No Irons For Other Pax, But Electric Tea Kettles OK For Asian Market

Is an electric tea kettle less of a fire hazard than an electric iron, or do you think they prohibit irons so they can charge us to press our pants?;)
So ... now RCCL is providing us with a "steamer" to rid our clothes of those pesky wrinkles. i am sure we can fashion a hose out of our Duct Tape!! You did remember the duct tape, right? No Laundry charges here....:rolleyes: :eek: :D ;)

Okay, the Iron can tip over, etc. Somewhat of a valid argument.

But coffee pots? NCL has them in their staterooms, at all levels. And they are just normal looking pots. Must by why all their ships are on fire!

What many fail to realise is the fire hazzard is not in the appliance laying on the floor or not shut off, although that is certainly a hazzard. The reason is because the wattage of the appliance is too strong for the wiring to handle. An iron can cause sparking and blow the system in the immediate area for a number of cabins, most of the time the only damage that will be done is the area will have no electricity for a while. It is a fire hazzard to have a sparking appliance.

I don't think your wattage argument holds up. A quick review of irons and tea kettles on Amazon.com shows that both appliances are about the same wattage, so in that regard a steam iron is no more dangerous than a tea kettle. :eek:

What was your source regarding how a ship's wiring won't handle a 1500 watt load?

This came up in another thread. Basically the 'fire in the wall from electric pull' seems to be bunk - the outlets would be tied to a circuit breaker that would trip before there would be a fire - just like in your house. Who would build a ship that a passenger with a big hairdryer could cause a fire? Also would appear the often quoted "USCG Regulations" do not exist.

Many people bring their own hairdryers - and many pull more than 1500 with no issues.

Where the 1500 watt comes from is RCCL's own website:

Q: What electrical voltage is offered onboard? s.gif A: North American standard, 110 volts AC is used on all of our ships. Outlet adapter is required for European standard. European standard (220 volts AC, round prongs).

Stateroom outlets can accommodate appliances up to 1500 watts.

I don't think your wattage argument holds up. A quick review of irons and tea kettles on Amazon.com shows that both appliances are about the same wattage, so in that regard a steam iron is no more dangerous than a tea kettle. :eek:

What was your source regarding how a ship's wiring won't handle a 1500 watt load?

seems like we're just getting bent out of shape for the sake of doing it...who here doesnt cruise with RC because they prohibit irons...I would imagine a lot less than wouldnt in the AsianMarket if they cant get their own tea going in a room...RC is doing what they feel they need to do to grow their presence in that market.

seems like we're just getting bent out of shape for the sake of doing it...who here doesnt cruise with RC because they prohibit irons...I would imagine a lot less than wouldnt in the AsianMarket if they cant get their own tea going in a room...RC is doing what they feel they need to do to grow their presence in that market.

To me, it's the inconsistencies in their policies and enforcement. The RCCL website states that they don't allow irons because they are a fire hazard, but then they turn around and provide other heat-producing appliances of the same wattage range to a certain market segment.

If irons are such a big fire hazard, why do lots of hotels supply them in the room? Why do they not prohibit curling irons as well?

Also, seems like every hotel and cruise ship stateroom I've been in lately is fully sprinklered anyway.

SOOO, it seems to me that RCCL prohibits irons as a way to direct revenue to the on-board laundry services, not because of any real fire hazard. :D

Point of OP is that rules can & will be bent to gain cruisers from other markets--also heard (unconfirmed) that smoking policies may be relaxed for cruises originating in certain area . ... menus are also subject to tweaking... Guess they will do what they need to in order to earn money! Ok with me as long as they take the needs of their main pax demographics into consideration as well!

The "wattage" on some hair appliances are the same as some travel irons. It's a stupid rule. It has nothing to do with safety--it has to do with the cruiseline wanting more of your money!

What is wrong with a company making as much money as they can from their customers? All companyies do it; Department stores, auto dealers etc. Why not cruise lines? They have a right to make as much as they can. Plus it is their ship, their rules, live with it or don't use their service.

SOOO, it seems to me that RCCL prohibits irons as a way to direct revenue to the on-board laundry services, not because of any real fire hazard. :D

It is revenue enhancemant, it's just better marketing doublespeak. There may be a token of truth to the hazard arguement, but it definately sounds better than, "We need more revenue!"

Nothing wrong with revenue enhancement either!

Archived