4 year old and 14-day BA to Santiago cruise

tigergirl2

Has anyone ever taken a young child on a 14 day cruise to South America? We are considering taking NCL's cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago in December, but would like to take our 4-year old son with us. He has cruised only once before and loved it (7 day W. Carribean), but has traveled with us quite extensively both domesticly and internationally.

Just looking for thoughts, experiences, tips, etc. We have only a few days before we need to make up our minds.

I really can't imagine taking young children on that cruise. Hot to cold to hot again. Could be very rough seas. MUCH older cruisers generally and almost NO kids. Two/three formal nights on most ships. And on two week cruises, the dress code IS generally upheld pretty well.

And the really spectacular excursions involve long drives on bumpy, dusty roads or creaky ferry's across potentially rough seas.

Leave the kids at home with grandma or wait until they are older. There will be very few or NO kids on board. I have been on two SA cruises. The kids program wasn't even open. One cruise had 2 kids-8 and 10. One cruise had 14 children-6 traveling with a nanny. The others were bored to tears. NOT a lot to do-it is too cold to swim for most of the cruise.

I sure wouldn't take a baby on that cruise. IF anything happened, once you leave Santiago, BA or Rio, US quality medical care is difficult to come by. If the baby got sick, ship''s doctors are generally NOT pediatrician's. So medical evac to a foreign hospital in Ushuaia. Not where I would want my baby.

There is one exception to all this-the Xmas cruises are FILLED with SA extended families (including a lot of nannies)

Thank you, greatam. <G>

Jim

PS - Do you have any comments on my latest questions in the thread about staying in Vina, TurBus, etc.

Sorry if I didn't answer. Thought I answered all your questions. I will go look at the other thread.

Archived