Baltic Ports

alborn63

We are taking the Sea Princess for a 7 days cruise next July. We are taking along my parents who will be 73 and 63. First off is it really worth the extra money for a balcony. We ususally to balconies but these are really expensive. Secondly, we are doing Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark. What would you suggest as excursions. We like seeing some of the country side but I do not want to spend 6 to 8 hours riding on a bus. We did the Mediterranean last year and loved it.

I would appreciate any input it is either this cruise or the Alaska cruise.

Copenhagen is indeed wonderful city and I just know you will love it. Denmark has an amazing train/public transportation system, and you can very easily go to each of these places in a day on your own. For me, I like the idea of doing it on my own becasue by traveling by train, you are traveling with the Danish people, and no doubt people watching is always fun. Plus, the Danes are very friendly and everyone speaks English extremely well. Anyone from 10 years on up are able to speak English. Plus, by traveling to these destinations on your own, you can come and go at your own leisure and schedule, and the cost is a whole lot less. Outside of Copenhagen, there are two castles that are a must see, Frederiksborg, and Kronborg. To visit Frederiksborg and Kronborg castles in a day, I'd depart Copenhagen to Hillerod, about a 30 minute train ride. Frederiksborg castle is not far from the train station, and you'll get to walk through the town of Hillerod. I would estimate the walk from the train station to be less than 30 min, maybe 20 min. But again, you would get to walk through the town which should be interesting. Or, you could take a taxi. Regarding Frederiksborg castle, it is the most beautiful castle in all of Denmark. Here is an awsome web link, if it works for you, will give you a live web cam picture of the castle: http://wictor.dk/wictor/frederiksborg/autofrb.html If the address or link does not work, just search under frederiksborg web cam on your engine browser. After touring the castle, you can walk back to the train station, and take a station to Helsingor to tour Kronborg castle. Once you exit the train station, you can see the castle, it's about a 15-20 min. walk. When you buy your entrance ticket, be sure to also get a ticket for the catacombs, if I recall, this was an extra cost, but I could be wrong. There is also a maritime museum, so maybe that is what was extra, either way, make sure you see everything, the castle, the catacombs, and the maritime museum.

In Helsingor, be sure to get ice cream on a street called Brostraede, it's right by the train station. Brostraede is essentially a small alley, no cars. The ice cream shop is on the right side, very small, but well known to all the Danes. Get the ice cream in a hand made waffle cone, and be sure to ask for the whipped cream and chocolate covered cream ball on top, and topped with the strawberry preserve. For myself, I think I am going to get two.

Also, next to the Helsingor train station is the ferry to Helsingborg, Sweden. If you had time, you could take the ferry over to Helsingborg and walk around. I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but there is noting specific to see in Helsingborg, but going there would simply add to your adventure. Actually, there is some kind of old building or fort, I think it's called a "Keep" but it's relatively small, but certainly something to see and do while there, and not too far of a walk from the ferry station. Also, you could take a train to Lund, Sweden, which I think is Sweden's oldest city, but don't quote me on that. Unfortunately, I've never been to Lund, but a Danish friend says it's a very nice town. From there, you can take the train to Malmo, Sweden, for a visit, then the train over the new famous bridge to Copenhagen.

Or, if you don't travel south of Helsingor, Sweden to Copenhagne, you can go from Helsingor, Denmark, and can take the train back to Copenhagen, this will take about an hour. On this train route there are several stops to consider. A stop in Humlebaek, where there is the famous Lousiana museum. A museum of modern art, and definatly a must if your interested in art. Also, along the way back to Copenhagen there is a stop in Klampenborg, and only a 10 min walk to Dyrehaven (Deer Park.) Here you can catch a horse drawn carriage through some of the park. You will see antlered deer running wild in the park. Also, this is the same place as Bakken, which is another amusement park, simular to Tivoli. However, where as Tivoli is focused on the beauty of it's city park, restaurants, and lights, Bakken is focused more on rides, but there are many restaurants as well. It's no Disneyland, Kings Island, or Six Flags, but admittance is free and you can walk around people watching, and find a bit to eat if your hungry.

Admittingly, going to Hillerod, Helsingor, Helsingborg-Sweden, Humlebaek, and Klampenborg all in one day might be a bit much. But, according to your schedule, you can do some of this on one day, and some on another. Doing these sites, depending on what you see an do, rather than doing it all in a day, I'd allow two 1/2 days, possibly more.

Also, I forgot to mention that from Helsingor, you can take another train to Gilleleje. It's a popular place for Danes to visit on the north shore of the island. A good place to have lunch, and spend some time on the beach on a sunny day.

Another palace worthy of visiting is Fredensborg Palace and Chapel hours from 1 PM – 4:30 PM. The queen actually resides here. However, this is not along a train stop. You'd have to catch a bus from the train station. Another option would be to rent a car for a day which would allow you to do more in a day, and could easily visit this Palace.

For other suggestions in and around Copenhagen, depending on your time, and interest, there is the town of Dragor, just south of the airport which would be a cozy town to walk through.

Oh, another place definately worth visiting is to take a train to the town of Roskilde, about 30 min. outside of Copenhagen, to visit the Viking Museum and there's a big church there definately worth seeing before you head back to Copenhagen. I believe I would rate this as a "must do," and plan to go there myself.

Back in Copenhagen, be sure to go up the Round Tower, its on another pedestrian street intersecting Stroget. I believe the street is called Kobmagergade, but if I am wrong, basically it's the "other" pedestrian street intersecting stroget.

2005 is the year Denmark is celebrating Hans Christain Anderson, I think it's his 200 birthday? Anyhow, this reminds me to find a "Hans Christsain Anderson" tour in Denmark.

No doubt you'll find your way to Nyhavn harbor, it's kind of like at the end of Stroget. Be sure to stop at one of the sidewalk cafes along Nyhavn harbor and enjoy a drink, snack, or lunch. I would recommend catching the harbor canal boat tour from Nyhavn. This is also the area for the Royal Theater. Guided tours are available, here is a web site. http://www.kgl-teater.dk/dkt2002uk If there's a performance, I think I'd like to take in a show.

Also, Carlsberg Beer has a brewery tour if you're interested and have the time. However, I don't think it's near a train station and a city bus would be required, but I could be wrong.

Amalienborg, this is another royal residence. Be sure to check out the changing of the guard. If the queen is in residence, the ceremony is more elaborate, if not, it's still interesting. There is a tour in English on Sat & Sun at 1 pm. Also, there are English tours available at Rosenborg castle too. The changing of the guard takes place at noon.

For lunch, I recommend eating outside at Peder Oxe.

In Tivoli, I'd make sure you have dinner there at least one evening, if not more. Fireworks are Saturday and Wednesday. True, it's an amusement park, but it's so much more. There,'s entertainment, and nearly 30 restaurants, and a beautiful park like setting with a lake and lights. Plus, it's not big, it's easy to get around, very cozy, and a wonderful way to spend an evening. For people who expect or want to compare Tivoli to Disney World or Six Flags, then they are just not getting the point of what Tivoli is about, and missing out on a wonderful evening. I say evening, because in my opinion, Tivoli is best in the evening. Just not the same atmosphere in the Day, although still fun. So, I guess I was assuming you'd be going in the evening until I realized I had better mention that evening is best just in case I was assuming wrong.

If you found yourself with some time, maybe 3 hours, you cold take the train to Malmo, Sweden, going accross the new bridge that connects the two countries. For me, this would be worth doing just to cross the bridge. This was previously mentioned above where you could travel accross from Helsingor to Helsingbor, Sweden, then down to Malmo then accross the bridge.

I don't know if you're a shopper, but as I assume you know, Stroget is the place to shop. Whether you're a shopper or not, I recommend visiting these stores as a must. Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen, Georg Jensen, and Holmegaard Glass. Fortunately, these are all along Stroget, although I think Holmegaard Glass on a street just off Stroget. George Jensen and Royal Copenhagen are nearly side by side, or just a few shops apart. Denmark is famous for modern design, and these shops will give you the best idea of what Danish modern design is all about. So, shopper or not, you must visit these stores, and they're relatively small, if you don't buy, you can be in and out in about 10 min. Also, be sure to ask buying tax free. There is a way to get back the tax you pay as you leave the country. Any merchant can explain how easy this is to do. Therefore, keep in mind, if you do see something you'd like to buy, that the price can be considerably lower than what the price indicates after you get your tax money back.

Well, I guess you get the idea of what we plan to see and do. The order or itinerary on how to see and do it all I am not sure. But for you, if you have 4 days, then you should be able to do all that I've mentioned, plus the activities you stated as well. The hard, but fun part is trying to figure out how to fit it all in.

I think I forgot to mention the Rosenborg castle in Copenhagen. This is a must do, and the Crown jewels are also located there.

We found the balcony really added to our enjoyment. Also if you have two adjacent rooms you can have the door open between the balconies which really makes it nice. Just ask your room steward. If you look at my notes from our cruise entitled "Just back. Concise notes" you should find some helpful notes and a site for photos.

If you take the Alaskan cruise, then you'll definately want a balcony as you'll see the coast as you sail nearly the entire cruise. If you have the time, I'd recommend the Alaskan cruise that either starts or departs in Seward and spend some days traveling on your own by car before or after your cruise. The longer your stay in Alaska, the greater your enjoyment. We did a Royal Caribbean cruise departing from Vancouver to Seward, and then did a week in Alaska after the cruise. Best vacation I ever had.

For Stockholm, you can see much of the city by foot (and subway to help you). Highlights include Gamla Stan (old town), Vasa Museum, City Hall (where the Nobel prizes are awarded), and the city centre itseld. I walked until I was sore -- then walked some more -- on a couple of gorgeous, sunny July days during my visit this year. Walk, soak it in, walk, take pictures, walk, talk to people walk... and have a great time! :)

For Sweden you need to check where the ship docks. This year the Grand berthed a one hour train journey from Stockholm although it was really quite easy to do independently.

Helsinki is also extremely easy to see independently.The local bus takes you into town in only 15 minutes or so from the ship.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the great information on Copenhagen.

I found Peder Oxe on Grabrodreyorv street using Microsoft Auto Route. I also see Amalienborg Slotsplads just north of Nyhavn. I assume that is the Castle you mention where the Queen is sometimes in residence.

I don’t see Rosenborg Castle but I do see Kongens Have right off Kongens street and I understand the castle is in that area.

I read somewhere that the cruise ship dock is very close to The Little Mermaid. I found some piers about 200 meters north of “Den Lille Havfrue.” Do you know if this is where a ship like Celebrity’s Constellation would dock? Do you know of any other places a large cruise ship might dock in Copenhagen?

Its always nice to know where we dock in advance so we can plan our day. We will arrive there next May at 5pm on the 9th and leave at 5pm the next day. It looks like we could keep ourselves quite busy right around there.

Hi John and Betty,

Yes, you found the restaurant Peder Oxe on Grabrodreyorv. I mention this restaurant because it is a popular restaurant for outside dining for lunch. Also, any restaurant or cafe along Nyhavn should be fun for outside dining during daylight hours. Or, Nyhavn is a good place for a drink and a rest to people watch.

Yes, Amalienborg Slotsplads is north of Nyhavn, a very close walk. Amalienborg is the name of the palace. The word Slot means castle or palace, and plads means courtyard. So translated, it's Amalienborg palace courtyard. Changing of the guard takes place a noon, and I believe there is a museum, and a tour in English at 1 pm of one of the mansions. The changing of the guard is more elaborate when the Queen is in residence, when she is not, it's still very interesting to watch. You can walk all around on the courtyard which is the center area surrounted by four identical mansions. The entrance of each mansion is guarted by a soldier dressed simular to those in Buckingham Palace. However, Amalienborg is not gated.

Rosenborg is an older palace/castle and not used as a residence. It's a museum, and in the, well, let's call it a basement since I don't the proper term, are the crown jewels. And yes, Rosenborg is in Kongens Have, translated, The Kings Garden.

Yes, the cruise ships do dock near the Little Mermaid, in Danish, Den Lille Havfrue (The little harbor woman.) However, specifically where, hopefully someone else can verfiy. I seem to remember ships docked on the wall along the channel between Nyhavn and the Little Mermaid, but I believe these may have been ferries to other cities in Scandanavia. I believe the cruise ships dock north fo the Littel Mermaid, exactly as you indiated. There is a train station where you can take the S Tog, or S train, to Copenhagen, or other cities to the north. The closest station looks to be Osterport station. However, Copenhagen really is a walking city so a train may not be necessary, all depends on how much walking you want to do. I guess maybe I would recommend the train.

I trust you will visit Tivoli, and I recommend visiting in the evening. Dinner is also a great idea in Tivoli, but obviously dinner is served on the ship as well.

I also recommend taking a canal tour, it last about an hour, and can be picked up in Nyhavn. Information during the trip will be conducted in several languages, including English. The Danish Parliment takes place in Christainborg palace. There are tour in English at 11, 1 and 3 pm. However, I am not sure what all is covered on the tours. I'd also recommend going up the roundtower which is on a walking street, just off Stroget, called Kobmagergade. It's not far from Peder Oxe restaurant, and the closest train station is Norreport station.

It appears you are doing very well with finding where things are in the city of Copenhagen. There really is a lot to see and do, below are some web sites that may help in your research.

Here are some interesting web sites.

This one is to a cool interactive map.

http://www.w2g.dk/default.asp?ArtFolder=477&tpl=28&flash=1&location

For the canal tours, http://www.canaltours.com

Copenhagen This Week http://www.ctw.dk

Danish castles and palaces http://www.ses.dk/english.php

General tourist web site http://www.visitdenmark.com

Copenhagen tourist web site http://www.aok.dk/section/english

Pictures of Copenhagen http://www.copenhagenpictures.dk

Wonderful Copenhagen web site http://www.copenhageneventures.dk/composite-20.htm

Hi John and Betty, I checked out your photos link. Good pictures and I was impressed to see your map of Copenhagen. Don't forget to add Tivoli, Radhusplasen (the city hall town square), and Stroget, the famous shopping street.

High Steve,

Thanks for the compliment on the photos and the map. I figured out how to post maps to my web site once and haven’t been able to do it again since. Something about the suffix or the address I think.

Auto Route does not show Tivoli per se. Is it by any chance in the area bordered by the Ostre Anlaeg park and Kongens Have near the State Museum of Fine Arts? I’ve been to the Tivoli web site and several of the ones you so kindly listed and can’t find a street address or any way to locate it.

Tivoli is actually very easy to find. It is right by and I think accross the street from the main train station. The main streets intersecting Tivoli are Vesterbrogade and Bernstorffsgade. The main entrance is on Vesterbrogade. If you do a zoom up on you map, you may find this block to be shaded like that of a park. There is also a very small lake within this block.

Although I highly recommend enjoying dinner in Tivoli, despite the fact that you already have a paid for dinner on your cruise, I do want to warn that restaurants can be expensive in Copenhagen. There are about 30 restaurants in Tivoli, so I guess it all depends on where you choose to dine, but it's pretty much all expensive. Just need to be aware of that going in. Tivoli is a beautiful place. Don't expect or compare it to any major US amusement park. It's no Disneyland, but still a fun and beautiful place. Tivoli is over 400 years old, amusement parks we're not too big back then, so don't expect Tivoli to be enormous, it's not. It's just a cozy park, many restaurants, and venues for entertainment, many lights in the evening, yes, some rides, and a great place for people watching. Expect a cozy evening, not Mickey Mouse, and you'll have a wonderful time.

Archived