Options out of Baltimore - opinions please

Bonnie, that ittenary does not please me as much as Bermuda! I have done those ports too many times, I guess. Now if the Majesty would do Bermuda from Charleston in October I would want to do that!

Not in October, but a few to Bermuda from Charleston in May 09.

You'll have to check but I think the Majesty does Bermuda from Charleston in September. This year her 1st few were from Charleston. Don't know what she'll be doing next year or when she's leaving NCL.

We lived most of our lives in Annapolis and just 2 years ago moved to Cambridge on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have not cruised out of Baltimore yet and we do not want to do the 12 hours down the Chesapeake Bay. We will probably try it some time. So far we have always flown to FLL or Miami. But now that they airlines are so terrible, not just their fares, but everything about them we are looking even closer into the CCL Pride. We are NOT fans of CCL at all, we love Celebrity. We are going to sail on the Pride to the Mexican Riviera March of 2009. It seems like a very nice ship. It is not the ships of CCL that we dislike it is the food and service and the crowds that we dislike, mostly the bad service.

Do you know what part of Maryland you will be moving to? I hope you like living in Maryland.

We lived most of our lives in Annapolis and just 2 years ago moved to Cambridge on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have not cruised out of Baltimore yet and we do not want to do the 12 hours down the Chesapeake Bay. We will probably try it some time. So far we have always flown to FLL or Miami. But now that they airlines are so terrible, not just their fares, but everything about them we are looking even closer into the CCL Pride. We are NOT fans of CCL at all, we love Celebrity. We are going to sail on the Pride to the Mexican Riviera March of 2009. It seems like a very nice ship. It is not the ships of CCL that we dislike it is the food and service and the crowds that we dislike, mostly the bad service.

Do you know what part of Maryland you will be moving to? I hope you like living in Maryland.

We will be northeast of Baltimore - know exactly where we are headed for a few years until we decide where to call home in retirement. I am Bay baby, love the eastern shore and sailing the Chesapeake. Of course, that is on a boat, not a ship....and under sail, not power except when necessary getting in and out of harbors and berths.

And Annapolis is a lot of fun. Dad used to sail us up little old Ego Alley and expected his crew to execute a nice sharp 180.....I preferred sitting outside at the bar of the Marriott and watching the boats and people. And midshipmen.:D

Not in October, but a few to Bermuda from Charleston in May 09.

I know. I do wish they would do one or 2 after they reposition before they start the Bahamas cruises for the winter. I have no desire to go to Freeport and Nassau. I have been to both too many times!

• 2 weeks later...

Did the 9 Night caribbean on the Grandeur out of Baltimore last year Oct /2008. We were a group of 6 ranging in age from 3 to 65. We all had a blast. The Grandeur is beautiful and the atmosphere is gorgeous. She is smaller then the mega ship but is big enough to be appreciated. The staff is stellar and the marble and detail in the ship is a must see.

Majesty is one of the last of NCL's older, smaller size ship-- she has none of the glitz the newer behemoths have --but do people really need to ice skate, wander through malls, or rock climb on a ship? The big difference is that, if you choose Bermuda, Majesty spends three nights in St. George's -- the larger ships cannot clear the cut into St. George's and go to Hamilton and/or Dockyard (West End). Hamilton is busy and noisy, and Dockyard is little more than a tourist trap; while St. George's is an attractive smaller town - and as Bermuda is not too big, you don't have far to go to get anywhere.

When you are on a ship like Majesty, you are one of perhaps 1,500 passengers -- on the larger ships, you may be one of perhaps 3,500 -- if there is another ship the same size arriving at the same time, you are part of a mob of maybe 7,000 hitting Hamilton or Dockyard .

I understand Majesty will be retired in late 2009 or 2010 -- hopefully Holland America might fill the St. George's slot.

Archived