Zip-loc packing

Karen Lee

Okay, I'm packing right now and using the zip-loc method for the first time. It's a little scary looking at everything sucked up in zip locs. Do you also do this with formal wear? Like long dresses or flowing pants?

Appreciate any help right away.

Thanks.

I ziploc everything but I use the two gallon bags for nicer things so they don't get so scrunched. They're harder to find. I get them here at Shaw's Supermarket. I read a lot they were available at Target but my Target didn't carry them. I love using the bags for space saving but I also feel like everything stays protected and I pack everything I need for one outfit together so unpackings a breeze.

Have a great trip!

Great! Yea, I got the 2 1/2 galloon at Target. Things are fitting really well, but I was a ittle concerned what they're going to look like when I unpack on Sunday. Mainly the formalwear cuz I can't really iron them.

My mom taught me to take the plastic bags that cover your long formalwear and actually hang the bag INSIDE the garmet rather than the outside. It'll reduce wrinkles.

I've tried it for when I've traveled for weddings...surprisingly, it does work!

Karen Lee,

I'm a big fan of the ziplocks -- all sizes. I use them to "squish" items where I don't care about wrinkles -- nightgowns, socks. underwear, hose, etc. My flowing pants/long gowns, I pack in a rolling garment bag with tissue paper (buy on sale at Walgreen's) between each item. In 7 cruises, I have never had to have an item pressed.

I use the 2 1/2 gallon bags for shorts, swimsuits, underwear, anything that could leak and all the small items to keep them together. I use dry cleaner bags for all the formal wear and better clothing. Found our ziplocks at the grocery store.

Formal wear was put in plastic bags before going in the garment bag. I didn't need to iron anything.

I also use the plastic dry cleaning bags for my hanging clothes. I iron each outfit, put the bag on, reach up under the bag and fold the garmet arms over in front and into the garment bag it goes. Clothes come out looking freshly ironed.

JodiBB - I have never heard of your moms trick. I don't see how that would work with the friction of the clothes on each other, but I am willing to give it a try. It would be easier to fold those arms.

JodiBB - I have never heard of your moms trick. I don't see how that would work with the friction of the clothes on each other, but I am willing to give it a try. It would be easier to fold those arms.

Sorry...I should clarify that there would be a plastic bag inside and outside of the garment. I did this for my cousin's wedding with my long gown in my suitcase for over 12 hours! When I took it out 2 hours before the wedding (in case there were wrinkles), there wasn't a single wrinkle to be found!

Thanks mom! :)

Archived