Hair straightner / flat iron

Hi, silly question, i know you need a special kind of hot iron to work in Rome, but what about on the ship ? we will be on the NOS in 2 weeks and we (DD and i can do without for the 2 days in Rome ) but would like to use it on the ship. Does any one know if ours from home will work without any converters. Thanks.

The ship will have outlets like at home !!!

In Rome, you'll need a converter set..and will need to use 2 parts of that set.......one to convert the voltage and one for the 2 prong outlet.They will all attach into each other.

Hope it all works out for you.

We're on the Navigator in Sept. !!!!

Enjoy,

Sharon

The ship will have 110V outlets just like here in the US. However, I burned up my Chi flat iron within 10 seconds on my first trip to Paris. I thought I had connected everything correctly, using both parts of the converter kit, but literally it overheated immediately and started smoking. :( I was so surprised and upset, and left it at home on my next trip to Europe. I opted for imperfect hair instead! I guess the wattage requirement is too high for those converter kits.

It took me awhile to find, but I bought a dual-voltage flat iron on-line. It is HerStyler brand model W2D. It says that you can use in on wet hair, but I only used it when my hair was dry. I used it in France, England and on the ship with only an adapter plug when needed.

It was easy to find a dual-voltage hair dryer (just need to turn the screw to change voltage) and curling iron (adjusts automatically), but the flat iron was tough.

It took me awhile to find, but I bought a dual-voltage flat iron on-line. It is HerStyler brand model W2D.

Thanks for posting that. I haven't been able to use my Chi in Europe even with what is supposed to be the proper voltage converter. I'm gonna check that one out!

I, too , found a dual voltage flat iron on the Magellan Travel website. Used it in France and Spain and on board Emerald Princess in May. Worked fairly well. You also need the plug adapter however---just a few dollars at any travel store.I depends on which countries you are in which style you buy. But on the ships--American---you do not need them.

Yes, to echo, make sure 110-220 flatner for Europe mainland, even with converter, if 110, they tend to fry (get way to hot, and with hair, bad combo!) I got a great one, made by GHD that works as flattner, but has rounded edges so can also curl (110/220v) and is pretty small and easy to travel with.

• 1 month later...

I work part time in a luggage store and we sell converters and adapter plugs. We are asked all the time about flat irons and we always give the same answer.....buy one that converts and do not try to convert your own.

Magellans has one, rather small and according to my daughter didn't work real well, but she has very thick hair. There was another one at a beauty supply, but the cost was around $150 and that is in a professional shop, not one open to the public, I'm sure the cost retail is much higher.

The weird thing is, I haven't heard the same about curling irons. Either not too many women use them any more, there are plenty of convertible travel curling irons available for purchase, or the flat irons are of a higher wattage than the curling irons. I dunno, I haven't used any of it in many years, I just round brush my flat baby hair.

Sorry to read about the CHI iron, I know those are costly! Too bad no one told you before you went, but at least it was the iron that burned up and not your hair :eek: . I have talked with women in our store who burned their hair right off.

So...Everyone Be Careful :)

My Conair is a flat iron/curl iron combo that automatically converts 110/220. I used in Barcelona (with little converter plug) and then used on the ship with no problems. It's not small, but it did the job for my very wavy hair!

Archived