Where Have All The Cruisers Gone?

hgatsawgrs

Let's not be so quick to gloat about tough times ahead for the cruise lines. I guarantee you that along with price reductions will come commensurate cuts in quality and service. Personally, I'd prefer to pay a bit more and keep quality high, no matter which line I am sailing on.

Why should there be cuts in O's quality? They started out with high quality at a fair price. Word got out, cabins got filled and there were wait lists. Terrific. So they raised their prices on everything from base fares, to drinks, to corkage fee's, made a public area into private cabana's and charged a premium. Why? Because they could! The economy was good and people still booked. So if times are now tight and prices have to be sharper, then they'll have to adjust and be happy that the fat years allowed them to charge excess and now the lean years may force them to go back to their original concept of an excellent product at a fair price.

Why should there be cuts in O's quality? They started out with high quality at a fair price. Word got out, cabins got filled and there were wait lists. Terrific. So they raised their prices on everything from base fares, to drinks, to corkage fee's, made a public area into private cabana's and charged a premium. Why? Because they could! The economy was good and people still booked. So if times are now tight and prices have to be sharper, then they'll have to adjust and be happy that the fat years allowed them to charge excess and now the lean years may force them to go back to their original concept of an excellent product at a fair price.

That was exactly what I was saying, I thought most ordinary customers would think the same, but some people (not so much wripro) wouldn't agree.

Please see an earlier thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=807852&page=2 postings #25, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33.

Why should there be cuts in O's quality? They started out with high quality at a fair price. Word got out, cabins got filled and there were wait lists. Terrific. So they raised their prices on everything from base fares, to drinks, to corkage fee's, made a public area into private cabana's and charged a premium. Why? Because they could!

No other cruise line raised their prices in the past 4 years:confused::confused:

I have heard several lines like Silverseas have cut the quality in food & services ...no caviar :eek:

Only time will tell who survives the cruise game

• 2 weeks later...

On exactly this day last year, for our upcoming October voyage, all suites, PHs and Bs are gone, leaving half a dozen A's and some inside cabins http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14019211&highlight=venice+athens#post14019211 posting #5

However, today, for the same itinerary for October, 2009, all categories (including all 6 OS and all 4 VS) are practically empty (you can check Oceania's own website). This is not only for one voyage, the general trend seems to be true across the board, and not just for Oceania either. It will be interesting to watch for pricing next year!

On exactly this day last year, for our upcoming October voyage, all suites, PHs and Bs are gone, leaving half a dozen A's and some inside cabins http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14019211&highlight=venice+athens#post14019211 posting #5

However, today, for the same itinerary for October, 2009, all categories (including all 6 OS and all 4 VS) are practically empty (you can check Oceania's own website). This is not only for one voyage, the general trend seems to be true across the board, and not just for Oceania either. It will be interesting to watch for pricing next year!

meow!,

Either there was a computer glitch or you're not checking in the "My Cruise Planner" section because I just checked the Oct. 13th Venice to Athens cruise on the Oceania web site and it shows only Ocean View and Inside staterooms available.

Dave

The price differential is considerable depending on your destination. For example - we flew to Grand Cayman from BUF at a cost of <$400 and the cost out of YYZ was >$1,400. Parking is cheaper as well although we stayed the night before in a Marriott and there's a short connection in Charlotte vs. direct flight. Still, all in I'd say we saved >$1,700 by driving to BUF. I'll make that drive every time for savings like that.

A recent survey found that about one third of the car license plates at the Buffalo airport were Canadian. With the hassle of getting over the bridge,(whichever bridge you choose) there must be some good deals for Canadians right now or they wouldn't be flying out of Buffalo.

A major on-line agency (cannot be named) has just sent out e-mails advertising Oceania 2009 European voyages for the usual "2 for 1" with "free air" PLUS up to $1,000 shipboard credit! That conceivably can be Oceania's first step towards facing difficult market without (as yet) climbing down from the "no price lowering" policy. Be patient, better deals (on any cruise line) for consumers are ahead!

P.S. I guess the shipboard credit can more than cover all the tips and drinks, making it virtually "all inclusive" and you can buy your perfumes and souvenirs too! Too bad it doesn't (yet) cover voyages for this October, and we have already paid in full, though we are glad for future cruisers .. meow!

Azamara was doing the onboard credit thing for awhile rather than discounting the base fare. I guess it gives them more flexibility (raise the credit, lower the credit) than constantly adjusting the base prices. Plus it preserves price integrity. So I'll bet this is the route O takes rather than steep discounting.

2kiwis you are so right but I have found some good deals in US that you can book on the internet and circumvent the high prices we are quoted here. I know the risks, with travel compensation etc etc but figured it was worth it and would not hesitate to do so again.

Perhaps things will change in time but it is hard to see given the smaller population bases here and in NZ. We are a very small blip on their radar I am afraid.

What really ticks me off is that there are some cruise lines that expressly forbid US agents selling to us, obviously to protect the GSA's. I will continue to vote with my feet on those lines.

Nev

Archived