Please HELP with CANON sx100 is SOFTWARE and downloading pics

Hi,I bought a canon camera and downloaded the CD that came with the SX 100IS .I figured out how to get the pics onto the zoombrowser i think it is called. I am having trouble figuring out how to move the pictures into a file or ?? and then being able to get them attachd to my email to send them off. As you can tell i am new to the digital camera thing and only had a Olympus from 2001 and used the olympus softare but am going crazy figuring out this canon camera stuff. Any help is appreciated very much.Thanks thesawch from Canada

I'm not familiar with that software...however, usually the software that comes with the cameras will bring up the photos in the 'browser' window, and you should find an icon somewhere on the screen at the top or bottom that you click on to transfer photos from camera to computer. Sometimes, if you move your mouse over each icon and leave it there for a few seconds, a description of that button's function will come up - this might help you figure out if any of those icons are for that function.

There are also some other ways to transfer photos onto a computer without using the software that comes with the cameras.

Both Windows and Apple computers have built-in photo and file downloaders that should trigger on your machine when you plug in a camera using the USB cable. If you aren't already, try plugging in the camera with the USB cord, and see if you get a Windows (or Apple) popup box asking you if you want to load your photos. If yes, just follow the instructions to name your photos and pick a folder to save them to.

If a program doesn't automatically start, in Windows just go to Windows Explorer, where you see the list of all your computer's files. Your main harddrive is usually assigned the letter C, while CD drives and floppy drives will get letters A, or D. But when you plug in the camera and turn it on, it will actually show up as a drive - whatever the next available letter is on your system. For example, you might see "drive E: USB Device" or something similar. Clicking on that drive name will allow you to open the photo folder where your photos are stored, and then use basic 'click-and-drag' method to copy them into another folder on your harddrive.

Hope one of those methods helps!

Hi,I bought a canon camera and downloaded the CD that came with the SX 100IS .I figured out how to get the pics onto the zoombrowser i think it is called. I am having trouble figuring out how to move the pictures into a file or ?? and then being able to get them attachd to my email to send them off. As you can tell i am new to the digital camera thing and only had a Olympus from 2001 and used the olympus softare but am going crazy figuring out this canon camera stuff. Any help is appreciated very much.Thanks thesawch from Canada

I've never been a big fan of the camera supplied software and find it easier to treat the camera/card as simply a data source for the computer.

Try popping out the SD card and inserting it into either a SD reader, or if your computer has a build in SD slot put it into that. If it is a windows computer, it should automatically open a window asking you if you want to read, browse, or copy the file. You can then either open the folder and select all the pictures and drag or copy them to the file you want.

From there you can edit, resize, and attach the files to another program.

Good luck!

I don't use the software that came with my camera - I use Picasa. It's a free program from Google - do a search for Picasa and you'll find it. Download and install it and you're ready to get the pics from your camera (or scanner). It's also a good photo editor - crop, fix the lighting, turn your shots into black and white, etc. I use it almost exclusively for editing my photos. If you want a more powerful editor that works like Photoshop Elements - get GIMP - also free. ;)

I'm also one who does not use camera manufacture supplied software. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements, but I also use Picasa, mainly for processing and uploading images for email, blogs, etc. For getting images from the camera to the PC, I put the memory card from the camera directly in the card reader on the PC. Never lost a pic... :D

http://picasa.google.com/ ;)

Thanks for the help guys.I have a SD spot on my computer for the SD card.I stick the card in there and nothing happens.

I also went and downloaded the Picasa and i have all my pics on there now.NOW how do i put them into a folder and save them.That part i am not sure.Someone said something about dragging them into a file or something.That part i am lost on .Thanks for the help i do appreciate it.Dale

Thanks for the help guys.I have a SD spot on my computer for the SD card.I stick the card in there and nothing happens.

I also went and downloaded the Picasa and i have all my pics on there now.NOW how do i put them into a folder and save them.That part i am not sure.Someone said something about dragging them into a file or something.That part i am lost on .Thanks for the help i do appreciate it.Dale

How did you download - with the cable on your camera? If you downloaded Picasa and installed it - the program is now on your computer. So if you used Picasa to download your pics using either the cable from your camera or the card reader on your pc they should be in your c drive on your pc. Try this - open Picasa and open up one of the pictures. Go to the top menu - FILE - SAVE AS - to see the location of the files. Picasa sort of picks it's own place to put the files initially - unless you tell it otherwise. Once you know where they are located you can use Windows to move them around (right click on MY COMPUTER on your desktop and choose EXPLORE.

When you install Picasa it searches you computer for images. They are already in folders and "on" you computer. It just locates them and points to them. If you want to see where they are, click on a folder in Picasa and at the top of the display of thumbnails for that folder, click on the little folder icon and it will open an explorer window, showing you the files.

medium.jpg

Here is an article on image organization that I wrote a while ago that references Picasa and another that I wrote for the ongoing phot classes we're doing here in the forum. They may be of help.

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/OrganizeOrDie.htm

http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Class1.htm

Dave

When you install Picasa it searches you computer for images. They are already in folders and "on" you computer. It just locates them and points to them. If you want to see where they are, click on a folder in Picasa and at the top of the display of thumbnails for that folder, click on the little folder icon and it will open an explorer window, showing you the files.

medium.jpg

Here is an article on image organization that I wrote a while ago that references Picasa and another that I wrote for the ongoing phot classes we're doing here in the forum. They may be of help.

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/OrganizeOrDie.htm

http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Class1.htm

Dave

Thanks Dave - I've been doing it the hard way all this time. Great article on organizing. I tend to do it by date but one of these days I should sort by subject so I can find things better.

Judy

I have a Canon A520, when I insert my card, and click upload, the photos go into my Photo Gallery. I click on Documents, and then Pictures, where it shows the latest ones. I then RIGHT CLICK & Rename, RIGHTCLICK again and SEND TO DOCUMENTS. Once in my Documents, any pictures I wish to email are there.

Steps to emailing: Open the Write Mail, at the far right of the row of Icons, you should see a Camera, Click that and then Insert Pictures, this opens up your Documents & all your Pictures, Select the Picture and then Insert, the Picture is placed within the writting area of your screen.

Gay

GLea482968@aol.com

I do happen to use ZoomBrowser for my Canon. I've just gotten used to it, as I've had 3 different Canon digitals over the past 9 years or so.

When ZoomBrowser opens, right click in the window where all your pictures are. Choose "new" and "folder." It will give you the option to name your folder. Then just click on the picture you want in that folder and drag it in there. If there are lots of them, hold down the control (ctrl) button and left click on each picture. Then when they're all highlighted, drag the whole lot into the chose folder.

I'll only mail one or two pictures (as an attachment or inserting them into an HTML e-mail). Other than that, I upload everything into a Webshots album and send out the link to family and friends.

Everyone tends to find something they're comfortable with and stays with that. I used to like Yahoo Photos, but the new one (Flikr?) has me confused!

Hope this helps!

Archived