Vertigo

Back in Oct. I got hit with a bad case of vertigo. It was bad enough that my eyes spun, I was in the hospital for 2 days, and in bed for 2 1/2 weeks. The dr. told me I would be more prone to it now. I hadn't really experienced it again until recently, probably because the wheaather is warm and I'm out. Anyway, yesterday I got dizzy on a very slow moving dock (among other things lately) enough that I had to put my arms out for balance and slowly get off. I know that there are things for seasickness and I plan on seeing my dr. about this, but I was wondering if there are any other cruisers who have experienced serious vertigo and how you hanlded it? Did it slow you down or prevent you from doing any activities? This is prety new to me and I don't want it to take control of my vacation

My sister has meniere's disease which she experienced vertigo back in

2004 after a family cruise. She has on/off occurences and never knows

when an attack will occur. So sounds so familiar..she just goes to bed

and takes her meclazene which is like dramamine or bonine for motion

sickness. Unfortunately for her its a chronic disease too. She says when

she really watches her sodium intake she seems to have less episodes.

We all went on a cruise in December and she did great and had a wonderful

time. She also just read about keep her blood sugar level and tries not

to go too long in between eating which causes episodes as well. I feel for

you. I don't think people understand how debilitating it can be. Take care

I also suffer from meniere's disease and it can be scary! It doesn't strike during cruises, but just any weird time. For me, has nothing to do with motion what so ever.

See your doctor and ask these very good questions - let them know you are concerned about your cruise.

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) is an imbalance or rocking sensation that occurs after exposure to motion (most commonly after a sea cruise or a flight).

from

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/39348.php

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome - A Life on the Ocean Wave

from

http://www.sailtales.co.uk/st-tales-article-22557.html

A support page for people with MDDS

from

http://www.etete.com/mdd/

Thanks for all the info. My first episode happened a few hours after painting so I wasn't even moving and I have flown since with no problems. I was on mecclazine b4, maybe I'll see the dr. and try it out. I live on Long Island so I do have opportunity to be out on the ocean.

Ask your ENT dr about the Epley and Semont maneuvers if either of these would be appropriate for you. I think I read that they are 80% effective.

With vertigo always need to rule out no other medical conditions are the cause.

This has to do with BPPV if that is what you have. Ear crystals and repositioning maneuvers.

Also they can do transtymphanic medication delivery to treat this if indicated.

DH has had dizziness both times associated with cruising. The first cruise had one night that was a little rough. The second cruise was smooth. First time started during cruising. Second time 2 weeks after we got back with a sudden onset with extreme dizziness/vomiting. He did have an ear infection also the second time but no fluid. Took Valium as often prescribed with dizziness, steroids, decongestants with the antibxs but the vertigo took it sweet time slowly improving...lasted 2 months. BTW he used the patch with both cruises.

We cancelled our cruise to Caribbean in Oct due to this. He had bad ear pain with both flights to Florida pre cruise. DH associates the trigger with the flights. Don't know. We are going to drive to LA for the Mariner cruise in Feb 09 and see if he gets dizzy.

I am going to study up on this before our next cruise in Feb. May take him to a doctor that is familiar with all of this. Not all seem to be.

DH says if he gets dizzy with this next cruise he will never cruise again. I don't blame him.

Good luck.

Laura

When originally in the ER, the doctor made me drop my head off the back of the tabel, then she moved it around a bit and made me sit up( Yes, seems strange) but she said it was for balance. It didn't help. Flying doesn't trigger it for me and it's never really lasted long (except for the 1st time). It happened on a school trip. We walked into th imax dome at The Liberty Science Center in N.J The teacher had to take me out because I couldn't walk straight.(Anyone can get dizzy in there). It really concerned me when I couldn't stand straight on the dock yesterday scince it was barley even moving. Just don't want ot ruin my cruise.. I'll definately get ins. now. Thanks for everyones help.

When originally in the ER, the doctor made me drop my head off the back of the tabel, then she moved it around a bit and made me sit up( Yes, seems strange) but she said it was for balance. It didn't help. Flying doesn't trigger it for me and it's never really lasted long (except for the 1st time). It happened on a school trip. We walked into th imax dome at The Liberty Science Center in N.J The teacher had to take me out because I couldn't walk straight.(Anyone can get dizzy in there). It really concerned me when I couldn't stand straight on the dock yesterday scince it was barley even moving. Just don't want ot ruin my cruise.. I'll definately get ins. now. Thanks for everyones help.

I had an episode of vertigo at the beginning of the year. After some tests (I think he did an MRI of the ear canals) my doctor found I had fluid and infection in my ear in an odd place. He put me on antibiotics and it cleared it up. You might want to see an ENT and see if it is something in the ears.

At times it did remind me of my college days (LOL).

I had woke up with Vertigo one morning, which my ENT said was caused by calcium crystals that dislodged in my inner ear. The doctor did the Epley manuever. After, he told me not to lie down flat for three days, so that the crystals would not drift back into that area. I had to sleep at a 45 degree angle. I was also told not to turn my head quickly to the side (like you would crossing an intersection while driving - so I didn't even drive). I had no problem for about a year, and then had another episode. The second episode happened a few days after traveling by airplane, which I thought might be the cause. I had the Epley manuever again, but this time it took about a month for the spinning sensation to be completely gone.

I was fearful that Vertigo would rear it's ugly head again the next time I flew, but I have flown three times and have been on one cruise since then with no problem. On our last cruise we even had 13-20 foot swells, I did feel a little motion for a few days after the cruise had ended, but it was definitely not the room completely spinning around like with the Vertigo.

I'm sure anxiety doesn't help, so I try not to worry too much about it. I'm hoping I won't have a problem on my next cruise, but I tend to think that really it could strike again at any time (like before), and if it strikes on the cruise it will be most likely a coincidence.

Be very, very careful using the patch. If you read the literature, it has many side effects including post-removal withdrawal symptoms. I'm very prone to motion sickness and used the patch several years ago. I read the instructions very carefully and kept the patch on for several days post-cruise to give my body time to acclimate to a non-motion environment. Within 24 hours of removing the patch, I was flat on my back with severe vertigo. The dr prescribed meclizine which worked, but it took over a week to finally feel normal. I've taken Bonine for subsequent cruises and have had no adverse reactions whatsoever.

Archived