West-Coasters cruising from FL-what a pain $$$$

ElvisandTracey

So I am cruising from FLL in April, and right now airfare is a mess, between lack of flights and sky high prices.

I need non-stops from LAX or LB to either FLL or MIA, anyone having any luck on any good prices? Seems like flights to FLL are pretty scarce, I'll probably have to take AA to MIA, whcih is a shame since AA is one of the only airlines I DON'T have miles on.:mad:

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Problems causing higher air prices, although $350.00 on Spirit, nonstop LAX to FLL, is a pretty decent price-available most weekends in April:

Wants a nonstop

Cruising in April-Spring Break, Easter, etc. etc.

If you are trying to save on airfare, book the Spirit flights. And buy trip insurance. Nonstop LAX/MIA is pricing out at $389.00 for most week ends in April. A one stopper on United cuts the price to about $339.00. Those are pretty decent prices. You are flying almost 3000 miles. I fly monthly from LAX to NYC (about the same mileage). $350 and up is the norm

Good luck

I read two articles about the airlines today in travel and financial websites:

- Florida will experience a major pullback in flights, routes, and cities by most airlines. It's cheaper to park planes than to fly into leisure markets at current fare levels. They also named Hawaii, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and San Juan as other destinations that will take big hits.

- Spirit is essentially shutting down their customer service department. Don't expect a good ending to any problems on Spirit.

Bottom line to the OP, book now especially since you're going at Easter.

Elvis & Tracey - we have a non stop, red eye on Jet Blue for Jan 2009 booked from Long Beach - FLL for $99 one way (that is all we needed!) - not sure what the fares are now, but worth checking it out.

Good luck - flights and hotels all seem to be sky high for that time period now.

Elvis & Tracey - we have a non stop, red eye on Jet Blue for Jan 2009 booked from Long Beach - FLL for $99 one way (that is all we needed!) - not sure what the fares are now, but worth checking it out.

Good luck - flights and hotels all seem to be sky high for that time period now.

You lucked out. Congrats!!!

January is far different than April, with Spring Break/Easter. And JetBlue won't release prices until about 6 months pre cruise. By that time, the cheap flights on other airlines will be sold out. Would be a stupid business move for JetBlue to offer many extremely cheap seats when a higher price is justified.

I still think $389.00 RT (taxes included), non stop on AA into Miami, is a pretty darn good price in today's market.

Sorry for the late reply... AA is ending LAX-FLL on Sep. 3. Leaving spirt as the only nonstop to LAX. And as for MIA, AA is the only non-stop.

I just did a real quick search on farecomepare.com and found a 1 stop via Houston on Continental for $301.

Sorry for the late reply... AA is ending LAX-FLL on Sep. 3. Leaving spirt as the only nonstop to LAX. And as for MIA, AA is the only non-stop.

I just did a real quick search on farecomepare.com and found a 1 stop via Houston on Continental for $301.

AA is ending LAX-FLL forever or seasonally or just that day per week?

AA is ending LAX-FLL forever or seasonally or just that day per week?

There is no forever in airline business. But if forever in your mind means non-seasonal, yes, it is non-seasonal. The non-stop flights from FLL are gone because FLL is primarily a LEISURE market which does not make enough money to even cover the fixed costs now, let alone the variable costs.

However, there are 1-stop flights via DFW and ORD, at least 2 I can immediately think of.

MIA is a hub and a gateway (to South America, Central America and Caribbean), therefore the non-stop flights are status-quo.

I believe that they are just ending nonstops that day.

Correct. Nonstops between LAX and FLL are being discontinued. They are also ending non-stops to San Juan from FLL too.

So that pretty much leaves your best options for one-stops and others as follows...

LAX-FLL (Spirit NONSTOP)

LAX-MIA (AA NONSTOP)

LBG-FLL (B6 NONSTOP) Keep in mind, just because you can't book a flight doesnt mean anyone else can. If nonstop is a big issue, keep checking everyday until they open up the first part of '09.

LAX-IAH-FLL (Continental)

LAX-SLC-FLL (Delta)

LAX-ATL-FLL (Delta and Airtran)

LAX-DFW-FLL (AA)

LAX-ORD-FLL (AA&UA)

LAX-PHX-FLL (US)

LAX-LAS-FLL (US)

LAX-DEN-FLL (UA)

I am sure I missed a couple, but those are the best off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...
There is no forever in airline business. But if forever in your mind means non-seasonal, yes, it is non-seasonal. The non-stop flights from FLL are gone because FLL is primarily a LEISURE market which does not make enough money to even cover the fixed costs now, let alone the variable costs.

However, there are 1-stop flights via DFW and ORD, at least 2 I can immediately think of.

MIA is a hub and a gateway (to South America, Central America and Caribbean), therefore the non-stop flights are status-quo.

By "forever" I meant "dropped from their schedule."

I have a very strong preference for nonstop flights, and if I can't get at least one-stop flights (same flight, no change of planes, no long layover), then I would likely cancel my plans. I realize that is not possible within that window of time between final payment and departure, but otherwise, I take air connections into account very seriously when I make cruise plans.

I have a very strong preference for nonstop flights, and if I can't get at least one-stop flights (same flight, no change of planes, no long layover), then I would likely cancel my plans. I realize that is not possible within that window of time between final payment and departure, but otherwise, I take air connections into account very seriously when I make cruise plans.

Plan on taking few trips then....point-to-point non-stops, especially involving leisure destinations, are becoming an endangered species.

By "forever" I meant "dropped from their schedule."

You most likely have to cancel your plan, unless you can lend the airlines many millions of bucks to have them restate the non-stop flights.

There is NO 1-stop flights that you do NOT need to change plane - they are all CONNECTION flights, meaning you fly into hub and then CHANGE plane - layover of a couple hours are common and actually is better than a layover of less than an hour, so you have less of a chance to miss connection should the first leg is slightly delayed - not an uncommon occurence these days and age.

flight choices suck right now. i had a great itinerary for Jan and of course AA changed it giving me at 9:20 departure from FLL. I called and changed it but now i have long layovers. NO notice from them either. just keep checking they change things daily.

Plan on taking few trips then....point-to-point non-stops, especially involving leisure destinations, are becoming an endangered species.

...within the US, true, but from SFO we can still fly nonstops to foreign destinations, to Hawaii, etc., you know, places where there isn't a HUB in-between. ;)

At some point, the airlines will learn how to have us make HUB connections from aircraft carriers, though, no doubt. :eek:

There is another option for the airlines: RAISE PRICES.

Won't that work?

I am all for it. Unfortunately the majority of flying public does not want to pay for what it takes to have decent flights. So this is the reality you must face.

I see you have started a thread in quest for non-stop flight, decent schedule, nice comfort, and at a "deal" price.

If convenience and comfort is important, and you do not mind to pay for it, I think NetJet would be a terrific choice.

BTW, you would NOT find better Transcon flight prices other than from MCO, FLL & MIA. FLL basically lose all its non-stop flights from UA & AA to West Coast primarily because it is a leisure market and people are NOT willing to pay a higher price.

But then I dont know what are your riding priority or priorities? To meet all your criteria, your best bet is a Private Jet Service - that is why I suggest NetJet.

I am all for it. Unfortunately the majority of flying public does not want to pay for what it takes to have decent flights. So this is the reality you must face.

I see you have started a thread in quest for non-stop flight, decent schedule, nice comfort, and at a "deal" price.....

That's not accurate. I wrote "price factors into it, too," but I don't expect to get a "deal."

The only time I used the word "deal" was in response to someone who said they got a deal and I asked for more information about the other aspects of that deal.

comfort, and at a "deal" price.

If convenience and comfort is important, and you do not mind to pay for it, I think NetJet would be a terrific choice.

BTW, you would NOT find better Transcon flight prices other than from MCO, FLL & MIA. FLL basically lose all its non-stop flights from UA & AA to West Coast primarily because it is a leisure market and people are NOT willing to pay a higher price.

But then I dont know what are your riding priority or priorities? To meet all your criteria, your best bet is a Private Jet Service - that is why I suggest NetJet.

I just Googled NetJet and as someone who does not accumulate enough air miles for Frequent Flyer status (note I mentioned I would not be using FF miles), I hardly think that "fractional ownership" would be appropriate for us, but thank you for the suggestion.

I just Googled NetJet and as someone who does not accumulate enough air miles for Frequent Flyer status (note I mentioned I would not be using FF miles), I hardly think that "fractional ownership" would be appropriate for us, but thank you for the suggestion.

What does FF status have to do with NetJets????

Fractional ownership is NOT for you. But Blue Star Jets, Private Charters, Marquis Jets (division of NetJets), etc. etc. can be purchased per flight. About $5000 per hour + food. $30,000 coast to coast. If you have a group of 6-8, cheaper than full fare first class on a commercial airline.

Back to your problem. The ONLY nonstop MIA/SFO is on AA. The Alaska flights are codeshares with AA. 757 plane

IF you want to have one short stop, you can fly MIA/LAX/SFO. Three flights per day on either 763 or 777 aircraft. The 777 flight is a three class plane. The 763's are two class planes with lie flat seats in business class. Be VERY careful booking first class out of MIA nonstop to either LAX or SFO. AA uses 757 on that route more than any other plane.

Why anyone would pay 5-10 times the economy price for meals and booze on a 757 flight is beyond me?? The seats are not special on a 757-just a few inches wider. They sure don't recline much and the legroom is only slightly more than in coach. And I am spoiled rotten-I fly first class 85-90% of the time by virtue of my AA status, a lot of it on 757 or MD80's. IF you buy the "instant upgrade" (Y-UP, K-UP fare) which is running $785.00pp + taxes on the 757 MIA/SFO, you get to choose your first class seat instantly.

If it was me, I would take the AA nonstop 763 out of MIA to LAX at 11:15AM. Connect at LAX on to SFO. And if I didn't feel like spending all the extra money for business class, I would still take the 11:15 out of MIA to LAX and pick seats in row 17. $1239.00pp, first/business class on 763, then an MD80 for the hour flight to SFO.

Archived