Advice needed - Amazon River Cruise

cathi

Please can anybody tell me more about Princess's cruise from FLL to Manuas(sp?)???? Saw this itin and it's one of the most interesting we've seen. Really would love to do this cruise but can't find anything on these message boards about this particular cruise. Anybody been?? All info most appreciated!!!

Thanks

Cathi

We took this cruise about 3 years ago on the Royal Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale. They used World Airway charter flight and the plane had 11 seats across, but the service was good and also the food was o.k. Being excited and at the start of the trip, the plane trip didn't really bother us. They had 2 charter flights and the 1st one left real early and we were lucky and got on the second flight. They put us up at a Mariott Hotel which was a few miles from Ft. Lauderdale and wasn't much around the Hotel, but were there only one night. The cruise was excellent and enjoyed getting into the jungle and seeing how the people live on the Amazon. Didn't talk to anyone who didn't enjoy the cruise. Hope you enjoy if you decide to go. You will have to have a yellow fever shot and also a visa. Can't get the visa until you send in proof of the shot. The shots are expensive and where we live they only give them twice a month. We took some other shots, but can't remember which ones they were. The yellow fever shot is good for 10 years. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Don

Thanks Don - I knew about the yellow fever shot 'cause we had them done for our trip to Peru last year. Want to do this trip before we have to get them again. As you say they are expensive. Weren't you guys on the Infinity last March from Chile to Florida? We are just trying to finish off the last part of SA. Did around the Horn and the west coast so there's only the Amazon and the big bulge to go. Did you guys spend any time in Manuas at the end of the cruise or is this what they use the charter for? If we can we would like to find a tour company that would take us even further up the Amazon after the cruise.

Thanks again

Cathi

Cathi,

We were on the cruise in March from Chile to Ft. Lauderdale. Currently booked on Feb. 13th cruise from Buenos Aires to Chile on the Infinity. That will take care of SA for us. We will have been in 85 countries after this next trip and due to age, don't know how many more we will be taking. Have enjoyed all of them. Have never really had a bad trip. We got on the ship the day that we arrived in Manaus, but did take a tour of the city. Are you on the Royal Princess. I really like that ship and it really rides well on the open seas. I remember you posting prior to the cruise in March and attended the CC party, but didn't seem to meet that many people. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them if I can. Have a good day.

Don

I know that you are a travel agent, but I found this company that have 3,4,and 6 day cruises out of Manaus that look interesting. They are certainly price well and thought I would pass it on to you. I didn't realize that your cruise would start in Ft. Lauderdale where we flew down and ended up in Ft. Lauderdale. The web site is: http://www.brol.com/amazon_cruise.asp

Have a good week.

Don

Thanks so much, Don! this is exactly what we are looking for. I will certainly keep it in mind as we do the planning. You are right - it is very well priced. You will enjoy that cruise in Feb. We did that itin several years ago and loved it. I guess what appealed is that it is so different. Make sure you get to Puento Tomba. It's a penguin reserve that is amazing. There must have been a million penguins from really young to really old! The only disappointment was that these penguins don't like cold!! They summer in Brazil! And if you're interested the best shopping was in Puerto Montt. Great market right near where the port is. Picked up sheepskin rugs, alpaca sweaters, etc. at really cheap prices if you're willing to bargain.

Thanks again. Have fun.

Cathi

Archived