RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

When I need to go see the BELL, it's an emergency! :)

We always ask permission before going there. Captain (s) has waved to us from the Bridge when he has seen us out there. We only go when ship is tied up and when we've been told it is okay. Most usually we go as we are readying to sail away from a port. Just before the lines are let go.

I can't go to any HAL ship and not go see (and get a photo at ) the beautiful BELL> :)

Here's a tip to save some connect time by reading threads off-line when using your own laptop: once you've brought up a thread, go to the "Thread Tools" and click Show Printable Version. Then do a Save As. After you've done that for several threads, then disconnect and go read them all off-line. :D

Since this is in Greg's thread I'll point out that he's the one that taught me that trick! :D And thanks!

JOHN, help l. I find show printable version, but no save as button. Where would that be? Thanks in advance for all your technical help, always.

But aren't those doors marked Emergency Exit Only?

Yup. Those are the doors. I use 'em every time I'm trying to get out there. :D

Those times would be scenic cruising, of course. On the Antarctic cruise the instructions had to do with the outside route---no info was given on this easy, direct, no stairs, easy to get to a restroom, route. I don't do stairs if I can avoid them, so I always go through the show lounge.

Here's a tip to save some connect time by reading threads off-line when using your own laptop:

Sadly, that's no help to me as I don't bring a laptop. I use the ship's computers.

JOHN, help l. I find show printable version, but no save as button. Where would that be? Thanks in advance for all your technical help, always.

I'm not John, obviously :)......

Click File in your tool bar.

(This is really funny when this computer idiot is giving advice. :D )

I'm not John, obviously :)......

Thanks, sail. I'll try it again. Actually, I looked for file which is where I always save things and couldn't find it.

And I truly understand your emergency need to see the bell. I think I've begun to feel it too.

Correct!

Hey, we were all computer idiots once! This is a sign that you're making progress!! :D :D

I hope you all have wonderful and safe travel. However you decide to post I will devour every word! Greg, you don't know us but we really enjoy all your posts and pictures. Have a great vacation!

Kim & Tommy

Rev. . . .

I look forward to your preview of Eurodam before we board on 7/15. I know it takes time and energy (perhaps easier than writing a sermon, though) but it is very much appreciated by an ever-widening group of readers. I thought I read awhile back that you might have some "duties," while on board. Are you really on vacation or will you have services? We will need some special dispensation since this $$$ is going to HA and not the building fund:(

Murphy's Law should have an airplane corollary: No matter where you sit on an airplane, you will have someone in front of you who put's their chair back the instant they sit down and doesn't return it to the full-upright position until it's time to disembark the plane (ignoring flight attendant directions to put them forward for takeoffs and landings and when they eat). Yes, that happened to me again this flight. Thankfully, I was able to sleep through about half the inconvenience, so in the end it wasn't that bad. More annoying (this is for JVrhovac), this same person boarded early, had 4 pieces of carry on luggage, and used my overhead compartment for his two extra pieces. This meant I had to search out an unused place. And, the coup de grac is that -- yes -- there was a screaming baby behind me.

At any rate ... aside from this, the flight was a mostly uneventful 9 and a half hours. They offered us a choice of rubber-chicken or mushy Lasagna ... I chicken out on the chicken and chose the imitation Lasagna ... Executive Chef Rudi Sodamin would not have approved. With the screen about 4 inches from my nose, I watched one of the inflight movies (Casablanca), and I listened to part of a book on my iPod until I fell asleep. I woke up in time to sip some coffee and eat a bit of a hot croissant and then we landed.

Unlike Brian's tale, we found London Heathrow to be actually quite nice. Terminal 3 was clearly a dump, but the process for transfer from 3 to 5 was efficient and easy to follow. We quickly made our way down to the Heathrow Express and got on a bus that took us to Terminal 5. Here we went through ticketing and got a new boarding pass, then we went up and through security. We then had several hours to sit and relax before our flight from London to Amsterdam. It was a joy spending this time with BillS, JimH, and their DWs. They were on a flight that departed an hour before ours, but soon we followed for an uneventful 45 minute flight to Amsterdam. Sadly, upon lading in Amsterdam we had to taxi for about 20 minutes to get to the terminal ... we thought we were going to have to drive to Rotterdam in the plane!!!!! :D There was a HAL executive on our flight, and some of us Eurodam passenger gave thought to cornering him, but we were good and didn't bother him (don't believe everything JimH says!). ;)

Passport control was quick, and so was picking up our luggage. From there we left the security area and were intercepted by BillS and JimH, who were waiting for us. We all piled into a van and made our way to Rotterdam.

The NH Atlanta is a lovely European Hotel; while clean, it is also very much sub-standard by US expectations. Our room is on the Mezzanine level, and there is no elevator to access it, so we had to climb 2 flights of stairs, the marble steps covered with a lovely runner rug. Those with Physical challenges should take note! Those with breathing issues should also note: there is no AC, and our room is on two levels (you enter on one floor, climb a winding flight up steps to the second floor, and here you find the beds, a desk, TV, chairs ... and the hotel room's one redeeming factor: an AMAZING bathroom with a tub large enough for someone like me, who is six feet tall, to lay down and and completely submerge! YUMMY! I was in that tub very quickly and enjoying a few minutes of utter relaxation. I came out feeling (mostly) human again.

After an hour's rest and re-freshening, BillS, JimH, and their lovely wives joined us for a night out "on the town." On this, our first night in Europe, we decided to dine on ... get ready for it ... Mexican Food! Yes, that's right, we had our choices of 31 different Asian restaurants, an Italian restaurant, 3 incarnations of "The Scottish Restaurant" (McDonalds), and even a Subway Sandwich shop. But ... we decided to try the Dutch Version of Mexican. It was ... well ... not Mexican, or Tex-Mex, nor any incarnation of Mexican I have ever tried. It wasn't bad, however, and we had a lovely dinner enjoying conversation and fighting the sand-man, who was beating rather viciously on us all.

After dinner we waked around a bit more, picked up some water and soft drinks at a local convenience store, and then we headed back to our rooms for a good night's sleep. And, I must say, I won't have any trouble sleeping tonight. The clock on my laptop screen says it's 2:39 pm on Monday afternoon (Central Time). However, here in Rotterdam it's 9:39 and the sky is starting to get grey. I'm tired, and am VERY happy to be here.

Tomorrow is the Christening of the new ms Eurodam. It promises to be a very special event, and I'm very glad I'm here and ready to be a part of it.

Allow me to address the issue of threads -- combined or independent. After discussing this issue on the board several months ago, chatting with others, and thinking about it, I decided to post my own thread. That there will be 8 or 14 of them from the Inaugural Cruises is y'all problem, not mine. :D I pray you enjoy them all ... I know I'll enjoy reading the others when I get home! :D

If any of my friends aboard the Eurodam wishes to post on my thread, either instead of a thread of their own or in addition such, that's perfectly ok by me. So, please set that whole issue aside and let's get on with the subject at hand ... the Eurodam's Inaugural!

Oh, and a great big thank you to all of those who have expressed well-wishes to me! I greatly covet your prayers and your kind thoughts.

Peace!

Greg, I'm so glad that you have arrived with a minimum amount of aggravation. (I have had nightmares about that screaming baby)

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the crew on the 5th. I'm almost packed and will be leaving tomorrow for Copenhagen.

Peace and love,

Joyce

Greg,

You're really there! WOW!!!

Glad you made it safely. Some comedian once said that the landing gear is connected to the tray tables, so ...

Maybe they should announce that?

Looking forward to more of your posts. Can't get enough of the Eurodam!

Greg, so glad you arrived safely inspite of the obstacles on your flight. SOunds like you had all of Murphy's Law working against you...except for no lost luggage. Now you can relax and enjoy! Hope you do that. Can't wait to see, hear the events of tomorrow.

so glad to see that you made it safely, Greg! By any chance, the screaming baby wasn't being held by an older sibling who kicked your seat for the entire flight, was he? I was so disappointed when they weren't behind us again on our last flight ;)

so glad to see that you made it safely, Greg! By any chance, the screaming baby wasn't being held by an older sibling who kicked your seat for the entire flight, was he? I was so disappointed when they weren't behind us again on our last flight ;)

Oh my, the kicking kid ALWAYS sits behind me!

Rev,

So glad you made it in one piece and with fellow ccr's. I really look forward to hearing about your trip, you are one of the best in showing us verbally what we can see in our minds:rolleyes: HMMMM did I get that right??

God Speed and have a wonderful trip.

Kathy

Oh my, the kicking kid ALWAYS sits behind me!

I remember that I just gotten off a very long flight from Hawaii and was connecting in Atlanta to go home. A woman and her 4 year old sat behind me and the child began to kick my seat.

After politely asking the mother to control her son several times she finally replied that he could do whatever he wanted.

I got up from my seat and asked the man sitting behind the mother if I could borrow his seat for a few moments. He grinned and said 'be my guest'.

It was amazing how quickly the mother got her child under control. ;)

Joyce -- Almost finished packing

I remember that I just gotten off a very long flight from Hawaii and was connecting in Atlanta to go home. A woman and her 4 year old sat behind me and the child began to kick my seat.

After politely asking the mother to control her son several times she finally replied that he could do whatever he wanted.

I got up from my seat and asked the man sitting behind the mother if I could borrow his seat for a few moments. He grinned and said 'be my guest'.

It was amazing how quickly the mother got her child under control. ;)

Joyce -- Almost finished packing

Awesome!!! You are my hero! :D

Archived