Airport Key West

Bases5

I was looking into doing a Dry Tortugas Flight. The tour is from 8-12. We dock at 7 am, I know that sometimes it takes a few minutes to debark.

I am not sure how long it takes to get from port B to the airport and I'm not sure how bad security is at Key West airport.

Do you think this is a pipe dream and foolish to try.

Has anybody had any experience with the airport or this excursion?

The airport is only a few miles away. Heck, the island is only 4 miles wide.

It is very small. For the Tortugas seaplane, I believe they shuttle you right to the plane. You do not go into the secure zone, or through the terminal.

You are cutting it close, in my opinion on the 8:00AM flight. There is another matter too. I don't know what date your cruise is going to arrive in Key West, but I just read at Keys News that two of the planes are grounded. One sank when it was being towed, but it was saved. The other hit something when leaving the Tortugas. It, too, is grounded for repairs. I don't know if these are the exact planes you would be flying and I don't know how long either one will take for repairs. Better check and be sure.

The airport is only a few miles away. Heck, the island is only 4 miles wide.

It is very small. For the Tortugas seaplane, I believe they shuttle you right to the plane. You do not go into the secure zone, or through the terminal.

Paul is correct, you do not go into the Key West Terminal but to a hangar next door. I would check with http://www.seaplanesofkeywest.com by phone or email ahead of time to see if this is possible.

It really is one of those excursions you wil never forget. I have done it twice over the years and am ready for a third trip.

Mike:)

Even though their web page will take reservations there are currenly no flights to the Tortugas. The smaller 5-seater sank, was recovered, but it is doubful it will ever fly again. The larger, 8- or 9-seater is under repairs.

If they begin to fly again they want you at the airport by 7:30 for an 8:00 or earlier departure. There is also a morning and afternoon half-day trip.

Pjk

I saw Peter of Seaplanes of Key West and he said that even though the official start date is July 7th they hope to be flying as soon as Monday the 1st. So, if you are interested I would give them a call.

Mike:)

Just a note for a any one else thinking about this trip from a ship.

I wrote to seaplane and ask them what they though about making this trip and here was there response.

I really appreciate there honesty

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately our schedule does not work with the cruise ships, they are not in port long enough. Our shortest trip is 4 hours. They depart at 8:00am, 10:00am, 12:00noon and 2:00pm. Check in is required 30 minutes prior to departure. It typically takes at least 1 hour to disembark and get a taxi to the airport. In theory the 8:00am trip is possible but would be very tight on time even if your ship docks on time. If you made a reservation and did not make it in time you would be charged in full for the seats. We do not recommend it.

Regards,

Peter

Seaplanes of Key West

Archived