Which Tower Is Best At Hilton Hawaiian Village & Why

Donna6369

I was on tripadvisor few days ago checking out all the various hotels and was able to view all of the downloaded photos that people sent in of various hotel pictures. I can attest that hawaiian hotel will have several pics of location of they're stay from different angles, not too mention general hawaii vacation pics.

Hello...

I think that you'll find that the views from the Rainbow Tower are the best. Ocean view looking toward Diamond Head provides spectacular views of all of Waikiki and Diamond Head. The other side of this tower provides views of a small lagoon, yacht harbor and glorious sunsets. The other tower has some nice Diamond Head views, but it's not a high rise so the perspective is different.

If you go to the hotel web site you'll see that the Rainbow Tower protrudes out further toward the ocean. Having said that, I may be the only person on this board who really doesn't like the HHV. On-line photo's of it never show the number of people who actually populate the grounds. Although there are a lot of amenities, the place feels much like Disneyland to me with crowds, lines and just too much going on. I think it's a great place for kids and I always take my nephew to see the ponds and get ice cream when I'm in Waikiki, but for me it's a better place to visit and then leave.

Although I've been to Hawaii multiple times (a couple times a year for 40 years) I've only stayed at the HHV once for a business conference. I was at the top of the Rainbow Tower with a great room and view, but waited at least 20 minutes each time I went to the elevator bank in order to get to lobby or beach level.

I think the hotel would be great for kids, but for adults who want peace and quiet, there are other more suitable hotels.

No one needs to defend the hotel to me. I know that it is well loved. It just may not be for everyone. Having said that, you probably won't find a better view than one from the Rainbow Tower.

Aloha...

murphysmum;)

Wondering if anyone has a favorite tower at Hilton Hawaiian Village and if so why?

I am considering either the Rainbow or Kalia any feedback on either would be appreciated.

The Rainbow Tower is older but right on beach with spectacular views. The Kalia tower is much newer. I believe it went up less than 10 years ago.

Contrary to the Kalia tower being newer do a google search for "Kalia Hilton Mold"

Those are not opinions, straight up facts. Things are probably fixed by now but one would think for a brand new tower that these problems wouldnt exist. Also during the low occupancy season, certain floors in the Kalia Tower are shut down and not even used.

I booked an ocean front room in the Rainbow Tower and I am hoping I will get a corner view...

I hope I made the right decision.. Like I said it took me 40 years to get there so I will stay at The Hilton Hawaiin for 5 days after that I will be On POA for a week.... 333 Days to go but who's counting? ;)

murphysmum:

Having said that, I may be the only person on this board who really doesn't like the HHV. On-line photo's of it never show the number of people who actually populate the grounds. Although there are a lot of amenities, the place feels much like Disneyland to me with crowds, lines and just too much going on. I think it's a great place for kids and I always take my nephew to see the ponds and get ice cream when I'm in Waikiki, but for me it's a better place to visit and then leave.

You are not alone. While we love to visit (as in wander through, have a drink or a bite, enjoy the grounds during quiet times, see the fireworks), we are not fans of the HHV for a stay. For the same reasons you mention: It's just too much hustle and bustle and Disney-like for our tastes. I agree that it's great for kids and for those who enjoy that atmosphere, but it doesn't suit us.

beachchick

Hi...

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my feelings about the HHV. I've seen your posts many times and I really enjoy the spot on advice you give to travelers.

Another lover of Hawaii....

Aloha...

murphysmum (Janed);)

murphysmum:

You are not alone. While we love to visit (as in wander through, have a drink or a bite, enjoy the grounds during quiet times, see the fireworks), we are not fans of the HHV for a stay. For the same reasons you mention: It's just too much hustle and bustle and Disney-like for our tastes. I agree that it's great for kids and for those who enjoy that atmosphere, but it doesn't suit us.

beachchick

Thanks for the information. I have booked the HHV for our pre-cruise stay in April. My husband uses a wheelchair, and from all my research, this hotel filled the bill for all our accessible needs. Would you have another hotel to recommend that would be calmer in nature, but as accessible? I love reading your posts beachchick - I've saved many of them for when we get to paradise.

Hi...

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my feelings about the HHV. I've seen your posts many times and I really enjoy the spot on advice you give to travelers.

Another lover of Hawaii....

Aloha...

murphysmum (Janed);)

Lovely! Another one of "us" on the forum (that would be Hawaii enthusiasts who also enjoy cruising).:D Mahalo for your nice compliment. Visiting here helps give me a "fix" when we're between visits to the islands. In fact, the past few months both my DH and I have been yearning...Alas, the budget and our health simply won't allow for a trip right now. We're in the vague stages of planning though: Maui, of course, and the Kona/Kohala coast of the BI because we really haven't explored thoroughly and our only multi-day stay in Kona happened to coincide with the first big Kona storm of that season (great time anyway, but not a whole lot of water or beach time).

Thanks for the information. I have booked the HHV for our pre-cruise stay in April. My husband uses a wheelchair, and from all my research, this hotel filled the bill for all our accessible needs. Would you have another hotel to recommend that would be calmer in nature, but as accessible? I love reading your posts beachchick - I've saved many of them for when we get to paradise.

You are so sweet.:) I'm so happy to hear that I can help you plan a wonderful trip.

Now, for a couple of questions: What type of hotel do you prefer and are there any specific amenities you like? For our money, you can't beat the Royal Hawaiian or Moana Surfrider as the grand ladies of Waikiki. The atmosphere is usually more laid back and relaxing. Now, it's true that the RH isn't exactly sedate, what with being the Pink Palace of the Pacific, but she is special. The pool is tiny and I don't recall it being WC accessible. Regardless, I seem to recall that the entire hotel will be closed for extensive renovation. (Guess that means DH and I will have to visit again some time. Oh, boo-hoo for us.:p We are not particularly fond of staying in Waikiki and have only stayed at the RH and a no-longer-there low-rise called the Waikikian.) We've wandered through the Surfrider numerous times and have eaten at the casual restaurant. They recently completed renovations, so she's probably even nicer now. The pool at the Surfrider is on the small side (neither have the big old pool extravaganza like the HHV does), but is very nice. I believe a beachwalk has been added in the past year or so. We love both for a real Waikiki experience.

I honestly don't know how accessible either are, but I can tell you that I remember ramps (both in and out) and there are elevators, etc. I'm almost positive that both have accessible rooms available. It's a wonderful area of the beach too.

If you want to be really away from the busy part of the beach, you might consider the W Hotel down at the south end of Kalakaua (that's the main street that runs along the edge of the beach) and is down by Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park. We'd definitiely consider that if the price was right and if we didn't have to stay in a high rise. (I simply can't stay on an uppper floor--What a wimp.) Everything I've read about it seems pretty positive, and it's definitely far from the madding crowd (oh Lord, I am showing my age). You have Kuhio beach close by and Sans Souci beach fronting the hotel. I don't know about accessibility though.

Hope those give you a place to start.

beachchick

We stayed in the Tapa Tower room 3433 for 8 nights. Loved just about everything at the HHV. If you like alot of action this is the place for you.

Wow! What a view. I have booked a partial ocean view in the Tapa Tower. Was this ocean view, or partial?

TreasureQuest & Kcarp

What made you choose Tapa tower? I am just wondering if I should consider Tapa over Rainbow.

Kcarp you sure did get a great view. I have an oceanfront room booked and requested if possible to get a corner unit as they have 2 balconies and from what I have been told a considered prime locations. They said they can only put in a request and I am hoping I will get it.

Thanks.

We were there for a convention. We didn’t get to pick the tower or the room because it was already assigned to us. I don’t remember if it was a full or partial view. But the view was outstanding. If I would ever go back, I would go for the Rainbow Tower ocean view.

I have an oceanfront room booked and requested if possible to get a corner unit as they have 2 balconies and from what I have been told a considered prime locations.

If I was you, I would shoot for that location. It really can't be beat. I remember laying on the beach looking up at that tower thinking to myself; I wish our room was there. Have a great trip.

Kcarp,

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I have never been to Hawaii and I want to make sure I make the right decisions and sounds like the Rainbow tower ocean front room will be best for me. I will stay for 5 nights after that I will be on POA for 7 more nights...

I was originally going to stay at the Aqua Palms, but decided I may never get back so I should spend the extra $$$$ and be right on the water afterall this is my "Dream Vacation".

You are so sweet.:) I'm so happy to hear that I can help you plan a wonderful trip.

Now, for a couple of questions: What type of hotel do you prefer and are there any specific amenities you like? For our money, you can't beat the Royal Hawaiian or Moana Surfrider as the grand ladies of Waikiki. The atmosphere is usually more laid back and relaxing. Now, it's true that the RH isn't exactly sedate, what with being the Pink Palace of the Pacific, but she is special. The pool is tiny and I don't recall it being WC accessible. Regardless, I seem to recall that the entire hotel will be closed for extensive renovation. (Guess that means DH and I will have to visit again some time. Oh, boo-hoo for us.:p We are not particularly fond of staying in Waikiki and have only stayed at the RH and a no-longer-there low-rise called the Waikikian.) We've wandered through the Surfrider numerous times and have eaten at the casual restaurant. They recently completed renovations, so she's probably even nicer now. The pool at the Surfrider is on the small side (neither have the big old pool extravaganza like the HHV does), but is very nice. I believe a beachwalk has been added in the past year or so. We love both for a real Waikiki experience.

I honestly don't know how accessible either are, but I can tell you that I remember ramps (both in and out) and there are elevators, etc. I'm almost positive that both have accessible rooms available. It's a wonderful area of the beach too.

If you want to be really away from the busy part of the beach, you might consider the W Hotel down at the south end of Kalakaua (that's the main street that runs along the edge of the beach) and is down by Diamond Head and Kapiolani Park. We'd definitiely consider that if the price was right and if we didn't have to stay in a high rise. (I simply can't stay on an uppper floor--What a wimp.) Everything I've read about it seems pretty positive, and it's definitely far from the madding crowd (oh Lord, I am showing my age). You have Kuhio beach close by and Sans Souci beach fronting the hotel. I don't know about accessibility though.

Hope those give you a place to start.

beachchick

Thanks Beachchick.......we are layed back folks who like to wander and poke around. we plan on spending our first three days at the HHV just laying on the beach, eating, drinking and chilling out. We'll probably use the motorized scooter to check out other hotels, and wander around a bit. Then we have a car rented and plan to tour the east/west/north coasts of Oahu for three days before we board our ship. When I called the HHV they recommended the Diamond Head Tower because it was easily accessible for our motorized scooter. DH loves to get around, but he does use the scooter or a manual chair. I have no idea if this is a good tower or not. We did reserve a ocean view room. What do you think? My DH says it sounds fine to him, since he will be on the beach in Waikiki.

Thanks Beachchick.......we are layed back folks who like to wander and poke around. we plan on spending our first three days at the HHV just laying on the beach, eating, drinking and chilling out. We'll probably use the motorized scooter to check out other hotels, and wander around a bit. Then we have a car rented and plan to tour the east/west/north coasts of Oahu for three days before we board our ship. When I called the HHV they recommended the Diamond Head Tower because it was easily accessible for our motorized scooter. DH loves to get around, but he does use the scooter or a manual chair. I have no idea if this is a good tower or not. We did reserve a ocean view room. What do you think? My DH says it sounds fine to him, since he will be on the beach in Waikiki.

I honestly don't know which tower is best. I don't even know which is which. We've only gone to HHV for drinks, meals, entertainment, but have never stayed there. If we ever were to stay there (not happening--the whole high rise thing), we'd want the Ali'i Tower for the concierge service and the private pool for Ali'i guests only. Perhaps your DH has the right idea: Beach view, great hotel, Waikiki beach...Yep, that would work for me.

beachchick

We are on POA now but stayed 2 days pre cruise in the Ali tower. Although it cost a little more we used a AAA rate and it was worth it. We had a private pool on the second floor and it had wonderful chairs with deep cushions and soft chair covers and towels. It was much more quiet than the regular pool and had sun or shade all day. There is also snacks from 5pm to I think 7pm on the pool deck. I saw veggies, crackers and other snacks. HHV is a very busy and populated hotel but the 2nd floor pool was a nice oasis. We also did not have to stand in a very long line for check in. We were able to go directly to the Ali tower and check in. There was no line at all.

Archived