Kayaking With The Salmon

LokiGB

I have a friend who cruised to Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan the 2nd week of August last year. He said the very best part of the whole cruise was the kayak trip he took. He said he was taken by a boat away from the town where they got their kayaks. Then the tour leader took them to the mouth of a creek where there were so many salmon spawning that they were actually kayaking with the salmon. He said he is still overwhelmed with the experience.

He does not remember which port it was, although it was not Skagway because he went on the train there.

Part of our group would really like to go on this excursion, if they could just figure out which port it was in and which tour it was. Hope someone has been on this tour, or has heard of this tour and can lead us in the right direction. THANX for your help!

I have a friend who cruised to Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan the 2nd week of August last year. He said the very best part of the whole cruise was the kayak trip he took. He said he was taken by a boat away from the town where they got their kayaks. Then the tour leader took them to the mouth of a creek where there were so many salmon spawning that they were actually kayaking with the salmon. He said he is still overwhelmed with the experience.

He does not remember which port it was, although it was not Skagway because he went on the train there.

Part of our group would really like to go on this excursion, if they could just figure out which port it was in and which tour it was. Hope someone has been on this tour, or has heard of this tour and can lead us in the right direction. THANX for your help!

From the description, this might have been the Orcas Cove trip through Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan. Ask your friend if this rings a bell.

Originally Posted by LokiGB viewpost.gif

<<I have a friend who cruised to Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan the 2nd week of August last year. He said the very best part of the whole cruise was the kayak trip he took. He said he was taken by a boat away from the town where they got their kayaks. Then the tour leader took them to the mouth of a creek where there were so many salmon spawning that they were actually kayaking with the salmon. He said he is still overwhelmed with the experience.

From the description, this might have been the Orcas Cove trip through Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan. Ask your friend if this rings a bell.>>

O2B@C -

Thanks so much for your response. I wonder if anyone else has actually kayaked with the salmon and if they think this was out of Ketchikan.

I love your name ---I2wish2B@C.

You're welcome! I like your name too - is it after the Norse fire/trickster god? I always kind of liked him, even though he's sometimes very naughty.

I forgot to say in my earlier post that I did the shorter Southeast Sea Kayaks tour in 2005 - the Pennock Paddle - and during the course of the trip, a salmon jumped out of the water right next to one of the guides' kayaks and almost landed in it! And that wasn't the only one we saw jumping - only the closest one. So even though it wasn't the tour your friend recalls (you go right from the dock rather than taking a boat first), we were definitely kayaking with salmon. We saw a bald eagle really close, too. It was a lot of fun, and the guides were great. I'm planning on doing the longer Orcas Cove trip with them this coming August. I really recommend them if your group is looking for a cool kayak trip.

Archived