Asking for another Weather Update!

widehunters3

Hello everyone,

We leave this Saturday and naturally I'm nervous about the weather. I have packed several items to layer and gloves.

I'm looking for words of encouragement....Please tell me that it didn't rain the whole time. Looking at the forecast in every city & port it looks like another 10 days of clouds and RAIN.

We all six of us have rain gear. Have most needed to wear this daily?

Please tell me about the current weather conditions!!!

Thanks

We finished our cruise in Vancouver on Sunday. The weather stayed pretty consistent for our cruise except the Sunday we left (nice enough to use the pool and sit out) and the Saturday we came back (some people sat out in bathing suits). About 10 degrees and rainy, cloudy.

In Ketchikan they told us they get rain about 260 days of the year, and as expected, it rained the whole day. Just put on your rain gear and enjoy it anyway.....I found out the hard way that rain proofing a jacket wasn't the same as an actual rain proof jacket! But I didn't let it slow me down. True, I was soaked when I got back on the ship, but still had a great day.

The weather in Juneau was better, just a little rain. In Skagway it was better again, only clouds.

I didn't bother with my splash pants, and only used my hat & gloves the day we went up the Tracey Arm to the Sawyer Glacier.

Hope that helps...

Hello everyone,

We leave this Saturday and naturally I'm nervous about the weather. I have packed several items to layer and gloves.

I'm looking for words of encouragement....Please tell me that it didn't rain the whole time. Looking at the forecast in every city & port it looks like another 10 days of clouds and RAIN.

Thanks

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_weather.asp?PageID=482

Bring the clothing you will need to enjoy Alaska even if there is bone-chilling cold and drenching rain...that way you will have a great cruise no matter what! We only had one day of really torrential rain (in Kodiak)...but did have several days of intermittant showers and mist, and a few days with brilliant sunshine (some calm, some with a brisk wind). If you have both insulating and windproof/waterproof layers, you will be prepared for anything!

Thanks for responding. We leave bright and early saturday from St. Louis. I didn't sleep at all last night. I'm anxious, excited and worried all in the same.

We all have RAIN Gear and I packed my gloves and scarf. I can handle some rain, just not so sure about it everyday. Trying to Think positive...... it will all be okay!

So when is this storm going to move out of the area???

We are going glacier hiking this Sunday. I have my fingers crossed and saying a little prayer also!!!

Keep the encouraging words coming!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for responding. We leave bright and early saturday from St. Louis. I didn't sleep at all last night. I'm anxious, excited and worried all in the same.

We all have RAIN Gear and I packed my gloves and scarf. I can handle some rain, just not so sure about it everyday. Trying to Think positive...... it will all be okay!

So when is this storm going to move out of the area???

We are going glacier hiking this Sunday. I have my fingers crossed and saying a little prayer also!!!

Keep the encouraging words coming!!!!!!!!!

Actually just learned a new weather term with this storm that moved in. We're having a rain event. Basically it's raining all over the State of Alaska. They said the only place that may see a little sun today is the Ketchikan/Craig area.

At this point, they are talking the next two days for this event and if it gets stuck who knows. Actually right now it's pouring in Anchorage and has been all night!

Susan in Anchorage :)

We just returned from the Coral on Monday. Yes, we did have more rain than expected. When we left Vancouver it was gorgeous--70's and sunny. The next day at sea was clear but chilly. We didn't go outside much. Ketchikan was rainy---in fact I think you would call it a downpour at times--but we put on our rain gear and saw all that Ketchikan had to offer. Juneau was light rain and mist in town but dry up at Mendenhall glacier. Temperatures probably in the low 50's. Skagway was a light rain as well in the morning and then dryer in the afternoon. Oddly enough, our warmest days were the glacier viewing days (we were expecting these days to be the coldest). We were able to be up on deck with only a light jacket.

I worried myself to death before the trip just as you are doing. I think the key here is to chill out. The weather is what it is and even in the worst case scenario, it's not that bad as long as you have packed layers and waterproof jackets with hoods. Don't stress out about whether you are packing enough warm clothes. We found that anything we might have needed was for sale either on board ship or in port at prices that were below what we would have paid at home. Pull up your hoods and enjoy your cruise!

Hello everyone,

Thanks

My advice ... ignore the weather forecasts. They'll have something in the right general ballpark for the next 24-48 hours ... beyond that, use a magic 8-ball instead ... it'll be at least as accurate, and less stressful.

For packing, just prepare for the worst, then be pleasantly surprised when it turns out better. The key is to bring layers and an outer waterproof layer, so you can add/remove as needed depending upon what you actually experience for weather.

Right up to the night before we left our our Alaskan cruise a few weeks ago, the forecast had been for rain for the entire week... what we actually experienced was rain in the morning at Glacier Bay, clearing to sunny blue sky as we approached Marjorie Glacier - as well as a sunny blue sky all the next day in Juneau (forecast before we left had shown thunderstorms in Juneau that day). Sitka saw clouds, and one or two drops - but not enough to call it rain. Ketchikan was cloudy, with a light drizzle that started an hour or so before we left port (the storm did build a bit as we left Ketchikan, so the outside decks were closed that evening). So the forecast was right for half of two days ... the rest was better than what we had initially seen in the forecast before we left.

We have our fingers crossed for the best! We have done alot of planning and saving for the last two years. We will have fun no matter what!!!

Rainpants and Jackets packed for all six of us. Each of us grabbed one pair of shorts, for the nice sunny day.

Glacier Hiking, Halibut Fishing, Zipline, here we come!!!!

Thanks

Here's another website to check for weather http://www.wunderground.com/

Look for the "Trip Planner" link towards the top-right of the page. Type in the city or port. It gives both current and historic weather for the day. Helps with both immediate and future trip planning.

Enjoy your trip - "It's not poor weather...it's poor clothing choices."

If you have the clothing to keep you warm, you will have a wonderful time. I am in Denali writing this and it is 47 and wind blowing at least 45 miles an hour. We did see a peak of Denali at 11 PM last night. Doubt that we will see it in the next two days unless the wind blows all the rain and clouds away.

This is still a beautiful country and can be enjoyed in all weather. The key is layering, which cannot be stressed enough.

Janice

hey everyone we leave for alaska in 2 weeks and im wondering if it would be ok to go with a waterproof jacket and some umbrellas?

would that be good enough? or should i get us some ponchos?

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

melissa

hey everyone we leave for alaska in 2 weeks and im wondering if it would be ok to go with a waterproof jacket and some umbrellas?

thanks

melissa

I live here in Anchorage but took the Sapphire this year and I only took a waterproof jacket but I did have a fleece vest to go under it to help keep me warm. My jacket had a hood so I didn't take an umbrella.

OutsideTemp.jpg

Anchorage.gif

hugesize.jpg?camera=2&dxi=995296850

I called our local phone number for the temperature and it's still saying 56 and it's still raining.......I mean I'm sitting here looking out the window at the drops falling into the puddles.

As was already posted, the weather is what it is. Our forecast was for clouds and rain and we had clouds and rain except for a heavenly day in Glacier Bay. We also had some nice weather on land in Talkeetna. After 18 days in Alaska I was a bit tired of being cold. It was never that shivering cold, since I came prepared, but I was never totally comfy. I think we all read about the people who said their forecast was for rain the whole week and they had a beautiful week of sunshine and no rain. We all want it to turn out like that for us.

The key is to have a good waterproof jacket and shoes as far as I am concerned. Waterpants would be nice depending what you are doing and how bad the rain is. I wore wind pants and my DH wore jeans. Since we had no downpours and didn't do an serious hiking in the rain, we were good.

Alaska is beautiful in both the rain and the clouds. Naturally I enjoyed it more in the sun, but it is still a beautiful state that you will enjoy despite the weather. You sound prepared and that is all you can do. I read this site, brought along what was recommened for weather, and really appreciated all that input. In spite of the rain we had a great time.

Anchorage.gif

hugesize.jpg?camera=2&dxi=995296850

I called our local phone number for the temperature and it's still saying 56 and it's still raining.......I mean I'm sitting here looking out the window at the drops falling into the puddles.

All the gauges state 56 degrees, hello.:p

All the gauges state 56 degrees, hello.:p

Sorry I just kept seeing the 60 on the Underground one. All I know is, where in the heck is our summer? The way it's been going, I'll be surprised if we don't get snow in August :eek: :eek: and I just don't mean termination dust either!

thanks

melissa

Whatever you do, DON'T take umbrellas. For one thing they are a waste of suitcase space in this era of paying to pack. For another, it can get pretty briskly breezy and they will turn inside out on you. A rain jacket or poncho is a far better bet.

Archived