US Customs Direct question

Thanks for all the good information but I still have a question concerning customs direct process. We meet all the criteria, arrival time, passport, RCCL bus transfers etc. but when I call Customs Direct they say the cruise line has to send everything ahead of time and then you are approved, however when I talk to RCCL they say just follow the sign to customs direct. Does anyone know exactly the process. I have already gone to the sight and we meet all the criteria. Now what. Thanks, Janice

Thanks for all the good information but I still have a question concerning customs direct process. We meet all the criteria, arrival time, passport, RCCL bus transfers etc. but when I call Customs Direct they say the cruise line has to send everything ahead of time and then you are approved, however when I talk to RCCL they say just follow the sign to customs direct. Does anyone know exactly the process. I have already gone to the sight and we meet all the criteria. Now what. Thanks, Janice

Janice;

This a very usefull but little understood service and particualrly it seems by agents in call centres. So I would advise you to keep trying, because you are certainly not getting good information from RCCL so far. If you are moving from airport to cruise ship from what I know you do need to purchase a ship's transfer in advance and then you will be met in the luggage area of YVR by an RCCL representative and directed to the US Direct program. You will be asked to identify your luggage and then you and your bags will be taken directly to a bus and driven to the cruise terminal in what is kind of an "in bond" situation. If you are moving from ship to YVR then you make your arrangements onboard at the pursers desk and it is the reverse of what I have described.

Thank you for the input. I have purchased the transfers and we meet all the requirements. RCCL said that all we need to do at the airport is go with the RCCL rep. and show all of the required documents. I know we need the luggage tags on etc. so I hope it all turns out as planned. Janice

If you are using US Direct, you do NOT go through Canada customs. This is VERY important. When you arrive in YVR you follow the signs to US Direct. The signs look like this:

usdirect.gif

The conditions to participate are:

o participate in US Direct, you must meet the following requirements:

• US Citizen or Permanent US Resident status
  • Arrive in Vancouver on a direct flight from the United States prior to 2:30pm on the day of sailing
  • Possess an airport to pier bus transfer
    If you do not hold a bus transfer, please contact your travel agent prior to departure
  • Place ship baggage tags on your checked baggage prior to airline check-in
    Guests in need of additional baggage tags should contact their travel agent prior to departure. If you do not pre-tag your baggage you will not be eligible to participate.

Essentially you are transfered "in bond" before you enter Canada (hence not going through Canada customs) and you are delivered at the point past US customs at Vancouver's port, since you never really left the US.

In the other direction, they take you from the ship "in bond" before you are allowed to enter Canada and deliver you to the airport's US departure lounge.

Archived