Buenos Aires & Santiago hotels

AKletzelman

We are sailing Celebrity Buenos Aires To Santiago in January and are looking for recommendations for reasonably priced, centrally located hotels in both cities for our pre & post cruise nights. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

We are sailing Celebrity Buenos Aires To Santiago in January and are looking for recommendations for reasonably priced, centrally located hotels in both cities for our pre & post cruise nights. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Are you sailing with us on January 4th?? The Dakar Rally is taking place in Argentina and Chile starting in BA on January 3. Just google Dakar rally to find the website to get the route and precise dates.

Please be more specific about price range. My idea of reasonable and yours may be quite different.

In the meantime, a number of hotels have been talked about in South America forum. Searching on the word hotel may help locate them.

Hello everyone, My husand and are taking the Dec.7th cruise on RCL from BA down to Horn with final dest. Sau Paulo. Our stay in BA will be at the Portal del Sur. It is located in the Central area on Hipolito Yrigoyen, only a few blocks from the Plaza de Mayo. I stayed here a few years ago and just loved it. Here is why:

$57.00 for a private room w/bathroom

Cable TV

Continental breafast

Free internet access

Free activties every day: i.e. tango lessons, salsa/merengue as well.

They have a terrace overlooking city where on certain days they have BBQ's.

This is a fun fun place to meet other travelers--young and old (I'm 62). However, it is a hostel and not a fancy hotel--but full of charm.

Check out their webpage.

GalvezCruiser:

What's the noise level at this hostel?

Do they arrange transfers from the airport?

Do they have non-smoking private rooms?

Are you able to lock-up your possessions while staying there?

Can luggage be (safely) stored there for a few days between stays?

thanks.

Let me see if I can answer your questions?

What's the noise level at this hostel?

I don't remember any problems with noise. I traveled with a friend who was from Tucuman (N-Argentina) and it was a July visit. We spent each evening in the dining room with other travelers--teachers from the US, travelers from Israel, Australia, and others from Argentina. We drank mate, listened to musicians playing their guitar and singing Mercedes Sosa, talking politics and other interesting topics. It was very stimulating for me, but not for all taste.

Do they arrange transfers from the airport?

I'm sure they can help you on this. I used both airports during my stay I used Manuel Tienda Leon taxis from the International airport and then a regular taxis from Jorge Newbery airport.

Do they have non-smoking private rooms?

Not sure. Send them an email on this one.

Are you able to lock-up your possessions while staying there?

You can send them an email on this. I don't travel with anything that I need to lock up so I don't remember. I remember that they kept our luggage on our return flight day because we had a lot of extra time before flight.

Can luggage be (safely) stored there for a few days between stays?

I can't speak to "a few days".

Hope this helps!!!

thanks.

GalvezCruiser:

Thanks for the reply; I'll contact Portal del Sur with my other questions.

By any chance have you stayed at the hostel in Iguazu? It's located about half way between the town of Iguazu and the National Park where the falls are.

john

Hello JEBurton

Yes, we stayed in Puerto Iguazu at the Hotel St. George. It was clean and nice with a good restaurant. I believe we made reservations while in Argentina via web and email. try hotelsaintgeorge.com. I don't remember how much we paid but it was not over US$50. I liked the small town feel of Puerto Iguazu. To get to the Parque National we took a bus for about a US 1$. It was real easy to get around. And of course the Iguazu Falls are beyond description. I hope to go back there one day.

Good luck JEBurton

Archived