The Pearl pulled into Port Angeles on Sunday

cruisepal48

Boy, this one is very sad. I was gone but it was in today's paper with a picture of the NCL Pearl. It seems a 7 year old youngster was found in the pool, resuscitated him and took him to our local hosp. the airlifted to Harborview in Seattle. I sure hope he or she is OK I'll keep checking the paper. This is the 2nd ship to pull into our harbor this month for medivacs

Boy, this one is very sad. I was gone but it was in today's paper with a picture of the NCL Pearl. It seems a 7 year old youngster was found in the pool, resuscitated him and took him to our local hosp. the airlifted to Harborview in Seattle. I sure hope he or she is OK I'll keep checking the paper. This is the 2nd ship to pull into our harbor this month for medivacs

Do you have a link to an online article about this tragic incident?

We live in beautiful Port Angeles, Washington with a magnificent view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Victoria, BC and on a clear day - The San Juan Islands and Mount Baker.

During the Summer months we see the parade of cruise ships leaving Seattle and Vancouver and heading for Alaska. This past Sunday, we noticed that the Norwegian Pearl was sailing unusually close to shore, and not taking the right turn farther into the Strait than they usually do when approaching Port Angeles. In fact, they were sailing right into the harbor.

Once inside Port Angeles harbor, we watched as a boat zoomed up to them from shore, and the Pearl lowered a boat, apparently transferring someone to the shore boat. They then raised their boat while the shore boat zoomed back to land. The Pearl turned and headed out of the harbor, and back on its course.

We later learned from the local newspaper that a 7-year-old boy was pulled unconscious from one of the pools. He was treated locally at Olympic Medical Center, and then airlifted to Harborview Hospital in Seattle. No further information on his condition is yet available.

We have seen cruise ships detour into Port Angeles harbor 3 times in the past 2 years, apparently all for medical emergencies. It's terrible that these things happen, but I suppose the good news is that they happened while the ships were still relatively close to a place where they could be taken to a medical facility.

We live in beautiful Port Angeles, Washington with a magnificent view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Victoria, BC and on a clear day - The San Juan Islands and Mount Baker.

During the Summer months we see the parade of cruise ships leaving Seattle and Vancouver and heading for Alaska. This past Sunday, we noticed that the Norwegian Pearl was sailing unusually close to shore, and not taking the right turn farther into the Strait than they usually do when approaching Port Angeles. In fact, they were sailing right into the harbor.

Once inside Port Angeles harbor, we watched as a boat zoomed up to them from shore, and the Pearl lowered a boat, apparently transferring someone to the shore boat. They then raised their boat while the shore boat zoomed back to land. The Pearl turned and headed out of the harbor, and back on its course.

We later learned from the local newspaper that a 7-year-old boy was pulled unconscious from one of the pools. He was treated locally at Olympic Medical Center, and then airlifted to Harborview Hospital in Seattle. No further information on his condition is yet available.

We have seen cruise ships detour into Port Angeles harbor 3 times in the past 2 years, apparently all for medical emergencies. It's terrible that these things happen, but I suppose the good news is that they happened while the ships were still relatively close to a place where they could be taken to a medical facility.

How sad, we do pray that the youngster is fine. What a terrible way to begin a vacation. The transportation to Harboview does not bode well. We shall remember the family with much T&P.

Lucky you. That truly is a beautiful part of the country. We previously lived in Anacortes, Wa. with an equally beautiful view. Mt. Baker was magnificent every day that it revealed itself. Nothing like it that I have seen in all of our travels.

Keep us posted on updates, please.

What a terrible event. Best wishes to the young boy and his family.

It is fortunate that they were still in the Seattle area. Harborview is the regional Level 1 Trauma Center for Washington, Montana, Idaho and Alaska. If you have a serious injury in Alaska you may find yourself being transported to Harborview. There is a triage system depending on the injury with some patients being put on the next commercial flight and others (more serious and time dependent) having a plane chartered for them. My sister is a physician at Harborview and routinely sees emergency and non emergency patients from Alaska. To me, that is quite a trip to the doctor.

But again, best wishes for a positive outcome.

Any chance you can scan and post or email me a copy of the article? I do hope the little boy is okay and recovering from this tragic ordeal!

Hello Sue I live in Port Angeles also. I watch the cruise ships every Fri, Sat and Sun. This Sunday I was at Sol Duc soaking in the hot springs. When I came back I saw the article in the paper about the Pearl and the youngster. How sad is that:( Anyhow I just posted about the westerdam on July 6th and their visit to our port. I hope they got the boy out in time. I was just on the Westerdam in June. Yes we do have a beautiful town and county. I think the cruise ships would have a wonderful time in our city and with the wonderful Olympic National Park they'd have a wonderful time.:)

Not a Flame, just a reminder, and suggestion.

Please be cautious with insensitive statements.

We have lost a family member to drowning. The child in our instance, had jumped into the pool, and immediately disappeared. Later, we learned that he had been held under by a larger and older person. This was done playfully, but ended tragically.

Every member of our party were searching frantically to find the missing person. He was at the bottom of the pool - and by the time he was discovered, it was too late.

These are such terrible and traumatic accidents. Hopefully, the parties involved with this case are not exposed to any insensitive comments.

I'm sorry if this seems accusatory; that is not the intention.

This thread simply should not even suggest, even remotely that the parents were negligent in any manner.

Our prayers are with the family.

We have lost a family member to drowning. The child in our instance, had jumped into the pool, and immediately disappeared. Later, we learned that he had been held under by a larger and older person. This was done playfully, but ended tragically.

Every member of our party were searching frantically to find the missing person. He was at the bottom of the pool - and by the time he was discovered, it was too late.

These are such terrible and traumatic accidents. Hopefully, the parties involved with this case are not exposed to any insensitive comments.

This thread simply should not even suggest, even remotely that the parents were negligent in any manner.

I agree with SailAways - these types of accidents can happen in a split second, even with the parents being right there. A classmate of my daughter lost his 22 month old brother in a drowning. The toddler was sitting next to his mother, by a a hot tub. Friends of her's appeared & she turned to greet them. When she turned back, her son was gone. He was found at the bottom of the pool, next to a pair of sunglasses (he probably reached for them & fell in with them). This all happened in under a minute, with the parents being right there. These parents will have to suffer the loss & perhaps guilt for the rest of their lives.

I agree with Sail Aways. We do need to be sensitive. I am sorry to hear that you have had a similar experience. The important thing here is whether the little on is oK. Lets just pray that the parents and the little one are. This is horrible and I dont know what I would do if this happened to me or any member of my family. I have been checking this thread every day in hopes to hear that the little one is ok.

That's awful. I wasn't expecting this thread to be about something so tragic. I wonder why they didn't transport him by helicopter from the ship directly to Harborview Hospital. Our friend's 6 year old drowned in their pool a couple years ago. Just horrible.

Please keep us posted, but maybe no news is good news.

SailAways,

I am so sorry to here about your loss. I just cannot imagine what you and your family had to endure. Children are so quick, and terrible things happen in a flash.

I too, checks these boards everyday to see if the child is okay. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and hopefully, we will hear good news soon.

Sandy

I agree with SailAways - these types of accidents can happen in a split second, even with the parents being right there. A classmate of my daughter lost his 22 month old brother in a drowning. The toddler was sitting next to his mother, by a a hot tub. Friends of her's appeared & she turned to greet them. When she turned back, her son was gone. He was found at the bottom of the pool, next to a pair of sunglasses (he probably reached for them & fell in with them). This all happened in under a minute, with the parents being right there. These parents will have to suffer the loss & perhaps guilt for the rest of their lives.
WE too have lived with this nightmare. At one of our granddaughters birthday party a 5 year old drown in our pool. The parents were there, everyone was on the patio, no one was drinking, there was no reason something like this should have happened, but it did. To top it off there were law suites, lost friendships, a split marriage and many months and years of sorrow for everyone involved. The accident could have been prevented.

Let us hope this situation turns out to have a happy ending. Prayers to the family.

Nita

WE too have lived with this nightmare. At one of our granddaughters birthday party a 5 year old drown in our pool. The parents were there, everyone was on the patio, no one was drinking, there was no reason something like this should have happened, but it did. To top it off there were law suites, lost friendships, a split marriage and many months and years of sorrow for everyone involved. The accident could have been prevented.

Let us hope this situation turns out to have a happy ending. Prayers to the family.

Nita

We are so sorry this happened to you. We have five grandchildren and I can not image a greater horror.

Nick

Archived