Where Have All The Cruisers Gone?

hgatsawgrs

You are right, meow, the agency website that I use to monitor these things shows many vacancies at the suite level. On checking the Nov 14 Insignia cruise Barcelona to Lisbon there are also many available suites. 5 OS, 2 VS, 6 PH1, 7 PH2, 7 PH3.

It could be possible the website is incorrect in the cabins availability.

5 OS still available something seems wrong since there are only 6 you would think more would be booked.

I guess with the economy people are just not travelling as much.

The airlines are really making it harder to get good flights, charging for food, luggage and the costs are rising.

Today gas is down to $1.28 L from $1.37 yesterday....maybe there is a small break:)

Oceania's own website (registration required for booking info) show the Nov. 6th cruise wide open in every category.

Hi Cruiseguy. How do youcheck cabin availability on Oceania's website without actually booking the cruise? Thanks.

Jean

TERRIER1-Go to the Oceania website and click on the "My Cruise Planner" section. You will be asked to create a profile, get a password, etc. After doing so you can then access specific itineraries which will show you the actual availability and prices of stateroom categories. Unavailable categories are not listed. The site does not show specific rooms that are available, only categories. But this at least provides an insight as to how sales are going on a specific cruise. If all categories are available obviously the cruise is pretty open.

The site does not show specific rooms that are available, only categories. But this at least provides an insight as to how sales are going on a specific cruise. If all categories are available obviously the cruise is pretty open.

You can select a specific cabin from the list once you select the cabin category if you go one step further.

If a category is open it may not mean it is wide open ...maybe only 1 cabin is still available it would still show the Category as available you need to check what cabin are still open

TERRIER1-Go to the Oceania website and click on the "My Cruise Planner" section. You will be asked to create a profile, get a password, etc. After doing so you can then access specific itineraries which will show you the actual availability and prices of stateroom categories. Unavailable categories are not listed. The site does not show specific rooms that are available, only categories. But this at least provides an insight as to how sales are going on a specific cruise. If all categories are available obviously the cruise is pretty open.

I am DEFINITELY doing something wrong. When I go into a cruise leaving next month all of the categories still appear and I know they must be gone by now. I am selecting in the Cruise Planner as you directed.

Jean

I am DEFINITELY doing something wrong. When I go into a cruise leaving next month all of the categories still appear and I know they must be gone by now. I am selecting in the Cruise Planner as you directed.

Jean

Did you click on "reserve" once you put the cruise in your planner?

Regarding the aforementioned November 6th cruise, I suddenly received an e-mail from Oceania today advertising this cruise and several others as 2 for 1 promotions with "free" air. So maybe Azamara and the economy are beginning to have an impact.

Regarding the aforementioned November 6th cruise, I suddenly received an e-mail from Oceania today advertising this cruise and several others as 2 for 1 promotions with "free" air. So maybe Azamara and the economy are beginning to have an impact.

WOW my email from them never had that sailing listed in either of the emails I received ...maybe tomorrow

sorry to hear of your ordeal getting home.

I fear this is the way the airlines will be in the next while.

What airline did you use?

I would like to minimize our ordeal next year if possible.;)

While we were delayed, a number of people on our cruise had their luggage lost and it didn't arrive until several days into the cruise. These snafus involve a number of airlines and major airports. I'm afraid it's open season on passengers in the sky.

While we were delayed, a number of people on our cruise had their luggage lost and it didn't arrive until several days into the cruise. These snafus involve a number of airlines and major airports. I'm afraid it's open season on passengers in the sky.

Thanks

Does not sound encouraging for air travel

Thanks everyone. I followed through and was able to see the remaining cabins available. I was fearful if I selected the cruise I would get booked and charged for a second cabin.

As far as where are all the cruisers I believe it's a combination of the economy and the state of the airlines especially regrding the cost of fuel. I am booked next May on the Insignia and started to search for air fares on my own. The fares are literally double from last year when we sailed on the Regatta ex Rome. I normally book my own airfares but since they are so expensive so far I may request the deviation from Oceania to come into Rome a few days early. I was able to secure round trip air fare from NY to Rome and from Venice to NY last year for $925 with no stops. The cheapest I can find this year from NY ro Rome and from Istanbul to NY no stops starts in the $2000's.

From what we can find on the web, our voyage will be one of the fuller ones. It is already in the penalty phase, and we can only find a dozen or so vacant cabins, all without balconies (the majority of other voyages have vacancies in most categories). It is unlikely that many will drop off, as few will want to pay penalty, and if few purchase their tickets between now and sailing date, then roughly the ship will be 95% full, a very good "load factor"!

Terrier 1, sounds like you are booking from Canada! That's why Canadians usually find it a much better deal to do the air through Oceania. Most of the time you can't even come close on your own.

Mo

It depends on where you are flying to/from

Sometimes it is cheaper from Canada to Europe than routing through the U.S.

Hi. I am booking from the U.S. and use JFK as the airport which is a major gateway. The airfares I am seeing on line using sites like Kayak and ITAsoftware are very expensive compared to last year. I do not know if it because I am looking at the flights too early of if it is indicative of the fuel situation.

Sometimes it is cheaper from Canada to Europe than routing through the Us.

We have never found that to be so. We often fly through Detroit (same distance as Toronto) as we get better prices there. And our friends just flew to Paris via Buffalo for the same reason. When I search for flights, I can often get an AC flight from Detroit to Toronto and then to Europe cheaper than I can get the same flight originating in TO!

Mo

Sometimes it is cheaper from Canada to Europe than routing through the Us.

We have never found that to be so. We often fly through Detroit (same distance as Toronto) as we get better prices there. And our friends just flew to Paris via Buffalo for the same reason. When I search for flights, I can often get an AC flight from Detroit to Toronto and then to Europe cheaper than I can get the same flight originating in TO!

Mo

It all depends on timing & airports etc...not always cheaper

For me it is easier & cheaper to fly from YYZ then to drive & overnight in the USA.

It is a personal choice

Easier vs cheaper

Just checked flight for my cruise next year

out of BUF the cheapest is $1995.

out of YYZ $1146

It's hard to imagine driving to Detroit from Toronto so that I could fly to Europe. If I lived in London or somewhere like that, yes.

Buffalo, ehh, it would have to be a considerable deal to make me want to do that either! Don't fancy a 2+ hour drive home after flying back over the pond--a 20 minute limo ride suits much better.

It's hard to imagine driving to Detroit from Toronto so that I could fly to Europe. If I lived in London or somewhere like that, yes.

Buffalo, ehh, it would have to be a considerable deal to make me want to do that either! Don't fancy a 2+ hour drive home after flying back over the pond--a 20 minute limo ride suits much better.

I agree with you :D

We still have 1 hr drive home from YYZ

We live in London so travel time is pretty much equal. Less than two hours either way. Much easier to clear customs at the border than in TO at the airport, at least in my experience. I wouldn't drive from Toronto to Detroit either. But, I do find its often cheaper to depart DTW than YYZ.

Mo

A recent survey found that about one third of the car license plates at the Buffalo airport were Canadian. With the hassle of getting over the bridge,(whichever bridge you choose) there must be some good deals for Canadians right now or they wouldn't be flying out of Buffalo.

Archived