Local food

GoneCruzin'

everyone speaks wonders of Panchos Back Yard. It isn't too far from the Terminal. We remember seeing it, but I don't remember exactly where..too much tequila:D . Another place that we ate was La Candelera. It is a cuban/mexican quisine. Seemed to have a lot of seafood. Had the absolute BEST chips and dip.

A must try is "La Choza" on 10th avenue...just real great original Mexican food where many locals also go to eat. Nice atmosphere and friendly service, prices are also very reasonable and not just a tourist tramp...good luck!

the guy that runs La candelera used to be one of the chefs at La Choza.

A must try is "La Choza" on 10th avenue...just real great original Mexican food where many locals also go to eat. Nice atmosphere and friendly service, prices are also very reasonable and not just a tourist tramp...good luck!

I've seen great reviews of La Choza and will have to try it come December. We hit Casa Denis last year and would recommend it to anyone. Nice place (especially inside), good food, and nice atmosphere.

We have also hit several of the beaches, Paradise, Palancar, and Dzul Ha to name a few and to be truthful we have not been disappointed by the food at any of these places. That seems to be the norm. If they don't serve good food and have decent service, they don't stay in business.

You can go to www.cozumelmycozumel.com and www.cozumelinsider.com and find all of the info on the area, including some of the top resturants.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about a specific place but I can tell you what you should try if you want to discover Mexico's southeast food.

- Sopa de Lima

- Cochinita/pollo/pescado pibil

- Panuchos

- Pan de cazón

- Cotzitos

- Pok chuk

- Huevos motuleños

- Papatzules

- Frijol con puerco

- Agua de horchata

- Salpicón de venado

Of course there is a lot more but I think those are very representative dishes.

If you want to know about a particular dish let me know.

One of my Mayan favorites is Ixnepech.:) Stuff will burn your face off, but I LOVE IT!!

Really tasty salsa indeed.

I love thinly chopped habanero with onion, lemon juice, salt pepper and oregano, is awesome with a carne asada taco.

I had a GREAT authentic Mexican lunch at LA CHOZA. It's very close to the Plaza and has a long family history. The food was over-the top DELICIOUS, service was excelente, and prices very reasonable. I can't wait to go back here again!

Hint: Be sure to try their "frozen avacado pie" for desert. Sounds strange I know, but it's yummmmy!

Here is their website where you can view their location & menu.

http://www.lachozarestaurant.com/

Enjoy!

Annie

Archived