Suggestions for good "get-together" restaurant in Long Beach/San Pedro

roudy1, I'm sorry, but I edited my sentence, and obviously not very well!!:D

I had added that a group of several hundred might be a bit crowded.......then I decided that was silly and took PART of it out.......instead of the whole sentence.

There was information in that web site about banquets and catering, so it looks as if you are expecting a large group, they could accomomodate you.

We really enjoyed the Acapulco, enough to go back with friends before our second cruise from San Pedro.

I hope you find a "perfect" spot, as it sure starts off your cruise on a high note.

roudy1, I'm sorry, but I edited my sentence, and obviously not very well!!:D

I had added that a group of several hundred might be a bit crowded.......then I decided that was silly and took PART of it out.......instead of the whole sentence.

There was information in that web site about banquets and catering, so it looks as if you are expecting a large group, they could accomomodate you.

We really enjoyed the Acapulco, enough to go back with friends before our second cruise from San Pedro.

I hope you find a "perfect" spot, as it sure starts off your cruise on a high note.

Hi DD...thanks for the clarification it really helps...we will probably have a group of about 50 or so people...and we all really like Mex food and want to see the Norwegian Star and one of the Princess ships leave on Saturday before we sail on Sunday...I think you have helped us make our decision. Char :)

I took my scrapbooking group to Alcapulco before our Monarch cruise, on Valentine's day. No problem, service and food was good. They are good with groups. Went back on Father's day with just 5 of us, and food and service was not as good. I would consider it a large restaurant.

I took my scrapbooking group to Alcapulco before our Monarch cruise, on Valentine's day. No problem, service and food was good. They are good with groups. Went back on Father's day with just 5 of us, and food and service was not as good. I would consider it a large restaurant.

JJ2sail...thanks for your info...these suggestions and information really helps us make our decision. :D

Char

• 4 weeks later...
We like getting together at the Acapulco which is right on the water. We sat outside once and watched container ships cruising along. It was also a lot of fun inside.

Thanks GAG...we are pretty much decided to have our dinner meeting at the Alcapulco...and thanks for giving us your thoughts. This thread has been really helpful.

Char

LOL. I had to laugh when I saw the word GAG there! :D At first I thought you were referring to the restaurant. Then I noticed you said you were going there! :confused: Took me a second to realize my name is GAG for short! :p

Have a great time! My daughter I will be there the evening of April 4, the night before our Mariner cruise. Can't wait!

Thanks GAG...we are pretty much decided to have our dinner meeting at the Alcapulco...and thanks for giving us your thoughts. This thread has been really helpful.

Char

It's February 22, a Sunday, correct? So, you are looking for Saturday night dinner? The Sapphire Princess will pass right by within feet of Acapulco a little after it sets sail at 4:00 pm...either followed or preceded by the Norwegian Star...You might want to consider a late afternoon drinking session at Acapulco--out on the patio--and wave to the other ships as they pass...

Apparently the captains don't like that. We were eating and chatting and having a nice time when someone yelled "LOOK OUT!". I looked up and this is what I saw ...

DPheadon-2.jpg

Some time later some friends invited me over for some drinks. Again, we were just sitting there and talking when some yelled, "OMG!" I looked up and this is what I saw ...

Star3-4-2-06.jpg

Again, much later, after a day touring Ports of Call, we decided to have an early dinner. Just as the waiter was bringing the food he looked up, dropped the tray and ran. I looked up and this is what I saw ...

VOS3-4-2-06.jpg

After having there ships just about run me over, I asked the manager what the deal was. He told me that some of the captains don't like it when people stare at them while they are leaving. So, if you decide to eat there, make sure you don't look at the ships as they are coming down the channel.

This is what it looks like when the captains are not trying to run you over ...

Acapulco.jpg

LOL. I had to laugh when I saw the word GAG there! :D At first I thought you were referring to the restaurant. Then I noticed you said you were going there! :confused: Took me a second to realize my name is GAG for short! :p Have a great time! My daughter I will be there the evening of April 4, the night before our Mariner cruise. Can't wait!

Ooooooops sorry, and you know what when I typed that I didn't even give it a thought. LOL Anyway you sound like a good sport....and have fun on the Mariner. :D We are really excited about this cruise...tho dh and I have been to Mexico many times we are basically going because of friends and the ship.:p

Hi - We are doing a B2B on the Mariner next November and are trying to decide where to stay - basically between San Pedro and Long Beach. Where are you guys staying in San Pedro?

Also, does anyone know if the Acapulco in Long Beach (6270 E. Pacific Coast Hwy) has a view of the water like the one in San Pedro?

Thanks,

Canuck

Hi - We are doing a B2B on the Mariner next November and are trying to decide where to stay - basically between San Pedro and Long Beach. Where are you guys staying in San Pedro?

Also, does anyone know if the Acapulco in Long Beach (6270 E. Pacific Coast Hwy) has a view of the water like the one in San Pedro?

Thanks, Canuck

Hi CanuckCruizer....most of us are staying at the DoubleTree in San Pedro for our Feb 22 cruise on Mariner. There is the Crowne Plaza that I have heard you can see the ships in port if you are on the right side of the hotel. Also there is the Coast Hotel that is near the Queen Mary at the Port of Long Beach and would only be about a 5 mile drive to the Mariner.

Sorry never eaten at the Acapulco in LB so don't know if you can see the water. But there are a lot of posts on this thread that talks about restaurants and hotels in both areas...you could also ask the question with a new post.

Anyway you are so lucky doing a B2B...dh and I want to do one but will probably wait until we do a cruise out of Florida, New York or somewhere on the East Coast...you know to save on airfare...yeah that is the reason...:rolleyes: But really not a bad reason...

Char

roudy1 - thanks for the info. I am not too thrilled with the reviews I have read on the Doubletree and the Crowne Plaza - lol. I am comparing this year's rates as it is too early for next November and in my experience - most hotel rates are in the same ballpark from one year to the next. For our time - the Doubletree is showing $217 AAA for a marina view and the Crowne Plaza is showing $216 AAA - too much! (I would pay that for a more luxurious hotel without a problem - but not for those ones (yes - call me a "hotel snob":D) I know people are saying that they got them on Priceline for $65 - but I looked at biddingfortravel and can't see San Pedro hotels listed anywhere. The Holiday Inn also has questionable reviews as well.

Yes, The Coast is a wonderful option at around $145-$163/night BUT - they are being fully renovated starting in November of this year and are also being sold to a boutique hotel chain - Joie de Vivre - it will be changing to The Hotel Maya and I was told by the front desk clerk at The Coast that the prices are going to go way up! She said that pricing for next fall won't be available until sometime in January. The Hyatt in Long Beach (also with quite questionable reviews) is going for $235. A lot of these hotels have no balconies at all or some have very few (but they cost more $$$ for a balcony) and we are also, yes, "balcony snobs" - lol. The Coast has great big balconies.

So, we are either going to hold out to check pricing on the new one - The Hotel Maya or I would like to know how people are getting these San Pedro hotels on Priceline (I couldn't even find Long Beach). I have used Priceline before a few times - maybe I overlooked something!

Thanks,

Canuck

Whoops! I found it - San Gabriel Valley/Long Beach - I guess the San Gabriel part didn't catch me eye!!! Anyone stayed at that Marina Hotel (formerly the Hilton)?

Well, if the "new" Coast (Hotel Maya) goes on Priceline - that would be good - then you would only get that one.

Canuck

Thanks,

Canuck

It has a view of some salt water, but I would not say it is like the one in San Pedro. At best you will see small boats. It is on a channel that is a branch off the main channel in a small boat marina.

You are too far inland to see the Carnival dock and even if you are high enough to see the Carnival dock (which is about 4.5 miles away), that is as close as you will get. The ship will leave the dock and move away from you.

cuizer2 - thanks for the info - sounds like the San Pedro one is better. If we don't get there before the cruise - we may try lunch there on turnaround day (in between our B2B). If we were on the Mariner - how far would it be to Acapulco? We were on the Sapphire Princess at San Pedro & I don't remember seeing it. I suppose it would be a short cabride?

Thanks,

Canuck

roudy1 - thanks for the info. I am not too thrilled with the reviews I have read on the Doubletree and the Crowne Plaza - lol. I am comparing this year's rates as it is too early for next November and in my experience - most hotel rates are in the same ballpark from one year to the next. For our time - the Doubletree is showing $217 AAA for a marina view and the Crowne Plaza is showing $216 AAA - too much! (I would pay that for a more luxurious hotel without a problem - but not for those ones (yes - call me a "hotel snob") I know people are saying that they got them on Priceline for $65 - but I looked at biddingfortravel and can't see San Pedro hotels listed anywhere. The Holiday Inn also has questionable reviews as well.Canuck

Wow...sorry to hear that but you might want to check your research again...we booked direct with DT and got a $204 rate (AAA) and includes marina view, free breakfast, free shuttle, free parking 10 nights. And dh and I have stayed at the Hyatt in LB and LOVED it beautiful hotel with great views, good location, and good food just a fabulous place to stay. :D I think the worst part about the Holiday Inn is the neighborhood...otherwise they have remodeled and the rooms are older HI type but clean, free shuttle to port, cruise parking, and a good price. So for someone looking for a one night stay before your cruise in my opinion HI would definately be an option.

Hey guys...

I'm just curious where you are reading such bad reviews?:confused:

Where are they?

What are you referring to?

I'm confused.:o

CJW...I agree totally with you have heard good reviews. :)

CJW - on Trip Advisor.

I read Trip Advisor as well...but you have to be careful with the reviews because some are really old...and I take them with a grain of salt sometimes. ;)

But anyway, good luck with your search for a hotel and restaurant but for us we are happy with what we have as is our fairly large group. :D

roudy - Wow - I wonder if it is time of year - you are going in February, I think - I am looking at end of October/early November (maybe they up the rates for Hallowe'en night) but yours is a better deal for sure. I haven't talked to any "live" humans that have stayed there - lol - just read reviews on TA but there were a few bad recent reviews for several of the hotels I was looking at.

I feel better after your comments about the Hyatt and The Holiday Inn. Sometimes you don't know if those reviews are from "trolls" or not.

Hopefully you will do a review of the Mariner and the Doubletree when you get back. Hope you guys have a great time!!

Thanks,

Canuck

roudy - Wow - I wonder if it is time of year - you are going in February, I think - I am looking at end of October/early November (maybe they up the rates for Hallowe'en night) but yours is a better deal for sure. I haven't talked to any "live" humans that have stayed there - lol - just read reviews on TA but there were a few bad recent reviews for several of the hotels I was looking at.

I feel better after your comments about the Hyatt and The Holiday Inn. Sometimes you don't know if those reviews are from "trolls" or not.

Hopefully you will do a review of the Mariner and the Doubletree when you get back. Hope you guys have a great time!! Thanks, Canuck

Not sure about halloween being more expensive...don't think San Pedro will have big celebrations but not sure.

Yeah those reviews can actually go either way...an employee bumping up a hotes, etc. so people will stay there...as well as trolls. LOL

We are really looking forward to our cruise and will not doubt sail on Mariner many times since she will be close by. :D

Yes, it would be a short cab ride from the port terminal to the Acapulco restaurant. 1.03 miles and 3 minutes drive. Here is the Mapquest link:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1qn=Los+Angeles+Cruise+Ship+Trmnl&1c=San+Pedro&1s=CA&1a=Berth+93&1z=90731&1y=US&1l=33.7496&1g=-118.278496&1v=ADDRESS&2c=San+Pedro&2s=CA&2pn=acapulco+restaurant&2y=US&2l=33.735802&2g=-118.291397&2v=CITY#a/maps/l:Los+Angeles+Cruise+Ship+Trmnl:Berth+93:San+Pedro:CA:90731:US:33.7496:-118.278496:address:/l:Acapulco+Mexican+Restaurant:750+Sampson+Way+&35;+83:San+Pedro:CA:90731:US:33.737458:-118.279016:address:/m::12:33.743653:-118.279296:0::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

cuizer2 - thanks for the info - sounds like the San Pedro one is better. If we don't get there before the cruise - we may try lunch there on turnaround day (in between our B2B). If we were on the Mariner - how far would it be to Acapulco? We were on the Sapphire Princess at San Pedro & I don't remember seeing it. I suppose it would be a short cabride?

Thanks,

Canuck

Thanks,

Canuck

Short cab ride nothing. You can get there for $1. Here is how ...

Princess docks where the Monarch is ...

Overview.jpg

Go to the "train station" and you should see this ...

Train.jpg

and this ...

route.jpg

Get off at the Sixth Street station ...

SanPedrowithhotel.jpg

And the Acapulco Restaurant is just off to your right. You can see the trolley leaving the Sixth Street station in the photo of the Acapulco Restaurant below ...

Acapulco.jpg

Thanks, Canuck! Glad it helped.

Until recently, this sorta looked like me. I had a "bob type pageboy" Same dark hair. BUT, I decided to cut it off into a "pixie!" I needed a change. Now I might have to find a new avatar! :D

Goodasgold - thanks for the info & I LOVE your avatar!!

Canuck

Archived