friends of Bill W. on the Gem?

bingobeach

I've cruised twice with NCL. Both times there was an entry on the Dailies, "Friends of Bill W Meet".

Who is this person?

More importantly, how do I become his "friend"? JK

Bill W. is the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. Most cruise ships have meetings on board for people who belong to AA and other recovery groups.

Bill W. is the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. Most cruise ships have meetings on board for people who belong to AA and other recovery groups.

Wow, I always wondered who Bill W was and why he had meetings on every cruise I went on! I guess I am naive.

On land it is usually possible to avoid drunks and heavy drinking situations with just a little effort. On a ship, drinks are pushed around the clock, and some cruisers come away with no more memories than who the good bartenders were. I suspect there are some people who could not go on a cruise ship at all were it not for the meetings to help them through situations which can be very uncomfortable or downright unhealthy.

Wow, I always wondered who Bill W was and why he had meetings on every cruise I went on! I guess I am naive.

Nope, not naive at all. The reason it's printed in the dailies as 'Friends of Bill W.' is to keep it anonymous. People who need a meeting know what it is and they're really the only ones who need to know.

As for 'Friends of Dorothy'... I'm pretty sure the 'Dorothy' in question is Dorothy Gale from the Wizard of Oz. Again... if you don't know what the meeting is about, chances are you're not a potential attendee. :)

I have found with my involvement over the past 2 years, that it is a very spiritual support group where experiences, etc. are shared...the Chapel is the ideal meeting place, on my last cruise last year on Holland American it was in the cigar smokers' lounge...hopeless...we were able to move it to another venue after a few days...it's not like we HAVE to have a meeting, but the people we meet are sure interesting and who does not need some spirituality in their lives to show their gratitude for their good fortune for both being able to cruise and being able to live addiction free...with the help of your higher power?

Archived