Carnival on Victory to Canada

Gingee

I have read so much about fog and lousy weather to St. John's and Halifax that I am getting a little concerned about our trip on August 4th to those locations. How is it cruising in fog? I assume they use radar to "see". How about ports and such with the fog? Any experiences?

I just got off that cruise on Monday, 7/21. Yes, it was very foggy returning from St. Johns but I thought it was kind of fun. I've never cruised in the fog before. They have radar plus the ship is required to sound its fog horn frequently. I found this to be one of the most relaxing cruises I've had. Go and have a great time!!!!

Check out my pictures and video from our Victory cruise.

Depending on the temperature you may not have fog on your journey. The fog usually only affects your sailing. It is cool to sail in fog though. Romantic, eerie, scary. We liked it.

You shouldn't have trouble in the ports though.

Have fun. One of our favorite cruises.

Actually, there have been some really bad cruises on this itinerary! But most of them never get reported for some strange reason!

It's weird...

As if the passengers on the bad cruises aren't around any longer to post their experiences.

Fortunately, I did some research, and found this picture from a well made, scientific, Documentary on the cruise to Canada:

MV5BMTY0Nzk4NzA4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzQ3NTk4._V1._SX282_SY400_.jpg

Just to clarify, the cruise goes to Saint John not St.John's.... the first is in New Brunswick, the second in Newfoundland. Two different provinces. As a local I had to point this out because I see the mistake being made often. While I wish you were all visiting my beautiful home (St. John's, Newfoundland) you are not. :( What I wouldn't give for Carnival to come a little further East so I could see those ships more often!!

As for the weather here, in Newfoundland has been amazing for the last month, not sure about NB but hopefully you get an amazing cruise and remember to enjoy this chance to experience some of our beautiful country! Don't worry about weather, just relax and remember how great it is to be cruising!

Megan

I was looking at the Halifax webcams today with Victory in port - it stayed foggy all day. That seems to be fairly unusual, based on what I've observed. (Yes, I watch webcams way too much.:p) Last year when we were in Halifax (August), it was foggy in the morning but the fog burned off by lunchtime. The other two times we were there, we had no fog at all. If you're concerned about fog affecting an excursion, you might want to schedule your excursion for late morning/early afternoon to let the fog burn off.

Sailing in fog can be an experience - last year when we docked in Halifax, we didn't even know we were in port until we docked! However, I've never been concerned about navigation in the fog. Do be prepared for the ship's horn to sound every few minutes - it's loud. I actually like hearing the horn - it reminds me that I'm on a ship!

Actually, there have been some really bad cruises on this itinerary! But most of them never get reported for some strange reason!

It's weird...

As if the passengers on the bad cruises aren't around any longer to post their experiences.

Fortunately, I did some research, and found this picture from a well made, scientific, Documentary on the cruise to Canada:

Hmmmm, if they never get reported how do we know they are bad??????

Just to clarify, the cruise goes to Saint John not St.John's.... the first is in New Brunswick, the second in Newfoundland. Two different provinces. As a local I had to point this out because I see the mistake being made often. While I wish you were all visiting my beautiful home (St. John's, Newfoundland) you are not. :( What I wouldn't give for Carnival to come a little further East so I could see those ships more often!!

As for the weather here, in Newfoundland has been amazing for the last month, not sure about NB but hopefully you get an amazing cruise and remember to enjoy this chance to experience some of our beautiful country! Don't worry about weather, just relax and remember how great it is to be cruising!

Megan

Thank you for clearning that up Megan. It happens all the time.

Cheers from another fellow east coaster ( Cape Breton) . ( Living on the west coast now)

I am been on the Victory to Canada twice and while it is different from a cruise to warmer destinations it is still a lot of fun. The fog at sea is very interesting and a great experience, but I have also had some very nice days at sea.

Being from the east Coast and have visited the Caribbean by cruise, I have to say that if you go on an East coast Canada Cruise and expect it to be warm, THINK AGAIN! It's damp. At times so foggy you can't see, rain, hey, and it might even snow. Most people don't realize this when they book the cruise and come back disappointed that it wasn't HOT and clear blue skies. Grant it, sometimes you may get lucky and have absolutely gorgeous weather but most times not. It's a risk you have to take.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest! :p

I was looking at the Halifax webcams today with Victory in port - it stayed foggy all day. That seems to be fairly unusual, based on what I've observed. (Yes, I watch webcams way too much.:p) Last year when we were in Halifax (August), it was foggy in the morning but the fog burned off by lunchtime. The other two times we were there, we had no fog at all. If you're concerned about fog affecting an excursion, you might want to schedule your excursion for late morning/early afternoon to let the fog burn off.

Sailing in fog can be an experience - last year when we docked in Halifax, we didn't even know we were in port until we docked! However, I've never been concerned about navigation in the fog. Do be prepared for the ship's horn to sound every few minutes - it's loud. I actually like hearing the horn - it reminds me that I'm on a ship!

You're right, it was very foggy here today and it never really burned off. July is one of the foggiest months but it almost always burns off by late morning but today it just stuck around all day.

I have read so much about fog and lousy weather to St. John's and Halifax that I am getting a little concerned about our trip on August 4th to those locations. How is it cruising in fog? I assume they use radar to "see". How about ports and such with the fog? Any experiences?

:) We cruised to Halifax on the Victory out of NYC in August 2006.

We had great weather and the water out there the entire trip was so calm it was like a sheet of glass. We did have fog that night on the way back from Halifax and into the next morning. The ship would sound its horn every few minutes. It was kind of strange in a creepy way sitting on the balcony in that fog. We enjoyed our cruise & would look forward to another one of those foggy days/nights just to experience that again.

We had a pool deck cabin in June 2006. The ship sounded it's horn every couple of minutes for hours one night. Real spooky, especially going out on deck. Dank and foggy. If we had known the conditions, would have brought "costumes" and taken some interesting stills on the top open deck. Got to go with the flow. This is not the Caribbean, definitely not a sun and fun beach cruise.

I am not really a hot weather, beach going person, so I love the northern cruises!!! Call it weird, but I find the fog very nostalgic -- it reminds me of the old movies where scenes of transatlantic voyages often were foggy with the fog horn blowing. I've been on a few of the Victory 4-5 day Canada cruises, and yes, the quality of the food can be hit or miss, but overall, it is an excellent value.

We had a pool deck cabin in June 2006. The ship sounded it's horn every couple of minutes for hours one night. Real spooky, especially going out on deck. Dank and foggy. If we had known the conditions, would have brought "costumes" and taken some interesting stills on the top open deck. Got to go with the flow. This is not the Caribbean, definitely not a sun and fun beach cruise.

I have been telling people it is not a 'conga line' cruise............I find it great for relaxing........

What about those "bad cruises"? What do you mean by those?

I just put a pair of jeans and jeans capris in the suitcase in case of cold weather.

I also bring a sweater to wear if we walk on deck at night (or to sit on the balcony)

What about those "bad cruises"? What do you mean by those?

I just put a pair of jeans and jeans capris in the suitcase in case of cold weather.

Gingee, please don't worry. Just through a light jacket or sweater in the suitcase and you'll be fine. When it's foggy, it tends to be a little cool on deck. No worries. They put the roof over the rear pool so it's nice and warm back there. Truly, this was one of the MOST relaxing cruises I've been on. I absolutely loved it. I wasn't expecting much because it's a short cruise that doesn't go to a 'sunny place'. I was delighted to find the food onboard to be first rate, service was superb and Saint John is a beautiful place!!!! Best of all, there is tons to see and do for free. No need to take a ship's excursion. Do your research on the internet and you'll find many, many things to see and do.

I honestly think this cruise is one of Carnival's best kept secrets. I want to go again and I think I will!!!!!!

I am not really a hot weather, beach going person, so I love the northern cruises!!! Call it weird, but I find the fog very nostalgic -- it reminds me of the old movies where scenes of transatlantic voyages often were foggy with the fog horn blowing. I've been on a few of the Victory 4-5 day Canada cruises, and yes, the quality of the food can be hit or miss, but overall, it is an excellent value.

It sounds like the old Get Smart episode "Ship of Spies".

We were fogged out of Bar Harbor on the Crown Princess last fall. If you want to see what the fog looks like from a shore tender here you are:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2148844480051360669gLgsPR

Nothing like a good fog horn to clean out your ears. Add to that the atmospheric effect of the fog rolling across the Movies Under The Stars screen.

Bon Voyage

It's weird...

Well I am around and I know Mr Pete is too.

I disliked this cruise very much.. And foggy isnt the word! It was not erie or creepy ( i like erie ...) It was depressing... hardly anyone was outside.. no band no music.. boring boring boring.. Thank god the people in Canada were lovely and welcoming or it would have been a total bust.

As I have said on other threads, you would not get me on the Victory again for free.... Just my opinion...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d931b3127ccec1c10edb228e00000010O00BYtGbdy3ZMQe3nwc/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d931b3127ccec1c1c692a39300000010O00BYtGbdy3ZMQe3nwc/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

Well I am around and I know Mr Pete is too.

I disliked this cruise very much.. And foggy isnt the word! It was not erie or creepy ( i like erie ...) It was depressing... hardly anyone was outside.. no band no music.. boring boring boring.. Thank god the people in Canada were lovely and welcoming or it would have been a total bust.

As I have said on other threads, you would not get me on the Victory again for free.... Just my opinion...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d931b3127ccec1c10edb228e00000010O00BYtGbdy3ZMQe3nwc/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d931b3127ccec1c1c692a39300000010O00BYtGbdy3ZMQe3nwc/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

Even if it was a free Caribbean cruise with the music, people on deck and lots of fun??????

Even if it was a free Caribbean cruise with the music, people on deck and lots of fun??????

Nope.. and honestly this is my opinion and not many people would agree with me.. Alot of people loved the Victory and I am very happy they loved it

This is the worst /ugliest ship we have ever been on.. between staff/activity/decor.. yes decor! I think Farcus played hookey from design class when they discussed the use of color! TOO MUCH GREEN>> can we say nausea!

So no not for free.... but I would inquire if I can use it to upgrade to the Miracle or another ship LOL!:p

Archived