help with ICY STRAIT

widehunters3

Looking for some help with Icy Strait Port. I have already booked several excusions and running on limited funds. We will be whale watching in Juneau and Ziplining in Ketchican, Halibut fishing in Homer. We will be totally fine just walking around are there some trails in town? Are they MARKED? I read something about Alaska Dancers. Do we have to book a tour to see the dancers?

All suggestion welcomed.

Thank you

Looking for some help with Icy Strait Port. I have already booked several excusions and running on limited funds. We will be whale watching in Juneau and Ziplining in Ketchican, Halibut fishing in Homer. We will be totally fine just walking around are there some trails in town? Are they MARKED? I read something about Alaska Dancers. Do we have to book a tour to see the dancers?

All suggestion welcomed.

Thank you

The walking trail gives you a glimps of a real Alaska rainforest; well marked; and offers some really nice picture ops! Oh yes, the best part is that there's no cost! I also recommend the Tribal Dance and Cultural Legends performance. It's $38 and in my opinion worth the $'s! I would then walk into town and check out the waterfront. You really can enjoy Icy Strait/Hoonah and not spend a lot of money. On the other hand, a whale watch; kayaking tour; and a great fresh crab lunch in town, makes a great day!

Hope you enjoy this great port of call!

Alrighty, That Sounds Good. I Think My Parents Will Really Enjoy That Tour. Does This Need To Be Booked Through The Ship? (i'm Assuming That Is Does)

I Love Taking Pictures, So I'm Excited To Hear I Should Be Able To Get Some Good Shots.

Where Should We Look For The Walking Trail? Is It Easy To Find? I Know We Will Enjoy Combing The Beach... I Have My Fingers Crossed For Good Weather... We Will Have Our Raingear With Us!

Alrighty, That Sounds Good. I Think My Parents Will Really Enjoy That Tour. Does This Need To Be Booked Through The Ship? (i'm Assuming That Is Does)

I Love Taking Pictures, So I'm Excited To Hear I Should Be Able To Get Some Good Shots.

Where Should We Look For The Walking Trail? Is It Easy To Find? I Know We Will Enjoy Combing The Beach... I Have My Fingers Crossed For Good Weather... We Will Have Our Raingear With Us!

Yes, the Tribal Dance does need to be booked thru the cruise line. By the way, at the end, they ask for volunteers to take part in an interactive portion. I did, and as a result we were invited to see an area that not all get to see. I'm not sure if this is true of every performance, but I was really glad I volunteered!

The walking trail is behind the main buildings and it is well marked as I remember. Here's a link to a few of the pictures on this trail.

366999940Qtaqzv_th.jpg

At the end of the trail, you are at the waters' edge, so more photo ops! If you want to look at the rest of the pics, simply click on the picture; when webshots comes up, simply click next.

Hope this helps!

The walking trail is behind the main buildings and it is well marked as I remember. Here's a link to a few of the pictures on this trail.

At the end of the trail, you are at the waters' edge, so more photo ops! If you want to look at the rest of the pics, simply click on the picture; when webshots comes up, simply click next.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip, how long did the walk take you? Your pictures are beautiful!!

Thanks for the tip, how long did the walk take you? Your pictures are beautiful!!

It really isn't that long of a walk, however I just asked my husband how long...his reply: As long as you want it to take! Sorry I can't be more specific, however it's an enjoyable time!

In Icy Straight we went on the Celebrity cruise line's Remote Bush Bear Exploration excursion and we saw about 5 bears. We drove out to this area in an old school bus, and were led through the woods and down paths by an armed guard and tour guide. We stopped at a few landing points near water and saw about 5 bears coming out of the vegetation and into the water. This was a great day!

You could also walk into town. It is about a 1.5 mile walk in along the water front. Sometimes you see whale, seal, and always you see eagles! Can stop in town and have a little ice cream at Huna Tour Connection, the purple house in the middle of town and visit with some of the local people. and then you can take a $5 shuttle ride back if you don't feel up to the walk.

Archived