First Time Cruising with Kids...Advice?

TeacherSus

We're planning a 70th Birthday cruise for my dad in February. While we've cruised many times before, it will be our first time with kids. We'll be traveling with my parents (very active, fun people), my 2 brothers and their families, and out two little girls. The kid breakdown is: 2 three-year-olds, 2 five-year-olds, 2 six-year-olds and a seven-year-old. Here are my questions:

1) We're considering either the five-day Celebrity Century or Norwegian Jewel out of Miami. Comments either way? I'd love specifics on the kids program if you've done them...it seems that all of the kids will be together with the exception of the 7 year-old. I know that most lines won't bump up kids into an older age group, but will they allow a slightly older child to go down a group so she can be with her cousins?

2) Cabin type - While I used to be a pre-kid balcony cruiser, my post-kid vacation budget has shrunk. I've come to realize that I spend very little time in the room and while I love a balcony, I'd rather be able to cruise more often in an inside room! While I want the cruise to be economical, I also want the four of us in a room (five for my Florida brother) to be comfortable. What room types do you choose when cruising with your kids? What are the best set-up options?

3) Is there an option for an "adults-only" dinner while the kids are in the kid zone? What about days in port?

4) Any idea for VERY kid friendly excursions in Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, or Cozumel? Remember, we're talking ages 3-7 here, so by VERY kid friendly I don't mean Stingray City or Dunns River Falls!

Thanks so much for your help! I know this is a long post but you cruise critics are so helpful and I know there are answers out there!

Thanks again,

TeacherSus

Congratulations on your upcoming family cruise. We did something very similar this January -- and loved it so much that we are doing it again this year. I tried to answer each of your questions... I hope it helps some.

1) We're considering either the five-day Celebrity Century or Norwegian Jewel out of Miami. Comments either way? I'd love specifics on the kids program if you've done them...it seems that all of the kids will be together with the exception of the 7 year-old. I know that most lines won't bump up kids into an older age group, but will they allow a slightly older child to go down a group so she can be with her cousins?

We have sailed X before -- loved it -- but it was definately pre-kid. I have no experience with Norweigan. IMHO, I would probably pick a more kid-friendly line: Royal Caribbean, Carnival or even Disney. Also, are the three yo's fully potty trained? If not, I would probably further narrow my search to to the Carnival/RCI ships that have splash areas for kid's not yet trained.

As for the older child bumping down -- in my experience it kind of depends on how many kids are in the programs (time of year) and the staff on your particular sailing. Generally, however they don't really like to bump. :)

2) Cabin type - While I used to be a pre-kid balcony cruiser, my post-kid vacation budget has shrunk. I've come to realize that I spend very little time in the room and while I love a balcony, I'd rather be able to cruise more often in an inside room! While I want the cruise to be economical, I also want the four of us in a room (five for my Florida brother) to be comfortable. What room types do you choose when cruising with your kids? What are the best set-up options?

Again, jmho, I contend that a balcony is even more important with kids! Otherwise my dh and I would be stuck in a dark cabin for naps, early bedtimes, etc. The balcony gives my dh and I some romantic-chatting-watching the sea-ALONE time ... and a little more space. We usually get D1 Balcony cabins -- we haven't had a suite. Even my 2 yo enjoyed the balcony last cruise. He still talks about it.

Another option, is to book two inside rooms that are connecting. Then the kids could have one room and the parents another. Downside is that you will have to pay for two full fares for the second room -- the upside is that you will have two bathrooms, privacy and toys confined to one room!

My son either slept with us or on the pullout couch. We didn't pull it out all the way at night -- so there was plenty of room. With the older kids -- there was fighting over the pullmen bunk beds... THEY LOVED THEM. It slept a family of 4 well that way (of course, they were older than 3 though.)

3) Is there an option for an "adults-only" dinner while the kids are in the kid zone? What about days in port?

We didn't use it on our last cruise -- but yes there is. They have "parties" in AO (RCI) and they also had private sitters (for an additional fee on a limited basis).

4) Any idea for VERY kid friendly excursions in Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, or Cozumel? Remember, we're talking ages 3-7 here, so by VERY kid friendly I don't mean Stingray City or Dunns River Falls!

Grand Caymen -- sorry -- did it prekid / stingray city... LOL.

Ocho Rios -- sorry -- haven't been

Cozumel -- we took a private car to akumal -- LOVELY and pretty quiet -- great beach for toddlers/kids to play -- great snorkling for adults.

HTH!!

I vote for the balcony.

Ocho Rios: HevansScent is a great place for all ages. They have ATV rides, small ziplines and a great family relaxed atmosphere. We tool our kids 5 and 7 at the time. They had a great time with plenty to keep them busy and SAFE.

Grand Cayman: Turtle Farm If you have not been in the last year the new addition is wonderful. It is a big resort park now.

Cozemel: The dune buggies are fun. A family of four fits nicely. Don't think off road, it is all main road. You eat lunch on the beach, snorkel, tour El Cid, and the provide all you can drink for both adult and kids.

A big hint for the family of 5. Book one kid in someone elses room. Parents get a quad and have them stay with their parents. The room stewert will bring and extra cot for them. We did this with no problem. We just explained to our Cabin Stewert that they got scared and would not sleep in the "grand parents" room as planned. They were VERY nice about it. This saved us getting a family suite or booking two rooms. If you are lucky maybe the kids can have sleep overs and give parents a night alone. Our last cruise with my parents I had to beg my kids to sleep in our room.

Archived