Legend June 29 - Open Seating for Dinner

Stuster

I, and others, would really appreciate a post when you return. I agree with the last poster, I have heard you must stick to whichever option you pick for the entire cruise. I really don't know how they would enforce that unless they tag your S&S card and swipe it when you show up for the flex dining. I am particularly interested in the opportunity to get a table for 2. We did this on the Miracle and loved it. Those tables are usually along the railing on the upper floor. One poster stated that they thought the lower floor was for traditional and the upper floor for flex. I am wondering if tables for 2 will be on the lower floor. Any info you can post would be greatly appreciated!! Have a wonderful Legend cruise!!

Your table assignment is on your S&S card. I didn't do open seating, but I would assume that they (whoever is in charge of seating "open-seaters") would check your card if they didn't recognize you from a previous night.

We had a table on the lower floor, and there were several tables for two around us - mostly empty. We were at the front of the dining room, so I didn't get a good feel for how many of those there are.

A few years back I went on a Girl's only cruise on the Celebration. They had only open seating for dinner. I missed getting to know the wait staff and their getting to know us as to our preferences. I always have a diet coke at meals and usually the bar attendent would always have one for me on the cruises that have assigned seating. So if the cruise line changes to open seating I will miss that personnal touch.

Why? How does it hurt if that is what others want to do?

WHY? Just my take, but I recently sailed on Star Princess (May sailing, booked in January). I requested traditional, early seating. Upon boarding, my party of 4 were assigned open seating, as were many others who prefer traditional dining. Bottom line is that only those who opt for open seating are afforded a choice. We all chose traditional, but were forced to accept open seating. That is what I fear will also happen on Carnival. Bottom line; if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!

WHY? Just my take, but I recently sailed on Star Princess (May sailing, booked in January). I requested traditional, early seating. Upon boarding, my party of 4 were assigned open seating, as were many others who prefer traditional dining. Bottom line is that only those who opt for open seating are afforded a choice. We all chose traditional, but were forced to accept open seating. That is what I fear will also happen on Carnival. Bottom line; if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!

Yes, but traditional has its issues also. And because choice wasn't available until pretty recently, cruisers just had to "suck it up".

My first couple of cruises, I requested late seating and got stuck in early. I haven't eaten dinner at 6:00 pm since I was in elementary school. Luckily, we were able to work it out, but it was a royal pain the in *&@ and made for quite a few anxious moments.

Another time, I was traveling with my Mom on RCI; she preferred not to dine with strangers. We took a chance and asked for a table for 2, but they could not accommodate us. It was five-nighter, with an overnite in Bermuda. We ate on shore one night, one night in their specialty restaurant and the rest of the time in the buffet. Never stepped foot in the dining room.

Sometimes, demand is simply greater than supply - even with traditional. IMHO, offering anytime would alleviate many of these issues. I say having a choice is always a good thing.

Our Nov. cruise will be our first on Carnival. We've sailed NCL five times in the past because of the free-style dining. The two times we've been on cruises with traditional dining we didn't like it. Hopefully Carnival will give people who want to dine at their convenience that opportunity while allowing those who want traditional dining to have that option too.

We were on the 6/29 sailing of the Legend. I told the maitre d that I hoped the Anytime failed. There was only a small section that had the anytime dining alloted (less than 1/4 of the upper level according to our waiter). Actually we I never noticed anybody coming in during our dinner (late seating and we were right beside the section alloted to anytime). Hopefully it fails, IMHO.

All cruise lines are going to add anytime dining, its not going to fail, I spoke with my PVP (who is flat out awesome by the way) and he said they had a meeting about it last week, its a six month test, and they want to see if it will work on a ship with only one dining room first. He felt that carnival would move in the same direction as Royal, Princess, and Hal and add anytime dining by next year to most of the fleet. He actually called me today because he knows how much we love anytime on Princess to see If I had heard. We have been on two cruises with Traditional and 9 with anytime - We have NEVER suffered food quality or service because of anytime dining.

We are also excited about the open seating. We also sailed NCL and enjoyed the freedom to eat when we wanted to. We also sailed on the Victory last year and had late seating but myself and my husband were seated at the singles table. I have no problem with singles I only got married late and travelled extensively before getting married, but the ages ranged from very young to very old and nobody seemed to have anything to talk about or similar interests. We did ask to be moved but the ship was full and they were having many problems with the seating arrangements. So we are also looking forward to the open seating in December when we sail again.

I think some people have quite selfish opinions because that is only what they want, it is not as if Carnival have taken away their option all they are doing is adding more options to make cruising more acceptable and enjoyable to more non traditional people.

Times are tough and I would much rather see Cruise lines offering more options to entice people who in the past who wouldn't consider cruising than to see prices increase.

IMO it is broken so it needs to be fixed.

Archived