Airfare Newark, NJ to Honolulu, HI

Donna6369

I am going on POA then end of May 2009 - June 2009 and my flights will finally be for sale the end of this week. It looks like it will be $913.00 per person plus taxes from Newark, NJ to Honolulu, HI on a non-stop flight.

Do you I wait it out to see if the flights get lower or just bite the bullet and book now? :confused:

I also posted this in the Hawaii forum not sure where I would get a better response.

I am going on POA then end of May 2009 - June 2009 and my flights will finally be for sale the end of this week. It looks like it will be $913.00 per person plus taxes from Newark, NJ to Honolulu, HI on a non-stop flight.

Do you I wait it out to see if the flights get lower or just bite the bullet and book now? :confused:

I also posted this in the Hawaii forum not sure where I would get a better response.

wow.... that seems so expensive but in reality, it's not. My friends and I went to Hawaii in Sept. 2005. They paid about $200-$300 to come to Calif. They stayed with me for a couple of days and then we flew to Hawaii. Our Hawaii airfare was just under $400. So in reality, it's maybe $150-$200 more to go non stop. I think I'd wait a bit but not long. I don't see airfare coming down much over the next year. Even if fuel comes down, which I don't think it will, they will keep prices/fee's up I predict.

That's a really good price, especially for a non-stop from the East Coast to Hawaii. I would be jumping on it quickly. We went to Hawaii in January, a year ago when we purchased tickets, it was going to be around $900 for economy - and that was with multiple connections.

Just one note, do not be surprised if fares go up when they release flights later this week, which seems to be the trend.

Not a bad price at all. With taxes, it is $973.00 on the Continental nonstop (only one per day each way).

You can save AT LEAST $200 flying the NWA one stopper through Minneapolis.

And you can save even more with 2 flights-EWR to LAX, then either Site59, Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays or one of the other packagers on the flight from LAX to Hawaii. As far out as I can see (through Dec. 31-high season Hawaii), you can get RT air from LAX or SFO AND three days car rental or 3 days hotel for less than $600.00. Or if you just want the flight, $419.00 RT LAX (not as much saving just with the air).

But if you want the nonstop, GRAB IT NOW!!!!

I wouldn't wait. Flights to Hawaii will be sharply reduced this fall because:

- They are very fuel-inefficient, fuel burn per mile per passenger is high.

- Most travelers are leisure travelers on low-yield fares.

- A big reason airlines operated Hawaii flights was to encourage FF members to burn off miles (and the airline's liability). The math is different now.

The supply of seats (especially nonstop seats) will be tight. The demise of Aloha and ATA also puts upward price pressure on fares.

Have a great, if not inexpensive, vacation!

Well I was finally able to book my flight and it was 1,290.00 per person, but I did book since it is the only non-stop flight from Newark and I have been told it will probably be sold out quickly. I just didn't think taking a chance would be wise. Can't wait Aloha!

Archived