Do guys ever cruise as a single?

JulPau9

My first cruise was as a single. The line put all of us singles at the same table for dinner; and it was THE best table. By the 2nd week of the cruise, we had a waiting list for that 8th seat.

My second cruise was at the invitation from some folk I met on my 1st cruise.

It is now my 3rd cruise, and am sailing alone again.

Why would anyone question doing anything alone? Perhaps, being an only child has its advantages.

My first cruise was as a single. The line put all of us singles at the same table for dinner; and it was THE best table. By the 2nd week of the cruise, we had a waiting list for that 8th seat.

My second cruise was at the invitation from some folk I met on my 1st cruise.

It is now my 3rd cruise, and am sailing alone again.

Why would anyone question doing anything alone? Perhaps, being an only child has its advantages.

When I mention to some friends that I am going on a cruise, the first thing they ask me is, who am I going with. I am an only child too and you just learn very young to do things on your own. I'm sure I will have a good time and it's a lot better than going to an all inclusive hotel and eating dinner alone

• 2 weeks later...

I have cruised alone and with family and friends. Cruising is great everyone is happy and friendly. I do get a little jealouse when the newlyweds are walking hand in hand in the sunset or holding hands at dinner. You should see my post about looking for man for a cruise. I won a cruise through my employer for Jan 9th out of New Orleans and it would be ashame to waist the other cruise faire. I am willing to give it away in exchange for a kind fun person for a week to enjoy laughing, site seeing, eating, etc etc. I only ask that the man pay his on on board expenses and tips all else is free. I am thinking of driving down to New Orleans for a day or so ahead to watch the wild folks play on Bourbon Street. I dont smoke, drink occational umbrella drinks, and I admit it play occational games of cruise ship horse raceing and bingo. For a complete discription check my post looking for a single non smoking male to cruise with I just posted today and let me know.

Go, you'll have a great time. Just, make sure you ask for a large table at dinner. I have cruised solo seven times and always had a great time. My last cruise started out at a table of eight for dinner by the end of the 10 day cruise we had 13 people for dinner.People who ended up changing tables came to our table and had such a good time took the other solo travelers from their other table with them to the new one that they changed to. It was the best table I've ever had. A cruise is the best vacation for a solo traveler.

If i was single i would DEFINATLY cruise solo! Hopefully i will be single soon (gotta kick some dead weight to the curb) and would like to cruise alone. I know when i was on the Zaandam earlier this year, there were a ton of single ladies on this cruise from every age group. Our table had two very attractive single ladies in their late 20's early 30's who were on the "prowl" (their words not mine!) plus you could do things on your own time and schedule

I'm booked on the Dec 18 MSC Opera Christmas cruise. With my wife and son off to Japan to visit her family, I am traveling solo for this cruise. Because I am travelling alone, I am particulary interested in finding others that will be on the cruise. Having some friendly faces to look for, at least to say hello, would be nice to look forward to. I would love to hear from anyone taking this cruise. Send me an email at Carl@yourcoach.biz.

I am a 35 year old guy. I have cruised solo four times...it is fine...to me cruising solo is just like any other travel solo. You make of it what you want to get out of it.

For me, I want to decompress and escape my clients. I am not looking for a love connection or to party. I want to rest. Not have to worry about where I am going to eat. Read. Sleep.

My experience has been that if you want to meet people, folks on board are very friendly. But, if you want to keep to yourself, no one seems to bother you either. In all of my cruising, I have only had one time where I was sitting and eating alone that I was invited to join another group so people are not pushy at all.

The positives are you control your time. You can do what you want without answering to a travel companion. Want to skip the port call? Go for it. Want to do a shore excursion? Have at it. You control the schedule.

Go for it.

• 1 month later...

I have no qualms about cruising alone; I've lived alone and enjoy myself wherever I go.

The question I have is the cost. On the lines I've cruised (Celebrity, Princess) the cost is double. Period. Where do you folks find these "deals" for singles? Do you just bite the bullet and pay the 200%?

I hate the thought of spending $4800 for a twelve day cruise that would ordinarily cost $2400 if I could find somebody with whom to travel. For that money, I could spend an entire month running around Italy.

Dina, if you poke around you'll find some cruise lines sometimes have lower single supplements. Silverseas sometimes has it down to 25%, my sister recently cruised with them with my father and the single supplement was low enough that they had their own cabins. I think Crystal often has similar promotions. While these are 'high-end' cruiselines, sometimes it works out about the same to a 'mass-market' line once you factor in their high single supplement surcharge.

Dina,

I booked this inside while aboard another cruise at a great rate of only $1,629 PP. This cruise is currently sold out. I am currently looking for a cabinmate.

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Fri Jun 17 Barcelona, Spain 7:00pm

Sat Jun 18 Nice (Villefranche), France 10:00am 11:00pm

Sun Jun 19 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 6:00pm

Mon Jun 20 Naples, Italy 8:00am 8:00pm

Tue Jun 21 At Sea

Wed Jun 22 Venice, Italy 1:00pm

Thu Jun 23 Venice, Italy 5:00pm

Fri Jun 24 Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jun 25 Corfu, Greece 7:00am 7:00pm

Sun Jun 26 At Sea

Mon Jun 27 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Tue Jun 28 At Sea

Wed Jun 29 Barcelona, Spain 8:00am

Passenger Pricing Details

Description 1 2

Cruise Fare $ 1,414.40 $ 1,414.40

Tax / Fees $ 214.60 $ 214.60

PASSENGER TOTAL $ 1,629.00 $ 1,629.00

Any interest?

MPW -

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cruiser -- you did get a nice price for that itinerary. You didn't mention which cruise line, though. Was it Holland? Thanks for the offer. My objective at the moment is to go with some friends from work who are doing a Princess 12 day from Venice - Greek Islands -- Rome next September. I am looking for a cabin mate for that itinerary.

I went on my first cruise this last summer solo and had a great time! Being it was my first cruise I think I tended to concentrate more on the experience than looking for someone. However, everyone I met was very friendly. My fellow dinner table guests and I got along very well - looked forward to meeting every night and talking about what we did during the day. Going solo to Hawaii this April on Carnival Spirit and really looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm booked for the Sun Princess March 19-th. And this is my very first cruise, and I'm going solo. I have to say I was somewhat worried, that I might have made the wrong decision, by deciding to go alone (since non of my friends were interested)...but after reading this thread, I don't think I need to worry about being lonesome! :)

Thanks!

Kristin

I was thinking about doing a back to back solo cruises, but couldn't find any resonable rates, so I decided to upgrade to a nice suite and do one December 7 night cruise on HAL.

This is my first cruise so I wanted to make sure I liked it before I spent $4000 on crusing.

Archived