Jewel of the Sea Scheduling specialty restaurants

We are going on the Jewel 10/11/08 7 night NE/Canada cruise. It will be our first RCCI cruise and we would like to try Portifinos and Chops.

Does anyone know what the main dining room menus are for each night or special events in the dining room that we would not want to miss?

Sandra

We are going on the Jewel 10/11/08 7 night NE/Canada cruise. It will be our first RCCI cruise and we would like to try Portifinos and Chops.

Does anyone know what the main dining room menus are for each night or special events in the dining room that we would not want to miss?

Sandra

Hi Sandra, since every cruise may be a bit different from the last, here's what we do. When you get to your cabin, a copy of the daily Compass will be on your bed. On the back will be a high level listing of the events of the cruise, listed by day. Based on that, we then make our reservations for the specialty restaurants.

In many past instances, passengers were disappointed when they found that the schedule of activities had changed after they had made their reservations. I wouldn't want that to happen to you.... ;)

Hi Sandra, since every cruise may be a bit different from the last, here's what we do. When you get to your cabin, a copy of the daily Compass will be on your bed. On the back will be a high level listing of the events of the cruise, listed by day. Based on that, we then make our reservations for the specialty restaurants.

In many past instances, passengers were disappointed when they found that the schedule of activities had changed after they had made their reservations. I wouldn't want that to happen to you.... ;)

THank you. We are concerned that if we don't book the dinner reservations for Chops and Portifino we won't be able to get them once on board. Have you had trouble getting reservations when you've waited until after boarding?

THank you. We are concerned that if we don't book the dinner reservations for Chops and Portifino we won't be able to get them once on board. Have you had trouble getting reservations when you've waited until after boarding?

We try to book specialty restaurants the day we board, but we have not had a problem making reservations in the middle of the cruise. By that point there are usually only early and late times (5:30pm or 9pm and later) but that is fine for us.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. We were on a cruise on the Jewel in January of last year and never ate at either restaurant as they were booked when we tried making reservations. We were wait listed the entire time and never got in. With online booking, I can't see it getting any better.

With the newness of the online booking of the specialty restaurants I don't know what your experience will be if you wait until you get onboard, but perhaps you should make reservations online. When you board the ship, go to the restaurants and check out the main dining room menus (the restaurant manager will have copies) and if you will be disappointed to miss what is being served in the main dining room on those nights, see if you can change your reservations. If you can, that is fine; if not you will just have to decide which is more important to you - the menu in the dining room, or the menu in Chops or Portofino. You can usually cancel your specialty restaurant menus up to 24 hours in advance. Life is full of choices and this may be an occasion when you have to make a difficult choice. :)

As long as you're fairly flexible with your day/time choices, you'll be able to get reservations at either or both specialty restaurants. Only a small fraction of the ship's passengers will actually utilize these restauarants. There's no great rush!

We like to book the specialty resturants for the formal nights (IF we're not traveling with a group of friends) you're dressed for a specail evening... may as well go have a specialty dinner as well. :-) Just be careful what TIME you book so you do not miss all the Free Events that The Captain has planned. ;-)

We like to book the specialty resturants for the formal nights (IF we're not traveling with a group of friends) you're dressed for a specail evening... may as well go have a specialty dinner as well. :-) Just be careful what TIME you book so you do not miss all the Free Events that The Captain has planned. ;-)

Hi Renie - long time no see.:D

I just listened to Vicki Freed's telephone conference call and when questioned about the procedure for booking specialty restaurant reservations on-line, she reassured the questioner that, just as they do with shore excursions, they will hold back a certain amount of reservations so that people can still have a chance of making reservations once they board the ship.

Ahoy Bill~

I can see your smile as I write my repsonse. :-)

Yes, just like the shore excursions...... RCCL does not 'assume' that everyone has a computer and they hold out some for those who can only book ON-board.

I think that is very fair.

I hope all is well with you guys! You must be getting ready for the Boston Repo on the JOS!!!!??? Where we first met through Cruise Critic!

Renie Raider

Ahoy Bill~

I can see your smile as I write my repsonse. :-)

Yes, just like the shore excursions...... RCCL does not 'assume' that everyone has a computer and they hold out some for those who can only book ON-board.

I think that is very fair.

I hope all is well with you guys! You must be getting ready for the Boston Repo on the JOS!!!!??? Where we first met through Cruise Critic!

Renie Raider

Actually we are first getting ready for the JOS TA from Harwich to Boston. Rita is on the Sovereign this weekend with two of her girlfriends and will be home tomorrow evening.:)

Archived