Tipping the Barman

ustal

Sorry in advance for a dumb question!

I've read quite a few posts suggesting that the first thing you do is find "your" bar, order your favourite drink, and tip the barman well :D

I think this is a great strategy - but I'm just wondering about how exactly it works :(

Do I need to go and get lots of small USD notes, or can I just put it on my SeaPass somehow?

Thanks!

Noirin

We have not tried to stake out a bar first thing, but we have tipped extra for excellant service above the 15% automatic tip vs $dollar bills.

I can say though that if we like a particular bar, and bar person we tend to go back there more, spend more time there, order more drinks and tip more. I do not think I would suggest we get special favors. Typically the bar person is really good and is good with everyone, thus the popularity of that bar/bar person.

There was one bar person that made a special effort to get me a martini CD that they passed out to some passengers some years ago. I think his name was Sudi. He was excellant. He was an entertainer and could juggle and pour drinks in amazing ways. I would like to have him on ship again. :)

They add 15% automatically to the price of every drink you order. There is a place on the check to add an additional tip if you so choose and all checks are charged to your ship board account. If you'd like you can add additional tips in cash.

We usually hang out in the Martini bar before dinner each night. We seldom tip the waiters during the cruise, but do give a nice extra tip, in cash, the last night to the bar waiters who have given us great service there. We do introduce ourselves at the beginning of the cruise, learn their names, and let them know we'll be there most nights. We've found that as nightly regulars we get excellent service and accordingly want to tip extra by the end of the cruise. We've never found the need for an early or mid cruise tip. Only exception is if we find a waiter in another area that we like or who gives extra special service, but whom we don't expect to use much later in the cruise, then we'll give an extra tip when paying for our drinks.

Right

First thing you need to be aware, you automatically tip every barman/girl as 15% is added to the cost of the drink as a tip through your seapass card. We and I think many are like this, do not offer any additional tip early in the cruise - though if you choose to you can do this by adding a tip on the bill you sign. We tend to seek out our favourite bar persion, for example they have day time duties so we find out what bar they are at and may drop by to see them in the day.

If they continue to give us good service on the last night we give them dollar note(s) as we say our good byes

A point to note do not forget your bar bills auto adds 15%There is also a line on them that says tip - do not be fooled, and only fill that in if you have had service way above the call of duty

A

On most cruises we seem to have a favorite bar man. (Anyone know Bobby on the Constellation?) Anyway, if we seem to go to the same guy night after night, the last day I give them an extra cash tip.

On a recent cruise to Hawaii, I wanted my MaiTai made a certain way. The barman did this for me, so I tipped him extra, cash, on the spot. From then on, he made it the way I liked it each time. I gave him another cash tip at the end of the cruise as well as a thank you.

On other trips, when I don't ask for anything special, I don't give extra. It all depends.

we are frequent sailors and frankly have very little to do with any of the on board staff. we rarely see our butler or room steward unless we are in our room when they come to do their job. i have no idea what the names of any of the bar service staff are on any of the ships we have sailed on but i do have one martini before dinner each night. we always have a bottle of wine with dinner and we choose it ourselves, the wine stewards are generally uninformed.

at home when i go to my local pub i think me and my friends are regarded as good tippers, we usually leave 15-20%. we know all the staff, they are friendly and me and my friends have been going there for years.

now, having been charged an automatic tip of 15% by X, i fail to see why i would add any extra amount or pass out a few bucks at the end of the cruise to the bar staff? i already gave them 15%. most posters must be a lot more generous than i am.

as for the butlers and room steward, we almost never see them and ask for nothing. we have already paid them the pre paid amount and see no reason for paying any more.

maybe i have it wrong? i dont think so!

On other lines, tipping the bartender will get you the occasion perk of a stronger drink and in some cases a free one here and there.

On X it doesn't work that way. They are monitored closely and could lose their job. Don't expect much other than prompt service

They add 15% automatically to the price of every drink you order. There is a place on the check to add an additional tip if you so choose and all checks are charged to your ship board account. If you'd like you can add additional tips in cash.

We usually hang out in the Martini bar before dinner each night. We seldom tip the waiters during the cruise, but do give a nice extra tip, in cash, the last night to the bar waiters who have given us great service there. We do introduce ourselves at the beginning of the cruise, learn their names, and let them know we'll be there most nights. We've found that as nightly regulars we get excellent service and accordingly want to tip extra by the end of the cruise. We've never found the need for an early or mid cruise tip. Only exception is if we find a waiter in another area that we like or who gives extra special service, but whom we don't expect to use much later in the cruise, then we'll give an extra tip when paying for our drinks.

LSimon hits this nail right on the head. Get to know them, let them know you will be regulars, treat them well and they will treat you as X says, "famously."

And a previous poster mentioned Sudi. He is the best bartender ever! We did exactly what I said above. We told Sudi we would see him every night, we came back every night. We talked to him. We had a great time with him. What was the result? On my bride's birthday--her name written on the ice bar wall and two complimentary martinis.

And if you want to see Sudi in action you can find him on Century and soon (hopefully, according to rumors) in the Martini Bar on Solstice. If you find him, order a mojito martini. In the meantime, you can see him in action at http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/Barcelona-Century_2007/Sudi.html

In our experience the bartenders are just pleased to have you want to get to know who they are.Yes the tips are appreciated but they also seem to like meeting people who want to know about where they are from and ask about the family they left behind.We are cruisers that probably have more in common with the wait staff than some of our fellow cruisers.We cruise because we love to but our budget is limited and my DH is disabled and I work a service oriented job.We drive old cars and really budget for our cruises.A few years ago one of the bartenders sought my husband out after we disembarked and just wanted to wish us well and let us know how nice it was to get to know us after our 15 night Panama Canal cruise.We felt the same way about him.Going back so many of the crew members do remember us and we feel like we are back with old friends.We are taking our 6th cruise in 7 years in November and can't wait to see who's still on the Mercury.

I would agree, I think it is almost "rude" not to engage with the staff as they look after us

DH likes a particular drink a particular way and in most hotels on land - even 5* we have to go over and over how he likes it

We find in the Martini Bar and at Cova, the staff very quickly learn and most importantly remember what he likes and how he likes it so we like to recognise their efforts.

We would never expect a free drink and given how piccy he is about strength of his drink an extra strong one would not be welcome so we are very happy with things as they are

Anyone know who is looking after the Martini Bar on Century just now - just curious - they are all great but wondering if we will see an old friend or two. We have never sailed with Sudi but have been with several great people who have been trained by him and who look up to him as Mr Sudi the Master

A

This is why I just love these boards! Thanks so much for all the info. I'm headed out on Century on Friday, so I'll definitely be looking for Sudi!

I'm a cocktails gal, and I like my martinis 'just so' - can't wait to find a bar where they actually care enough to remember these things :)

Mostly, I was hoping that I'd be able to tip without having to bring USD - I'm so spoiled by the Euro that even having to go to the bank for NOK seems weird now!

So thanks you guys, and a big :D for me!

Noirin

Archived