Info about Coco cay

25dbb

Is there a map of Coco Cay and it's location in the Bahamas????

How does this island/beach compare to......Labadee or Princess Cays????

How many beach areas are there?? Are they easy to walk to??

Are there covered beach chairs???? Do you tender to Coco Cay??

We have 2 senior citizens going with us on Radiance in November who

both have trouble walking great distances, or over rougher terrain---

will they be able to handle Coco Cay???

dbb25

Coco Cay is not too big & there are beach areas closer to the tender than others. Parts of the walks are "paved" not exactly black top but better than truly uneven ground. I don't remember seeing beach wheel chairs but I seem to remember a golf cart; the crew used it for hauling stuff / supplies but your companions may be able to catch a ride, I would think.

When you say they wouldn't be able to walk great distances, do you think they could walk the length of the ship? If so, I'd give coco cay a try. If not, it will be a lovely day to relax by the pool w/o the crowds.

Cococay is one of the Berry Islands in the Bahamas, they are shown on any detailed map, and many of them are owned by cruise lines as private islands.

My recollection is that the distance from the tender dock to a beach and food areas is about 100 yards, mostly level. I think I would ask on the ship and see if they could arrange some transport if needed, I seemed to remember that the staff had golf cart-type vehicles.

They do have beach wheelchairs. They are located in the area where you disembark from the tenders. They have huge big wheels to traverse the sand/beaches easily and they even keep a person afloat if you push them out into the water. Last we were there, there were several (4-5) of them.

Here's map of the The Bahamas showing the Berry Islands. CocoCay is located right about where the top right corner of the 'y' in Berry is.

http://www.bahamas-travel.info/maps/index.shtml

Here's a map of the Berry Islands showing specifically where CocoCay (Little Stirrup Cay) is.

http://www.the-bahama-islands.com/islandmaps/berrymap.html

• 2 months later...

On the picture of Coco Cay, it looks like there is a path going down the middle of the island. Can you walk that? HOw long would it take? Also, if you go in the opposite direction of the way this person went, what is on that side? It looks beautiful and peaceful there too. Also, in the area that they have labeled as the best beach area, are there lounge chairs available?

Thanks.

Maggie

We were there in November. I believe all the buildings on the right side of the island (on the map) were still there: Dive Shop, Bahama Jack's, Market Place, Coconut Willie's. We were looking for that Island Crossing, but encoutered "Staff Only" signs that kept us from going further West on the island, in several places. There were cranes and earth-movers in the area labeled Land's End.

You are unable to circle the island completely by beach or land. Once you get to "Land's End," you must come back the path going down the center of the island. The side of the island that the ship anchors on are cliffs and jagged rocks/coral. Also, the area just beyond the section labelled "best beaches," is also jagged rock/coral and I would suggest getting in the water to continue on to "Land's End."

I haven't been there in a few years, but at that time the only chairs that were in the "best beach" area were those that people carried themselves.

Archived