Cruise ships aren't cruise ships any more...

lysolqn

Is there anyone out there besides DH and me who is not thrilled with the "can you top this?" mentality of the cruise lines as they continue to build mega-ships and mega-mega-ships that are more like Las Vegas theme hotels than they are cruise ships? Thousands of passengers, skating rinks, boxing rings, real grass lawns, ice bars, indoor spaces made to look like outdoor spaces, outdoor spaces made to look like indoor spaces... I know cruise lines take great pride in building floating cities filled with "firsts" at sea designed to out do the competition, but it appears that more and more ships are being designed to look and feel like anything but cruise ships - which is what they're supposed to be, no?

Is there anyone out there besides DH and me who is not thrilled with the "can you top this?" mentality of the cruise lines as they continue to build mega-ships and mega-mega-ships that are more like Las Vegas theme hotels than they are cruise ships? Thousands of passengers, skating rinks, boxing rings, real grass lawns, ice bars, indoor spaces made to look like outdoor spaces, outdoor spaces made to look like indoor spaces... I know cruise lines take great pride in building floating cities filled with "firsts" at sea designed to out do the competition, but it appears that more and more ships are being designed to look and feel like anything but cruise ships - which is what they're supposed to be, no?

You have lots and lots of company...including "yours truely" here. If you scroll around these boards, you'll see them.

I have absolutely no interest in these behemoths....wouldn't ever consider a cruise on one of them. I love to cruise..... For me, the experience is the sea, some good food well prepared and served, an attentive staff, a quiet balcony and a good book....and leave me alone, please.

I believe these monstrosities will be marketed to 1st time cruisers and those who have only cruised lately and only a few times.

Veteran cruisers aren't looking for Disneyland, Las Vegas or shopping malls......else we'd pay to go to those places. So many new cruisers have no experience at what cruising is about.

Oh well, different strokes, I suppose. I'll stick to the smaller ships where you are expected to make your own private experience - and where you are left to your own desire and comforts.

No arguements from me.

We have been on a couple of the "floating cities" and manage to make them work for us. After all, we are not forced to participate in all the onboard stuff.

But we are looking into some of the smaller ships for our next adventure to get back to what makes cruising a unique experience.

Another lover of the smaller ships. My preference is the Coral/Island Princess ships(1950 passengers). I have been on the diamond/Sapphire(2500) and they are fine but feels just too big for me. I truly plan in not going on the behemouths if i can help it.

marilyn

I think it's great that they are adding more activities and ammenities. No one is forcing you do go on the slides, or zip lines, or rock climbing....so why whine about something you are not forced to do anyway.

They're not taking away deck chairs, quiet areas or dining rooms. They're adding new stuff that you can use if you want, and don't have to use if you don't want.

How can you enjoy a cruise if you are busy whining about all the stuff there is to do?

I enjoy the sea days, so the activities on board could be important but I really prefer to read a good book,, people watch by the pool and just plain relax. The big ships do not interest me. My only concern is that the smaller ships will eventually be eliminated or the itineraries will be of limited choice. I hope the cruise lines will continue to offer a variety of experiences so that there is something for everyone.:(

I'm not very interested in the ginormus ships like that, but the more folks that go on the really big ships, the more room for me on the 'regular' size ships- I prefer the 70-90, grt ships.

I think it's great that they are adding more activities and ammenities. No one is forcing you do go on the slides, or zip lines, or rock climbing....so why whine about something you are not forced to do anyway.

They're not taking away deck chairs, quiet areas or dining rooms. They're adding new stuff that you can use if you want, and don't have to use if you don't want.

How can you enjoy a cruise if you are busy whining about all the stuff there is to do?

Who the heck is whining? It's just an opinion question, so quit YOUR whining - no one's forcing YOU to participate in the thread! ;)

Now. As to the topic at hand....count me among the monumentally UNinterested in the mega ships. Won't go - won't whine about it, either ;) .

When we want to ice skate, we go down the street to the rink. When we want to go to the park, well, we go to the park. I like to FEEL like I'm on a ship and I'm not interested in the ships that work overtime to remove that ambiance.

We loved the Rhapsody. I thought it was a perfect size - wherever it fits in the category of ship sizes. It was big enough that there were lots of things to do, but small enough that I had no trouble locating my kids when I wanted to, or even running into them throughout the day.

I'm even interested in one of those Windjammer cruises. THAT sounds like a total blast!

You are missing the point. Many of us will not be on those ships complaining because we are not interested in cruising them.

So, you need not worry-because I will not be on your cruise. My gripe is why should I pay for things I have no interest in doing. I will stick to smaller ships.

Both ships I've sailed are what I would consider smaller. The NCL Spirit and the CCL Inspiration. Next is the CCL Miracle, still small compared to what's out there. I've liked these sizes so far but I would certainly give one of the new "monsters" a try. Knowing myself, and I think after trying a giant, I'd want to stick to the smaller ships.

You have lots and lots of company...including "yours truely" here. If you scroll around these boards' date=' you'll see them.

I have absolutely no interest in these behemoths....wouldn't ever consider a cruise on one of them. I love to cruise..... For me, the experience is the sea, some good food well prepared and served, an attentive staff, a quiet balcony and a good book....and leave me alone, please.

I believe these monstrosities will be marketed to 1st time cruisers and those who have only cruised lately and only a few times.

Veteran cruisers aren't looking for Disneyland, Las Vegas or shopping malls......else we'd pay to go to those places. So many new cruisers have no experience at what cruising is about.

Oh well, different strokes, I suppose. I'll stick to the smaller ships where you are expected to make your own private experience - and where you are left to your own desire and comforts.[/quote']

Add me to the list! I hate the look of the new Oasis of the Seas on RCCL's site and the new F3 on NCL's site. Both look absolutely ridiculous. Like others have said... it looks like a Las Vegas hotel instead of cruis ship.

My TA is also very much against them. She calls them "Small Cities." Who wants to cruise with 5000+ people!!!

To me 1000-2500 is an adequate size ship.... not so big as you are overwhelmed and crowded but also large enough for some extras.

My fear is that in order to fill the Mega ships, they will begin to mothball or "retire" the smaller ships.

NCL sent us a brochure on the F3 cabins just this week. We have been showing it around to people. We are getting more laughs out of the design of the rooms than oohs and aaahhs. People think the brochure is a joke and made up. (besides, who wants the toilet room on one side of the cabin and the shower on the other....)

a merry go round on a ship?? It's a cruise... not a carnival!

Toilet and shower on different sides of the cabin?? It's a cruise, not a camping trip....

It's not the amenities that turn me off on the ships.... its the size of the crowd that will be on board. 5000 people on one ship is just stupid.

Let's face it....those that want the real experience of boating will do bareboat charters. They're their own crew, chefs and entertainers. No ice skating, no mega parties, or rock climbing. Just you, the boat, and mother nature.

When people decide to book a cruise, rather than a bareboat charter, they want to be entertained. They want to be catered to. They want to have activities.

I love going out on the boat with just my friends. I also like the large cruise ships. But I know enough not to confuse the two experiences.

while there are many out there that are not drawn in by the newer ships that have more and more features all the time it is apparantly popular because many of the ships still sail full and the cruise lines keep building them so I would guess they are still a very profitable investment...there are still many other selections out there for those that dont enjoy this type of newer ship

Another lover of the smaller ships. My preference is the Coral/Island Princess ships(1950 passengers). I have been on the diamond/Sapphire(2500) and they are fine but feels just too big for me. I truly plan in not going on the behemouths if i can help it.

marilyn

I do agaree.. I think the Coral/Island is the perfect crusie ship.

Let's face it....those that want the real experience of boating will do bareboat charters. They're their own crew, chefs and entertainers. No ice skating, no mega parties, or rock climbing. Just you, the boat, and mother nature.

When people decide to book a cruise, rather than a bareboat charter, they want to be entertained. They want to be catered to. They want to have activities.

But I know enough not to confuse the two experiences.

There's a whole world of cruising in between the two extremes of just "boating" and being entertained to the point of sensory overload! I will avoid the sensory overload option every time! I don't ever want to get off a cruise ship and know that I never even saw it all!

Most cruisers don't seem to realize that those enormous ships have a very important function in the grand scheme of cruising today - MONEY.

The smallest cruise ship that can make a profit in today's market carries about 2,200 passengers. Anything smaller than that is losing monet EVERY cruise.

I worked for Seabourn for many years. Even with their pricing, they have never made a profit in the company's history. The large collective profit made by the fleet of Carnival Corp mega-ships allows Seabourn to continue operating at a loss.

Holland America operates 13 ships; the 8 smallest ones are also losing money. It is only thanks to the 5 larger ones that HAL can afford to continue operating the smaller ones.

You should thank those mega-ship designers every day for allowing you the chance to sail on smaller ships.

The OP and those who agree (which includes myself), are not the "target market" for these ships. The industry has to reach a younger average aged passenger, and family while holding the price down to keep it affordable. If they fail to attract a younger average age, over time the industry would contract. Cruising would become "Something your parents or grandparents did." I think the growth in the cruise industry over the past 10 years is directly attributable to the launch of larger, glitzier ships. It's basic basic marketing. Expand your customer base by diversifying your product offering. Attract new customers from land base all-inclusives, by making the ship a destination of its own. JMHO

Amen!!!!!!

Yes - count DH and I in too.

Right now we too are looking at cruise lines offering smaller ships and want to stay away from floating mega resort type ships.

We both live crazy 5 day work weeks and for us a cruise is to escape hustle and bustle, crowds and craziness of the usual working week. The mega ships being launched just mean one thing to us line-ups, crowded ports and floating cities.

Still, each to their own.

...........Expand your customer base by diversifying your product offering. Attract new customers from land base all-inclusives, by making the ship a destination of its own. JMHO

The cruise lines are just following the successful formula Las Vegas developed and executed. ;) :D "Build them bigger and glitzier"

The cruise lines are just following the successful formula Las Vegas developed and executed. ;) :D "Build them bigger and glitzier"

That may be the case, but now LV is tanking. I cannot tell you the number of "come ons" I get from a lot of the hotels in LV. Bigger and glitzier is not always better. With the economy the way it is, I wonder how many ships of all sizes will be sailing half full in the near future?

Since I live in a town of less then 2100 people, there's no way I want to be on a cruise ship that has a larger population than my town.

Archived