Whale Watching - Victoria or Juneau??

LokiGB

Hi!

We have a choice of doing whale watching in Victoria or Juneau. Which port do you think offers better tours with the chance to see more whales?

Are the Orcas more spectacular than the humpbacks?

Has anyone been on the jet boats out of Victoria? Do they offer good tours?

I'm a humpback girl!!! :) Orcas are "ok" for me, and enjoyable to see. It totally depends on your interests. I Have also gone on over 100 whale watches.

Your question of seeing the most, will be Juneau, 100% chance of humpback sightings. With many late and short port times, only the ship tours can be scheduled out of Victoria, these are shorter than the regular tours offered direct and the ones I go on. Out of Victoria, there is about 75% average sightings, of the orcas. Cut that down a few points with a shorter time. Averages are only that. :) Pure chance, but I've never gotten skunked here, but I know people who have.

I am not sure who you are referring to as "jet boats" the closest I can think is Eagle Wing. If that is the case you may want to check with them, their schedules may not work with your time in port. However there are a lot of whale excursion opertators in Victoria who do work around and with ships' port times and all are very professional opterators. Should you not see Orcas out of Victoria you will see other sea life, lots of great scenery and depending on the date you are here, a lovely sunset.

Just back from Dawn Princess 05-27 to 06-06 sailing. The whale watch in Juneau was wonderful. Lots, and I mean "LOTS" of humpbacks and even 2 pods of orcas. They all put on a beautiful show for us!!! It was great. The tour boat was very comfortable. My mother stayed on the first level, inside, due to warm temperatures but she was able to enjoy it all! I was on the top level, outside, and I must admit cold and very windy but worth every minute. The views were spectacular and the whales did not disappoint us at all!

I will always remember this excursion as one of the best in my life!!!

AlinaMaria

Thank you SO much for this good information! We have decided to cancel our short jet boat tour in Victoria (and will go to Buchart Gardens instead) and will try and schedule with Orca Enterprises" Awesome Orca tour in Juneau. We really want to see whales and Juneau definitely sounds like the best place to see them.

Thanks again!

Thank you SO much for this good information! We have decided to cancel our short jet boat tour in Victoria (and will go to Buchart Gardens instead) and will try and schedule with Orca Enterprises" Awesome Orca tour in Juneau. We really want to see whales and Juneau definitely sounds like the best place to see them.

Thanks again!

You are welcome, I am sure that you will really enjoy the gardens.

Thanks again!

You are welcome! Before our Alaska cruise, I learned a lot reading these boards and the choices made were the best for us.

BTW: We also did the "Tea at Butchart Gardens" and it was wonderful. The Gardens are truly beautiful and the tea was delicious!

Have a great time! Alaska is absolutely beautiful!

AlinaMaria

We loved the whale watching and salmon bake at Orca Point Lodge last week in Juneau. We saw lots of whales, and the lunch was great. It was the best tour we've taken in a long time.

Archived