC card is for access on the road, or around Islands. U.S. Just didnt want to confuse you. If your laptop is newer. Again, you would need nothing as most laptops can pick up wireless hot spots (which are on the ship) as it is built in.

I have a brand new Dell laptop that I just love..

I'm just not sure I want to drag it along all the way to Tahiti. Being Platinum, I will get "free" internet in the internet cafe. I think that should take care of what I need.

I have a brand new Dell laptop that I just love..

I'm just not sure I want to drag it along all the way to Tahiti. Being Platinum, I will get "free" internet in the internet cafe. I think that should take care of what I need.

If they have made the wireless a PART of your Platinum internet mins.? I would take it. Nice to go in the net cafe or around where you can pick up a signal and be on you OWN computer. And if they have got it (or will when you cruise) the ability to pick up a signal in your cabin.

If they havnt and your just going to do emails and stuff an use you mins. on their computers? I would leave it.

And the data card would not do you any good in Tahiti.

We used the internet cafe only because we got it free w/ our platinum upgrade. The satellite connections can be slow as molasses running uphill. OK, you get the point, right?

BTW, if you want to go on the Princess website, do it in the cruise booking area, where it won't use up your minutes.

Steve

I agree, Don, about possibly taking the laptop IF they make wireless part of the internet package. Guess I'll wait till closer to sail time, and try to find out if possibly the package has changed.

I agree, Don, about possibly taking the laptop IF they make wireless part of the internet package. Guess I'll wait till closer to sail time, and try to find out if possibly the package has changed.

Thats what I would do. We will take ours because we hope they will do the (wireless and cafe internet the same) by the time we cruise in 09. Also, because we can use the data card around the Islands as stated before.

Just back from Sea Princess - we had to buy the package on the comps. in the Internet Cafe (and create a password etc.) but once this was done, you could log in there or in the atrium using a laptop as part of the same deal (in our case refunded as we are Elite). It was sooo easy and we were v. grateful for the new company which has taken over internet from Princess as it was all so smooth. Incidentally, we bought a package each and used less than half of it.

Ibrasu

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes.

Just completed a cruise on the Crown and platinum and elite credit can be applied not only to the internet cafe but also to wireless. They must have changed it recently, since on a Christmas cruise on the Island the credit was only applicable to the internet cafe.

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes.

Just completed a cruise on the Crown and platinum and elite credit can be applied not only to the internet cafe but also to wireless. They must have changed it recently, since on a Christmas cruise on the Island the credit was only applicable to the internet cafe.
This was true on the Sapphire Princess in April as well: you could log into your package on your laptop, i.e., the package applied not only to the Internet cafe computers but to my wireless laptop as well.

Why do we as customers have to guess and ask others cruisers questions about wireless internet plans and cell phone reception on Princess' ships? The least Princess could do is to post this information on their website so the customer can make informed choices before cruising.

I also tried calling Princess to ask about wireless internet & cell phone reception. The Princess reps were more confused about this than I was.

Geeeeesh!

Wow! If that's the case, I may just have to schlep this laptop to the Tahitian Princess!

How limited were you as far as where you could use it onboard?

Some ships are being outfitted so as where you can get it in your cabin. Now that may be wired. Not wireless but who cares. As of when we were on Diamond in Oct. 07 Atrium, in and around the internet cafe & Library were where there was a wireless signal. But I am sure that is different on every ship.

Why do we as customers have to guess and ask others cruisers questions about wireless internet plans and cell phone reception on Princess' ships? The least Princess could do is to post this information on their website so the customer can make informed choices before cruising.

I also tried calling Princess to ask about wireless internet & cell phone reception. The Princess reps were more confused about this than I was.

Geeeeesh!

Come on!!!!!!! THAT would be to easy and we wouldnt have anyting to type about here! LOL!!!!

Archived