Is RCI still stopping in Labadee

KyGolden08

I just got an email bulletin advising about the kidnappings & advising only "must go" travel to Haiti & I was just curious if RCI was still stopping there or if they were passing it up for a while.

I know they have fences & armed guards but I'm a first-timer and was just curious. Thanks! :confused:

We are booked for next march on independance, but we have heard nothing about Labadee. Alot of what we are told about Haiti happens in and around the capital Port a Prince, which is on the other side of the island from where Labadee is. With the security that Rci has I dont think you should encounter any problems. Some of these posts have stated that the security is very good on land as well as in the water.

Just off the Liberty of the Seas yesterday. Our first stop was Labadee last Monday. No problems. You have to look pretty hard to spot the armed guards. I saw two on the way up to the zip-line. Don't worry about your trip there. You'll have a great time on the island.

I just looked up the state department warning and it is very disturbing. I'm wondering if it's really safe or wise to do a cruise ship stop in Haiti? Here's a link to the warning:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_917.html

If it weren't safe, RCCL wouldn't stop there. And in the past they have discontinued stops at Labadee due to political unrest. But they are not doing so at this time.

The unrest reported is in Les Cayes and Port-au-Prince. As I stated earlier these place are at the opposite side of the island. These problems have always been happening in and around the capital. Please dont let fear ruin a good vacation. As WRP96 said, if there is any slight possibility of a problem in and around Labadee, RCCL will change routes and ports to avoid putting anyone in harms way. Just enjoy :)

At pressent RCL has no advisories or warnings posted for Labadee. And as RCL's Labadee is listed as Haiti's largest tourism cash flow, they most likely dont want anything to happen in and around Labadee.:)

Worry-worts can stay on board, and leave more beach space for the care-free sprits!

I'm being light-hearted and silly here, and I do think that it is reasonable to worry about your trip, but you won't actually be going to a city, or anywhere near a city, and the area is highly secured. You won't see the security, as RC has been taking some tips from the Disney empire on how to control the environment that guests see, and it is as if you are not in Haiti at all, just a small private beach with some very nice staff. You will be in an area that is entirely controlled by Royal Caribbean. You will not have an option to leave this private area.

Also, the people who live in Labadie village (on the other side of the beach, you can't get there from the RC Labadee compound) consider them selves to be among the most prosperous in Haiti, and claim to make more money than businessmen or doctors in Port-au-Prince and certainly do not want to jeopardize their connection to the outside world that Royal Caribbean offers them. For many in that village, which like many sea villages in the area is highly overfished so they must go miles out to sea to try to catch fish, the idea of leaving Haiti is something they work towards for years and years- believe me, they want to do whatever it takes to make the cruise ship passengers very happy and feel very safe.

Please do not make yourselves nervous! Enjoy your vacation! Really, there is some element of danger everywhere, even when you step outside your own home and get into your car.

I don't know if some of you saw the report on Good Morning America, ABC News and maybe Nightline last night about the child slave trade happening there and it was very sad, but all too common in that country apparently. I thought it was especially depressing that one mother found out her daughter was being beaten by the family she was sold to, and picked up the little girl and had to drop her off at the local orphanage because she could not provide the most basic necessities for her at home. :(

PS- I reccommend the walking tour that is offered, it was very educational and interesting.

First timers here, looking for all the best advise you have to make this cruise the first of many great ones! :p

Enjoy every moment you can. There is alot to see and does not seem to be enough time to see it all. Leave the worries and cares of the world at home. :) :) :) :)

Enjoy every moment you can. There is alot to see and does not seem to be enough time to see it all. Leave the worries and cares of the world at home. :) :) :) :)

Great advise & one that we are taking! :D

• 1 month later...

Archived