South America, around the horn cruise photo gallery

BPCooper

We have never cruised before and have decided to try to do a South America cruise around the Horn in early 2009. Is there any advantage to going from Buenos Aries to Santiago or the reverse?? Do most folks usually purchase directly through the cruise line, online, or go through travel agents or what?? What the advantages or disadvantages of both? Thank you for any tips you can give us Newbies! JuneauGal

This itinerary is realing fascinating. You will see alot of beautiful scenery and alot of wildlife. We are dong the Buenos Aires to Santiago only because on that particular date for NCL it was alot cheaper. Otherwise I didn't care if the itinerary was in the reverse. I thought I saw a previous posting that there was some sort of charge for flying home from Buenas Aires p/p but I don't have the information on that.

We always use a travel agent. They could give you a better deal and if you have any problems they should handle it for you. We used the NCL credit card and just got $1500.00 off our cruise after turning in our points.

We charge everything we can every month, pay it off at the end of every month, (cc doesn't amke a cent off of us) and then we we have enough points, send away for them and they send you certificates. From there you send them to NCL (fedex) and then they credit you the money off.

This is out second almost free cruise in two years.

Hope this helps.:)

BP...thank you so much for posting these incredible pictures. I am in awe. DH and I are on the Dec 7 sailing of the NCL Sun. I am now really looking forward to the trip. I was really bummed because I am not getting to see my beloved Antarctica and the excursion is out of my range right now. But after seeing your photographs I am looking forward to the trip.

Thank you so much.

BTW, are you a professional photographer? If not, is your talent just natural or have you had classes?

Hi Ben...another question.

You said some of your pictures were taken with a Nikon D40. For someone just starting out with a SLR, is this a good camera? Will it get decent close ups and zooms?

Thanks.

Yes, the D40 is a good camera to start with for SLRs. Closeups and zooms when using an SLR camera is based on what lens you buy, and you can guy lenses for it. The lens it comes with (the 18-55mm usually), if you get the package, is mainly for wide angle and regular shots but no zooms.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us, BP. My DH and I are now really looking forward to our trip on the Norwegian Sun in December.

Can I ask what lens(es) you were using? My DH shoots a Nikon D80 with an 18-135 mm lens. I'm thinking this trip will be a good excuse for us to get a bigger lens.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us, BP. My DH and I are now really looking forward to our trip on the Norwegian Sun in December.

Can I ask what lens(es) you were using? My DH shoots a Nikon D80 with an 18-135 mm lens. I'm thinking this trip will be a good excuse for us to get a bigger lens.

I would say that is a good lens overall, actually. I rarely felt I needed more than 135 but the three lenses I brought with me were a 10-20, 24-70 and 80-200. I probably used the 10-20 range more than I did 135-200.

Ben,

Your pictures were incredible. I hope you don't mind, I put the link on our CC Feb 1 Infinity sailings thread. Come and visit us. We have lots of questions for you. I would love to know who you booked your tours with. If you don't feel comfortable printing them here, maybe you could email them to me at camp12345bell@sbcglobal.net. Did you book any with a cruise. Karen

Ben,

Your pictures were incredible. I hope you don't mind, I put the link on our CC Feb 1 Infinity sailings thread. Come and visit us. We have lots of questions for you. I would love to know who you booked your tours with. If you don't feel comfortable printing them here, maybe you could email them to me at camp12345bell@sbcglobal.net. Did you book any with a cruise. Karen

Thanks. Actually, I booked all my ship tours with NCL. Where is the thread?

WOW!

We are cruising late January on Amsterdam (HAL) from Santiago to Rio, with cruise by and stop at...many of these places at the south end of South America and the northern portions of AA, during our 20 days.

Booked with Costco Travel. Such a pain to get answers from them or even HAL.

Noticed on at least a couple tours everyone seemed dressed similar. Did the parkas and boots come from the tour company, ship or ?

What "special" clothing are others planning to take on their trip? Especially footwear?

WOW!

We are cruising late January on Amsterdam (HAL) from Santiago to Rio, with cruise by and stop at...many of these places at the south end of South America and the northern portions of AA, during our 20 days.

Booked with Costco Travel. Such a pain to get answers from them or even HAL.

Noticed on at least a couple tours everyone seemed dressed similar. Did the parkas and boots come from the tour company, ship or ?

What "special" clothing are others planning to take on their trip? Especially footwear?

Hi there, some of the tour companies provide water/windproof parkers. Hurtigruten does (blue or red, my trip was blue), so does A&K and Regent (red I think). Tours that provide landings usually provide wellies or gumboots as they need to be disinfected everytime you enter and leave the ship, and also need to be above the ankle in height. As per the parkas, both companies I've sailed/about to sail with provide wellies.

This past December-January, I took the cruise from Santiago to BA around the horn on the Norwegian Dream. At either end of the trip I also visited Torres del Paine and Iguazu Falls.

I have finally finished putting together a big photo gallery from my trip. I figured anyone who is going to take this trip, or considering, and who might want to get an idea visually of what it's like might be interested in seeing. And of course if you went you might be, too! I hope people will find this useful. In my planning for trips I always like to look up others' photos, and I remember going through some flickr galleries I had found here.

Just got finished viewing your fantastic pictures - Wow !! sure hope what

we see will be half as great. Where did you see the penquins again??

Was it a tour though the ship or did you do this on your own?? If so,

could you provide the tour operator and contact info, please? ;)

Just got finished viewing your fantastic pictures - Wow !! sure hope what

we see will be half as great. Where did you see the penquins again??

Was it a tour though the ship or did you do this on your own?? If so,

could you provide the tour operator and contact info, please? ;)

Thanks. I only did the ship tours during the cruise. Penguins were seen at Puerto Madryn and the Falklands. In one of the above posts I described the tours I did.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for posting your great photos. We are taking the Norwegian Sun on this cruise in Feb. 2009. If the weather is clear, is it possible to see the mountains of Torres del Paine from the ship? The flight seeing trips are expensive. Pluse we live in a mountainous, glaciated area, so wondering if we should spend the money.

Thanks,

Rose (JuneauGal)

Thank you for posting your great photos. We are taking the Norwegian Sun on this cruise in Feb. 2009. If the weather is clear, is it possible to see the mountains of Torres del Paine from the ship? The flight seeing trips are expensive. Pluse we live in a mountainous, glaciated area, so wondering if we should spend the money.

Thanks,

Rose (JuneauGal)

No, it is not possible. Torres del Paine is not near the cruise route and you must take an excursion or separate trip inland to see it. (I know, they use Torres del Paine as the main cruise advertisement photo).

• 4 weeks later...
This past December-January, I took the cruise from Santiago to BA around the horn on the Norwegian Dream. At either end of the trip I also visited Torres del Paine and Iguazu Falls.

I have finally finished putting together a big photo gallery from my trip. I figured anyone who is going to take this trip, or considering, and who might want to get an idea visually of what it's like might be interested in seeing. And of course if you went you might be, too! I hope people will find this useful. In my planning for trips I always like to look up others' photos, and I remember going through some flickr galleries I had found here.

absolutely fantastic

thank you, thank you, thank you.

left Van. Canada mid Jan for FL, leaving MIA for BA/Iguazu 10days prior to boarding NCL Sun from BA to SLC, then another 10 days Machu Picchu/Lake Titicaca. Will retrace your steps footprint by footprint, almost.

Thanks again for sharing eyes that SEE.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for sharing your great and complete photo show with us. Could you give me some additional information. How big of a lens was necessary for the penguin shots up close? Will a 200mm do it or will I have to take along my 400mm?

Thank you for sharing your great and complete photo show with us. Could you give me some additional information. How big of a lens was necessary for the penguin shots up close? Will a 200mm do it or will I have to take along my 400mm?

Thanks. I had an 80-200mm lens with me for those closeups. We got pretty close.

Hi, thank you so much for sharing your photos...they are great. We are taking this cruise on NCL Sun Jan 31 2010, I hope you don't mind, if I post the link to your website on our roll call. Are the lenses Nikkor? And can you tell me the speed? Also, did you take a tripod? Thanks, Maria

i loved your picturew. We are taking this cruise except for antartica in nov. with the veedam. Did you take the boat excursions or on your own thanks Maddy

Archived